The Student Room Group

Uni accommodation or privately rent?

XX
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by armanigal
So I am starting uni in January very last minute and am deciding on accommodation! The uni is in London with no private halls however they do have recommended accommodation which I am considering.
However, I have had a look at private flats also and have found a nice one in an area I am familiar with. Not sure how much bills would be but it seems like it’ll actually be slightly cheaper! However what would I miss out on if I decide to live alone first year instead of living in uni accommodation? I am from London so I don’t know how much I’d miss socially as I can have my current friends over in my new flat, I have a sound system and a 50 inch TV so can have my own parties! But don’t know if I’d be cutting myself off to new friends at uni by doing this. Also the uni flat has a free gym which I would definitely be using. The social life there would be great and it’ll give me the proper uni lifestyle and a fresh start, not just me starting uni and sticking with my old friends in my flat... I would definitely like to make new friends and I know I can do this through societies etc. but I feel like it’ll be so much easier doing it with people you live with. A thing that’s putting me off though is strict rules... I wouldn’t be allowed my TV in my uni flat and definitely not my sound system! Also I would only be allowed 2 guests to stay over at a time and 24/7 staff presence makes me feel like I’m still in school! I want a social life but I also want my own space!
So, people that lived in halls or the like? Was it worth it? Or would you have lived alone if you had the chance? Do you think it’ll ruin the uni atmosphere if I decide to live alone from the first year?
By the way, rereading this I know it sounds like I’m just concerned about my social life.. I will study! Just trying to have fun as well! Oh yeah. The uni accommodation has study rooms and the private flat will obviously be my own space where I can have peace and quiet to work when I need to, if that helps.

If it's cheaper and you make sure you make the effort to get to know people outside of where you are living, i can't see a problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending