The Student Room Group

Feel too dumb for uni

I’m in the second year of college doing a Btec diploma and hoping to either go to Exeter Uni or Bristol UWE, but I feel that everyone else is going to be much more intelligent than me due to the fact that I didn’t do A-levels. Does anyone else feel the same, and should I just go for it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
if anyone calls you dumb at UWE just say is that why you’re at UWE and not University of Bristol.

As for Exeter, yeah I highly suggest you just lie you did a-levels lol but don’t feel dumb, it just means they’re good at repeating textbooks. Tell most these people to think for themselves and we’ve got a problem
Reply 2
Original post by Hmt27
I’m in the second year of college doing a Btec diploma and hoping to either go to Exeter Uni or Bristol UWE, but I feel that everyone else is going to be much more intelligent than me due to the fact that I didn’t do A-levels. Does anyone else feel the same, and should I just go for it?

It honestly doesn't make a difference whether you did A-level or BTEC once you reach uni, especially since it doesn't contribute to intelligence whatsoever. Everyone has a different background and would honestly not care.

With that said, I can honestly say from my own experience that a large amount of people severely lack common sense in terms of looking after themselves, and surviving on their own without their parents.
Absolutely go for it. Any route into university is valid.

I'm currently doing a second degree, and both times I did alternative qualifications to school-leavers.

The first time I did a HND in Media and Communication before going on to do a degree in Filmmaking & Screenwriting. The fact my classmates had all taken exams and were heavy into the theory, whereas I had been made to prioritise practical skill, was a little daunting at first. But I adjusted to it fairly quickly.

The second time I did a HNC in Applied Science before going into a degree in Biomedical Science. I definitely felt disadvantaged here, in that the rest of the class were all on the same page and I was definitely behind. It took me a lot of the year to feel like I 'caught up'' to them. But my practical skills were applauded and I was directly asked if I'd done a HNC after a lecturer checked my practical results at the end of one lab, saying that it was normal for people who had undergone the course I had to have a better grasp of certain skills than school leavers. So in a way I benefitted from taking a different route even though I felt I was missing some core knowledge at first.
Original post by Hmt27

There are plenty of thick people at both. You don't need to feel less than just because you happen to have studied a BTEC.
Reply 5
I had a little bit of this in m first year because I was common as muck, older than the rest of them, and had gone in from what just about everyone would class as a shite, low-skilled job.

But it was fine. And you will be fine. Really.
Reply 6
I felt the exact same way when I started Uni a year ago. Trust me, just because you have done a BTEC doesn't mean you're thick (despite the course's reputation).

I was really scared to go to Uni because I thought I was going to fail everything. I had already been depressed for the 2 years on the course because I missed the A-level requirements by the skin of my teeth. It damaged my self-esteem due to the fact that I felt like my intelligence was my best quality at the time. It didn't help that there are many posts online that basically ridicule BTEC students that are apparently "the first ones to drop out."

I passed my first year of my BSc with a first. For most of my assignments, I'd usually get between 70% - 90% for my total grade. I'd say this is partly because I really enjoy what I am studying. I had the impression that because it was Uni everything would be impossibly hard. Turn's out, not the case. Point is, as long as you spend enough time studying (but don't overdo it), you should be able to get the right grades.
Original post by Hmt27

Hey look I did A levels .... But got EEE.

Still got a degree after a little bit of downtime and a professional qualification . Sometimes it just takes a bit longer. If you want to go to university you will go. Just don't do a silly degree.
Reply 8
I want to do either law or law and criminology together, as I thought doing those two together may be more helpful for me due to the fact that I’m not too sure of what exactly I want to do in the future, however I have heard that law is quite hard but these are the only subjects that interest me.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending