The Student Room Group

Would you report a red light jumper?

Today I was approaching traffic lights and they changed to amber. I carried on and I think they changed to red just as I was passing through and I feel bad and am worried. There's no red light camera but if someone got it on dash cam and reported it is it likely I would get points?
I doubt anyone would report it, but why did you not slow down and stop when they changed to amber? If it turned to red as you were passing through then you would have had enough time to stop safely.
Read this as light red jumper and was confused
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
I doubt anyone would report it, but why did you not slow down and stop when they changed to amber? If it turned to red as you were passing through then you would have had enough time to stop safely.

Honestly, yes I would have had time to stop but I just had a complete brain fart. I was changing lane to get into the right turn lane as I was turning right at the lights and I just sort of didn't pay enough attention to the lights even though I clearly saw it change to amber. The traffic on the other side was still stationary when I went through their light only went green after I had gone through and was in the process of turning. I won't be doing it again for sure.
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly, yes I would have had time to stop but I just had a complete brain fart. I was changing lane to get into the right turn lane as I was turning right at the lights and I just sort of didn't pay enough attention to the lights even though I clearly saw it change to amber. The traffic on the other side was still stationary when I went through their light only went green after I had gone through and was in the process of turning. I won't be doing it again for sure.

Glad it wasn't anything more serious.
Reply 5
Not at all. We all make mistakes and snitches are a dying breed.
Some jobsworth might if they're having a bad day, but realistically, nothing will likely come of it. Just be aware that some lights have very tight timings, particularly at night, where two conflicting directions can both show amber at the same time, so even if you have to go hard on the old anchors, it's probably best to do so unless you're gonna get rear ended. I wouldn't advise doing it if you were being closely followed by a HGV for example, they can stop very quickly, but not as quick as a car, sudden braking could mean as much as 44 tonnes of lorry rear ending you... Not a pretty sight.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TheMcSame
Some jobsworth might if they're having a bad day, but realistically, nothing will likely come of it. Just be aware that some lights have very tight timings, particularly at night, where two conflicting directions can both show amber at the same time, so even if you have to go hard on the old anchors, it's probably best to do so unless you're gonna get rear ended. I wouldn't advise doing it if you were being closely followed by a HGV for example, they can stop very quickly, but not as quick as a car, sudden braking could mean as much 46 tonnes of lorry rear ending you... Not a pretty sight.

Yeah I've noticed some lights have tight timings (this one doesn't) but I always seem to have that moment of hesitation on whether I should stop or not because being a young driver I'm so anxious about making mistakes as getting points on my licence would make my insurance unaffordable. It just worries me that someone could report it if they have dash cam footage even though it was a misjudgment on my part and I didn't have any bad intentions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending