Need help with buying a laptop. Watch

SleepyD69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I really need a new laptop. I'm hopefully going to uni to study civil engineering so it needs to be half decent. I have a decent budget of £750, but don't really know what's decent specs for that price.
If anyone could help that Would be great.
Also, 2-in-1s and surface pro things, they any good?
Daybd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I've got a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series 7553 i5. It would probably be £780-ish, but keep your eye out for black friday deals... Anyways, it's a fantastic laptop, and is speedy. The build quality is superb too and it also is quite light (tho not as light as a macbook)... It is also convertible and has a nice touch screen. Battery life, however, is a bit of a shame as it hardly lasts 4 hours normal use. Other than that, a pretty good laptop for the price. IMO
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SleepyD69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Daybd)
I've got a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series 7553 i5. It would probably be £780-ish, but keep your eye out for black friday deals... Anyways, it's a fantastic laptop, and is speedy. The build quality is superb too and it also is quite light (tho not as light as a macbook)... It is also convertible and has a nice touch screen. Battery life, however, is a bit of a shame as it hardly lasts 4 hours normal use. Other than that, a pretty good laptop for the price. IMO
Thanks for replying. So even if I don't get the exact same model, you'd recommend Dell laptops?
Incarcarus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SleepyD69)
Thanks for replying. So even if I don't get the exact same model, you'd recommend Dell laptops?
just wondering, what year are you in?
Daybd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For a Window's laptop, I would most certainly recommend Dell. Their laptops give you the bang for the buck. There's some more affordable options from Acer and some other companies but they're not durable.
Rxven
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If you’re budget is £750 consider getting a tower, if you need a laptop I would suggest specs such as intel core i5 4690k as the processor, the graphics card should be possibly a nvidia gtx 960 or less if you’re not looking for a powerful laptop, with 8gb ddr4 ram but if you’re gaming get 16gb ddr4 ram. If I were you get some headphones and a wireless keyboard and mouse for class as it might be easier to type on, your choice.
Rxven
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Also, the two in one laptop and tablet devices are good, however do cost a lot of money, and may not be too fast depending on if it’s a newer model, also make sure you get windows 10
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
similar situation, budget:£400
Rxven
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
Have a look on google, type in laptops £400. Check on overclockers uk
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Rxven)
Have a look on google, type in laptops £400. Check on overclockers uk
cheers
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I really need a new laptop. I'm hopefully going to uni to study civil engineering so it needs to be half decent. I have a decent budget of £750, but don't really know what's decent specs for that price.
If anyone could help that Would be great.
Also, 2-in-1s and surface pro things, they any good?
Any idea what sort of hardware you're after, or the software you might be using? Normally I'd recommend an i5 8250U and 8GB of RAM but idk what sort of software you'll be using so that may not cut it. I wouldn't have thought you'd need more power though.

The £750 budget is kind of weird. It's where gaming laptops and cheap ultrabooks start popping up. IMO, if £750 is your absolute budget and you don't need a GPU then dropping down to around the £500-600 mark would be ideal. You'll easily be able to get a Dell Inspiron with the above CPU/RAM and an SSD for that price. Plus you can get student discount.

If you're able to stretch that budget, I'd recommend looking at ultrabooks. The Dell XPS 13 is one of the best ultrabooks available right now, but is a little outside your budget. But with Black Friday deals and/or student discount it becomes an option if you can stretch that budget a little.

Generally I wouldn't bother with the Surface Pro. It's a really good device and the refresh to 8th gen processors takes away one of my biggest complaints, but the display is a little small for getting work done and personally I wouldn't want to type on it for long periods of time. If you want and will benefit from a touch screen or a 2 in 1 then it's a solid option but not something I could actively recommend for most people.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Would be worth making your own thread with exact details. Your exact situation may vary slightly but we have a laptop request form specifically for these types of threads. You'll get more replies if you start your own thread though.

That said, £400 isn't an ideal budget. The recommendaiton I usually give of i5 8250U and 8GB RAM is difficult to find in the £400 price bracket. More commonly it's found at £500-600. If you can stretch your budget now, it'd be worth it (you can get student discount to help out) but if not, you're going to be looking at an i3 of some sort and 8GB of RAM. This is a fairly drastic downgrade since you're likely to lose 2 cores (i5 8250U is a quad core, most i3 are dual core) and it may be very noticeable on an engineering course.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Would be worth making your own thread with exact details. Your exact situation may vary slightly but we have a laptop request form specifically for these types of threads. You'll get more replies if you start your own thread though.

That said, £400 isn't an ideal budget. The recommendaiton I usually give of i5 8250U and 8GB RAM is difficult to find in the £400 price bracket. More commonly it's found at £500-600. If you can stretch your budget now, it'd be worth it (you can get student discount to help out) but if not, you're going to be looking at an i3 of some sort and 8GB of RAM. This is a fairly drastic downgrade since you're likely to lose 2 cores (i5 8250U is a quad core, most i3 are dual core) and it may be very noticeable on an engineering course.
Don't mind getting 4gb, will upgrade ram later
SpangleMagnet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Just going to say- I can't help on the spec side, but I have a similar budget for my laptop search and my plan is to wait until the January sales. Might be worth it if you can't find any good deals over the 'Black Friday' craziness.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SpangleMagnet)
Just going to say- I can't help on the spec side, but I have a similar budget for my laptop search and my plan is to wait until the January sales. Might be worth it if you can't find any good deals over the 'Black Friday' craziness.
True. I have a 1 or 2 laptops i could buy
SpangleMagnet
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
True. I have a 1 or 2 laptops i could buy
Going into things with a mental shopping list is a good plan. I'm literally going to write down my absolute basic needs and go from there as I am clueless in other aspects!
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SpangleMagnet)
Going into things with a mental shopping list is a good plan. I'm literally going to write down my absolute basic needs and go from there as I am clueless in other aspects!
I'm going to some computer shops which sell new laptops amd see if I can get a hood price
SpangleMagnet
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Good luck in your search!
Professor Oak
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
We've got some good laptop deals for Black Friday in this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4976936

Quick summary:

Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Don't mind getting 4gb, will upgrade ram later
That's not really a practical option. Upgradable memory is unfortunately becoming less common. But more importantly, you'll struggle to find an i5 8250U paired with 4GB of RAM. It's a terribly unbalanced configuration and I don't think I've ever seen one. You won't have trouble finding an i3 and 8GB of RAM but will struggle to find a modern i5 and 4GB. TBH the performance difference between a dual core (i3 or older i5) and a quad core i5 is drastic enough that it's worth waiting until you can afford an i5 model device.

To put it bluntly, if you need a workhouse laptop for an engineering course, £400 won't cut it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads