The Student Room Group

Work Experience In A Primary School...

I've got work experience at my old primary school for every Wednesday but got a meeting tomorrow, but in a booklet it says that I can't wear jeans or trainers...I don't know what to wear for my meeting and first day. I do have other clothes and shoes other than jeans and trainers, like them smart jumpsuits and flats but I don't really like wearing baggy clothing on my bottom half, I don't mind on my top half. What should I wear?
I just wore smart skinny trousers with flats and switched up the top and cardigans/jumpers/blazers each day. I like River Island's skinny trousers the best, they're quite pricey but everywhere sells them tbh.
In a primary school you'll be wanting clothing you can move around in such as chinos or skinny trousers. Make sure you have a highish necked t-shirt or top, and maybe a cardigan (my personal favourite when near small humans - easy to remove if you encounter snot monsters and much more dignified than trying to remove a jumper) and a pair of flats would be ideal.

H&M and similar shops are ideal for schools - fashionable enough to not feel like a lump, cheap enough to be washed constantly if snot-demons come near you, and comfortable to move around in.
for your first day I'd definitely go smart just to be safe. It's always better to overdress than under dress. Just wear a smart skirt or dress (if you're a girl) or trousers. If you really want to wear jeans then just make sure they're black and not ripped. Just wear some flats for shoes and a shirt. Just try out different combinations of clothes from whatever is in your closet and I'm sure you'll find something that looks smart. You can dress way more casually after your initial meeting but it's best to make a good impression :smile:
Original post by velvethopes
I just wore smart skinny trousers with flats and switched up the top and cardigans/jumpers/blazers each day. I like River Island's skinny trousers the best, they're quite pricey but everywhere sells them tbh.

Thankyou, I'll have a look round River Island tonight.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
In a primary school you'll be wanting clothing you can move around in such as chinos or skinny trousers. Make sure you have a highish necked t-shirt or top, and maybe a cardigan (my personal favourite when near small humans - easy to remove if you encounter snot monsters and much more dignified than trying to remove a jumper) and a pair of flats would be ideal.

H&M and similar shops are ideal for schools - fashionable enough to not feel like a lump, cheap enough to be washed constantly if snot-demons come near you, and comfortable to move around in.

Thankyou, I have highish neck t shirts or tops and lucky enough they are comfortable. I'll have a look around River Island for some skinny trousers tonight.
Original post by AutumnSummers
for your first day I'd definitely go smart just to be safe. It's always better to overdress than under dress. Just wear a smart skirt or dress (if you're a girl) or trousers. If you really want to wear jeans then just make sure they're black and not ripped. Just wear some flats for shoes and a shirt. Just try out different combinations of clothes from whatever is in your closet and I'm sure you'll find something that looks smart. You can dress way more casually after your initial meeting but it's best to make a good impression :smile:

Thankyou, I'll have a look tonight.
I work at my old primary school and have done for over a year, never had clothing requirements O.o Other than the obvious of don't dress skimpy cause y'know, kids.

I wear the most smart-casual outfit I have, which is a dress with leggings and a pair of boots. Also if you have long hair, keep it tied up, nits are a pain.
Original post by Blood_Orange
I work at my old primary school and have done for over a year, never had clothing requirements O.o Other than the obvious of don't dress skimpy cause y'know, kids.

I wear the most smart-casual outfit I have, which is a dress with leggings and a pair of boots. Also if you have long hair, keep it tied up, nits are a pain.

Thankyou, but what do you mean by skimpy? And don't you worry I will keep my hair tied up.
Original post by Blood_Orange

Dress with leggings is also ideal! You have quite a bit more wiggle room in primary - as long as you're comfortable and can meet the needs of students, you're generally fine :smile:
Late reply, but kids can get grabby sometimes, like try and pull clothing and stuff, and you'll never hear the end of it if they see your underwear ;-: If I wear skirts and dresses, leggings make me feel comfortable that I won't be in that situation. I prefer to wear hoodies and stuff as well, I feel like as long as you're not going in in crop tops and stuff you'll be good.

Quick Reply

Latest