The Student Room Group

Misophonia - My family hates me

My name is Jasmyna and I have Misophonia. For those of you who don't know what Misophonia is, it is basically where certain sounds (for some people textures and other stuff is affected) cause an inproportionate reaction.

My misophonia is triggered mostly by chewing sounds (also slurping and swallowing) and voices (muffled voices, whispers, TV through walls). Misophonia is worst when triggered by people you're close to.

Family dinners are a nightmare for me. Within 30 seconds I am a raging beast. I am naturally short tempered and this just makes it worse. Whenever I try and explain why I'm so angry my family tells me to "stop being stupid", that I should "grow up" and that I'm doing it to "annoy them".

They actually chew louder to upset me. No, I'm not overreacting. They've admitted that they do it. They just don't care.

Please help me. I feel like they hate me!

Even my littlest siblings, Sophie and Danny (they're 8) hate me!

I'm only 12 so I have to live with them for at least 6 more years!

Does anyone else have misophonia? Can you help me please?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Lol I have misophonia aswell
I hate chewing sounds and humming sounds the most - I use head phones, I don’t eat with my family and I’m thinking of getting ear defenders ( the ones they use on building sites) I may look ridiculous but idrc
Am not sure if i have this, i am very sensitive to sounds and some noises like motorbike engines and the noise of hoovers through walls really cause me distress and make me rock around clutching my head. I dont know how to deal with it really apart from just avoiding where possible, you're family sound like ********s am sorry :/
@The_Lonely_Goatherd might know some tips
I have misophonia too. It's a real struggle. I burn inside but I have to stay quiet and suffer without anyone knowing. My family knows I have it but obviously they don't always remember and I don't expect them to. I'm not a queen to demand that people chew differently every time they eat. But at the same time I think everyone should be a little more self conscious when they're eating. Like sometimes I'm like, how can you not realise that you're munching extremely loudly?
Reply 4
Thank you to people who have replied, I might try the ear defenders!
Problem is, I have a close relationship with most of my family - it's only my dad and my older brother who try to upset me. I don't want to ruin relationships with my mum, my little brother and my sisters. I feel like they already kind of hate me but I'm hoping if I persevere with trying to explain misophonia they will begin to understand. I feel like if I use ear defenders and stop talking to them they will hate me more!
I think my mum is starting to understand - I will keep trying!
I have it too. I don't think its anything we can fix in the short term but there are measures against it. For me it's mainly swallowing, chewing and any sound with saliva really, and I find using earphones while eating to block the sound out definitely helps. If that isn't convenient, maybe look for some wireless/Bluetooth earphones? I really know how you feel, but I think we have to understand that it's an irrational phobia and any attempt to make them shut up just won't work. As much as you feel like exploding and running out of the room, I think your best bet is to block the sound out with earphones! It's a bit of a pain but it does work for me.

I hope you get through it!
Reply 6
Would your family let you have the radio/music on during mealtimes? I have misophonia and that helps a bit and is gonna seem less 'antisocial' to people who don't understand the condition than wearing ear defenders. Persevering with explanations is a good idea - if you need proof that its actually a thing to show people there's stuff online: websites such as the misophonia institute, a documentary called Quiet Please which is available on amazon/itunes, and quite a few news articles as well as scientific research. If you can get them to understand that its legitimate your family might be more accomodating of what you need to do to cope at mealtimes. It's annoyingly one of those things there isn't really a cure for, but research is being done so you never know.
Reply 7
I might try the music thing. It would be a lot better than headphones for me personally.
Reply 8
Hi. I too have misophonia and 8 i get the reaction to sounds. I was referred to the mental health team and i had EMDR treatment. It helped a lot. Google it and read up on it. They use it on soliders who have post traumatic stress but i found it really helped me. It hasnt gotten rid of the annoyance completely but i dont feel the rage and anger anymore. Print something out about misophonia and show your family. Its a hard thing to understand but that may help. Thats what i did. And please dont feel like its you or you are at fault. Its a mental health condition that is out of your control and you deserve support. Best of luck.
I have the same issue and my parents shout at me when I complain and go in a bad mood I hate eating dinner with my mum as she chews loudly and slaps her mouth and licks her fingers loudly and it disgusts me and it frustrates me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending