The Student Room Group

Should I have been taxed?

So I got my first pay a few weeks ago and have only just got my payslip. It says that I have been taxed 20% of my earnings even though I earn less than £11,500 a year. I only work 12 hours a week part time in retail I earn less than £150 a week. In total I've been taxed just over £200 because I got paid for 2 months in one go. I'm unsure if I was actually meant to be taxed and if not how do I go about fixing it?
Reply 1
I think I might know the problem actually. My tax code is 0T and according to the government website this means that my employer doesn't have the details they need to give me a tax code. I definitely remember filling in a P46 at my induction I guess they just lost it. Should I talk to my employer or HMRC to sort this out?
HMRC is who you need to speak with.
It means you're on a basic rate tax code. You have no personal allowances at your current job so you'll be taxed at 20%.

As you said, you're entitled to £11850 per year personal allowance, so once HMRC has all your details regarding this employment and any past employment they can amend your tax code accordingly.

The tax you pay will be rebated on your next pay once HMRC has issued a new tax code to your employer.
Original post by Unknown-99
So I got my first pay a few weeks ago and have only just got my payslip. It says that I have been taxed 20% of my earnings even though I earn less than £11,500 a year. I only work 12 hours a week part time in retail I earn less than £150 a week. In total I've been taxed just over £200 because I got paid for 2 months in one go. I'm unsure if I was actually meant to be taxed and if not how do I go about fixing it?

You have been given the wrong tax code.
With it being your first pay day, the tax office has assumed you will be earning enough to be taxed.
Phone the tax office an they can sort it.
And an overpaid tax will be paid back you you, usually next pay day.
Original post by DieselGate

The tax you pay will be rebated on your next pay once HMRC has issued a new tax code to your employer.

I wouldn't be sure about that. The last time this happened to me I had to wait until after April the following year to receive a cheque back from HMRC in the mail with the money they owed me. That was a while ago so maybe they've gotten better, or maybe it depends upon the way the employer handles PAYE, but from my experience, it's not always possible to get the money back so quickly.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by winterscoming
I wouldn't be sure about that. The last time this happened to me I had to wait until after April the following year to receive a cheque back from HMRC in the mail with the money they owed me.

Doesn't work like that anymore, pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. You don't have to wait until the new tax year for any repayments.
Reply 7
Hi I phoned HMRC on Thursday and they've sent the correct tax code to my employer. They said the money will be repaid in my next pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending