The Student Room Group

Becoming a Magistrate at 18

Hi guys,

I've been considering becoming a magistrate since last year now, I've just been waiting to hit 18, god I feel old.

I've read a few articles of people becoming magistrates at roughly around my age (the youngest magistrate is 19), but I was wondering if any of you have been, or are magistrates.

Additionally, there aren't any vacancies for the role around me locally so I'd be either applying for ones in Kent or London. Will this reduce the chances of my application succeeding?

Any advice would be appreciated. :smile:
I've Looked into this myself before when I was around the same age. As far as I remember its pretty much mandatory to live in the same area that you want to volunteer as a magistrate for because magistrates are supposed to be repressentative of, and knowledgable about, their local area. If there are no vacancies where you live then maybe wait until you are at university and apply to your local court then.
Original post by Mwasher711
I've Looked into this myself before when I was around the same age. As far as I remember its pretty much mandatory to live in the same area that you want to volunteer as a magistrate for because magistrates are supposed to be repressentative of, and knowledgable about, their local area. If there are no vacancies where you live then maybe wait until you are at university and apply to your local court then.

That's what I remember and have been told too but my stepdad seems convinced it's otherwise (to avoid criminals you may recognise/know) but I'm going to look into that one myself.
And yeah I might just do that, if not I'm going to email my local committee asking if they could notify me when such comes up, if not, waiting for uni is probably the best option. thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending