The Student Room Group

Should I do a HND or go straight to University?

Hey there!

I'm a 17 year old second year Games Design student. Video games are my passion and I'm determined to be successful in the industry, mainly in programming. Soon I'll need to make a decision about what I want to do for Higher Education(or if I want to do it at all) but right now I'm split. I'm not sure whether I want to do a HND and then University after or go straight to University.

I've heard loads about how important University is to get a good job and how I'll regret it if I don't go now, but what I've seen so far is... disappointing to say the least. I went to an Open Day last saturday and the first and second years of the Game Design course there were composed almost exclusively of stuff I already know. Shaders was the only one I haven't learned about at home or in my two year College course. I don't want to spend two years doing pretty much nothing but going over stuff I already know, especially with costs for accommodation and student loans being so high.

So I looked at a HND and it seems like the perfect solution. I'd still learn new stuff at a lower price, and I'd be able to go straight up to the third year of University afterwards. But from what I've read online people say that going straight to University is the better option, and other people I've talked to keep mentioning how I'll regret it if I don't go to University now while I'm young.

I've also considered going straight into work. I already have a job as a programmer for a small Indie company but I'm not sure I want to place all my eggs in one basket and gamble on one path. The Games Industry is still new and it could be a risky decision, especially with such a small company that doesn't have as much financial backing.

I know you've probably heard all this before but I'm indecisive and I want to get a second opinion before I make my decision. Is it better to go straight for University, or do a HND? Or should I do neither and go straight into work? Maybe this will help me make up my mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending