The Student Room Group

telling my parents I want to go to uni

I'm finding it very difficult to tell my parents that I want to go to uni especially my mum. I just spoke to my dad about it he wasn't really impressed when I said I'd have to move away

look I'm not looking for permission from them but I do need to tell them. I do a hell of a lot for my mum look after her kids a lot so I'm always here but I just want to do something for me once and think about my career and my future.

she isn't a very easy women to talk to and has a short temper so if anyone has any advice please help.

Scroll to see replies

She's your mum, you're not hers. You go to uni and your mum looks after her own kids - if she disagrees, put it to bed and apply anyway. Get someone in school to help you sort everything without your parents help and get friends to help you pack up and take your stuff to uni.
Reply 2
Thank you 😊 I just feel so guilty for wanting my own life from my mum and her kids my life constantly has to revolve around her I'm 22 not a child any more I'm fed up of feeling like a child.
Original post by Hannahldx96
I'm finding it very difficult to tell my parents that I want to go to uni especially my mum. I just spoke to my dad about it he wasn't really impressed when I said I'd have to move away

look I'm not looking for permission from them but I do need to tell them. I do a hell of a lot for my mum look after her kids a lot so I'm always here but I just want to do something for me once and think about my career and my future.

she isn't a very easy women to talk to and has a short temper so if anyone has any advice please help.

Tell her you need to speak to her about something, and then calmly tell her you will be going to uni and you will be moving away. Give her notice so she can sort out alternative child care. If she gets upset remind her that you are one of her children too and you are not a babysitter for her kids. Remind her you have a life as well and you have the right to do what you want with it.

Hope it goes well
Reply 4
Thank you so much! I know all this I just need the confidence to tell her and I'm quite scared of the result really.
What's her issue? And why are you finding it difficult to tell her?
Thank you so much! I know all this I just need the confidence to tell her and I'm quite scared of the result really.

If you're too scared to tell her face to face, try writing it down in a letter and giving it to her. This way you can say everything without being interrupted if she gets angry
Reply 7
That's very true, thanks for the idea !
[QUOTE="Hannahldx96;80379950"]Thank you so much! I know all this I just need the confidence to tell her and I'm quite scared of the result really.[/QUOTE

Try to find a university that is nearer to your parent's house (If nothing works out at the end) I'm sure there is plenty of them. It will mean that you can visit your parents or them visiting you more frequently (If that's what your parents want)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
because she relies on me a hell of a lot looking after her other children , she's a single parent see and I'm the oldest child so I look after her kids for her to go to work and stuff
[QUOTE="Suleman_Ak;80380008"]
Thank you so much! I know all this I just need the confidence to tell her and I'm quite scared of the result really.[/QUOTE

Try to find a university that is nearer to your parent's house (If nothing works out at the end) I'm sure there is plenty of them

there is but not of the courses I want to do
because she relies on me a hell of a lot looking after her other children , she's a single parent see and I'm the oldest child so I look after her kids for her to go to work and stuff

She can't expect you to put your life on hold.
[QUOTE="Hannahldx96;80380036"]
Original post by Suleman_Ak

there is but not of the courses I want to do

What course are you hoping to do?
I know I know, I know I have to tell her all this but she's a very difficult women to talk to

Try to find a university that is nearer to your parent's house (If nothing works out at the end) I'm sure there is plenty of them. It will mean that you can visit your parents or them visiting you more frequently (If that's what your parents want)

Why? OP should go to the uni that she wants to and is best for her, wherever that is. It's her life, not her parents'.
Original post by Duncan2012

Why? OP should go to the uni that she wants to and is best for her, wherever that is. It's her life, not her parents'.

Yes I know, I would always go for what your dream is. I said and I quote "If nothing works out at the end"
What course are you hoping to do?

Korean Studies and the one I want to do is in Sheffield, I'm from South Wales

I'm sorry to hear you feel your parents won;t be supportive - you just need to sit them down and explain why you want to go and where you are looking at. If you think they will get angry then maybe involve a teacher?
Korean Studies and the one I want to do is in Sheffield, I'm from South Wales

That's an amazing course,

What do you want to become a Translator?, Teacher? or.....

I think its important showing to your mother what profession you will get at the end, What salary you will get, What you could eventually be.

Show her a video of that profession - that will make her happy of what you could become
I'm 22 so I left school a while ago 😂 but about a year ago I found the course I really wanted to do my dad was supportive until he founded out I'd have to move away

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending