The Student Room Group

Driving test - reversing manoeuvres

Hi

So I’m hopefully doing my driving test in a couple of weeks, if there’s one thing I struggle with the most it has to be the reversing manoeuvres, particularly the reverse bay park.

How do I get control of my speed? Before releasing the handbrake should I get the clutch just below the biting point if that makes sense? Would that even work? How much acceleration Should I use?

Thanks
Original post by Apple2017
Hi

So I’m hopefully doing my driving test in a couple of weeks, if there’s one thing I struggle with the most it has to be the reversing manoeuvres, particularly the reverse bay park.

How do I get control of my speed? Before releasing the handbrake should I get the clutch just below the biting point if that makes sense? Would that even work? How much acceleration Should I use?

Thanks

With manoeuvres the examiner is looking for good clutch control and awareness. You need to get the car in the bay obviously but that’s the easy part.
It doesn’t matter how slow you go during the manoeuvre as long as your showing you have control of the clutch and vehicle.
Make sure you’re checking your mirrors for cars and people around you because they can fail you for observation.
So, when you’ve positioned your car and you’re ready to start the reverse bay park, you’ve get the handbrake on and your ready to go.
1. Put the clutch down and select reverse
2.Keep your right foot over the brake and only touch it if you need to.
3. Check your mirrors, find the biting point, take the handbrake off and start your manoeuvre. Again it’s not a race, take your time and you’ll be fine
(edited 5 years ago)
Literally the best part with doing the manuvure you can go really slow, just take your time, if another car has to wait a minute for you to do it then so be it, that 1 minute lost for them is another 50 years of driving for you.

When doing any manuvure just ensure your clutch control is so accurate, just little nudges up and down to go back and forth, ensure you are alligned correctly, correct steering and always make sure you do your 6 point check and the stupid looking swingy thing where you just look over each shoulder quite aggresively.

Hope some of that made sense and helped you out.

I am on about 11 hours now and im booking my test for next month.

I also have my own car so i can private practice so if you can get insured on a parents vechile or any car then it would be great for you as you can literally go and spend loads of hours on manuvures if needed
Original post by MrCole&Co
Literally the best part with doing the manuvure you can go really slow, just take your time, if another car has to wait a minute for you to do it then so be it, that 1 minute lost for them is another 50 years of driving for you.

When doing any manuvure just ensure your clutch control is so accurate, just little nudges up and down to go back and forth, ensure you are alligned correctly, correct steering and always make sure you do your 6 point check and the stupid looking swingy thing where you just look over each shoulder quite aggresively.

Hope some of that made sense and helped you out.

I am on about 11 hours now and im booking my test for next month.

I also have my own car so i can private practice so if you can get insured on a parents vechile or any car then it would be great for you as you can literally go and spend loads of hours on manuvures if needed

Blind spot*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending