The Student Room Group

does skin colour matter

Scroll to see replies

No it does not. It's the features.
Original post by ANM775
Whilst it does appear the government is doing something,
If it was "black on white" .. I think the government would be doing a lot more to try and combat the problem.....

Uh, no.. what like covering up the rape and slaughter of white children for 20+ years?
Children being abused and not being safeguarded is due to bias from the people in power to do so. Their bias is based on class and seeing people from estates as not worth the resources as they assume they will only be a further drain on the economy. They then get neglected in all sorts of ways including the one you're talking about which is wrong.

Bu who are the people forming these economic policies? It's the people we have positive biases for. They wear nice suits, they smile and appear at all the right times to connect with the people. They get into power and then betray the people who put them there.

If we broke down these race, gender and class based biases then we wouldn't have the same wealthy white males controlling the decisions on everything. We have access to the opinions of middle class asian women, working class asian women, middle class black women, working class white men, wealthy white women, working class black women, middle class white women, middle class black men etc. as well as all the European, north and south American people here in the uk. From able bodied to disabled, young and old.

Why is it popular opinion that only Etonians and oxbridge married men within a certain age are fit to run the country. Could it be because their wealthy school chums who control the media tell us to think so? How many female PM's have there been? disabled PM's? working class female MP's, black PM's? Asian PM's?

A variation of people contributing to the economic decisions, thoughts and ideas to distribute balance of cultures and ways to live would benefit everyone.

I taught nutrition and the amount of times I've had people say "Im from the Caribbean, i only eat this" "I'm asian so i only eat that" Food for the body is food for the body. Olive oil from India is good for you as is turmeric from India.

As far as the younger generation, its very cool to go to notting hill carnival and have some jerk chicken or go to some pop up food place and snap for the instagram. But how many people actually learn new ideas in the modern age from science to art to clothing from other cultures or even from different genders?

It would require enquiring about ideas from those we don't already know about and to do so would mean...overcoming biases.

This conversation started out as being about skin colour but biases based on skin or whatever only keep people in the exact same place they were already in.
Original post by QWERTYUIIOP

Why is it popular opinion that only Etonians and oxbridge married men within a certain age are fit to run the country. Could it be because their wealthy school chums who control the media tell us to think so? How many female PM's have there been? disabled PM's? working class female MP's, black PM's? Asian PM's?A variation of people contributing to the economic decisions, thoughts and ideas to distribute balance of cultures and ways to live would benefit everyone.

Who cares? Quite frankly I don't want people chosen because of their 'token' status, this is why the country is going to pot. These forced arbitrary quotas to put little 'ticks' on a list.

I'll vote for people based on their competence and the policies that they stand for thanks, not to virtue signal or gain 'social brownie points'.

Uh, also you realize it's the people who vote MPs in right? You want to install a dictatorship and forcibly have MPs put into power to fill your arbitrary quotas? If you want those MPs then you have the option to vote for them? Or stand yourself! Nobody is stopping you.
Original post by TommyDH
Who cares? Quite frankly I don't want people chosen because of their 'token' status, this is why the country is going to pot. These forced arbitrary quotas to put little 'ticks' on a list.

I'll vote for people based on their competence and the policies that they stand for thanks, not to virtue signal or gain 'social brownie points'.

Uh, also you realize it's the people who vote MPs in right? You want to install a dictatorship and forcibly have MPs put into power to fill your arbitrary quotas? If you want those MPs then you have the option to vote for them? Or stand yourself! Nobody is stopping you.

No-one is suggesting installing token anyone. Do you not think it possible that anyone of these people could possess genuine talent and ability? As soon as you see someone who is different you in a position you assume it could only be box ticking and not because of talent. I dont want boxes being ticked because of virtue siganalling either, but I do want the possibility of looking at a wider range of genuine talent's from the talent pool.

Your attitude is like a football manager forbidding a foreign player in your team because it might look like box ticking, but what if that person is cantona, ronaldo or zola, or henry, bergkamp or anyone of the other talented foreign players who have played in this country. Or do you think they should all just go back home?
Original post by username3059626
studies say women have racial preferences and asian women do not prefer there own race, etc
https://theblog.okcupid.com/race-and-attraction-2009-2014-107dcbb4f060

I kinda can confirm asian women prefer someone from aother race
No-one is suggesting installing token anyone. Do you not think it possible that anyone of these people could possess genuine talent and ability? As soon as you see someone who is different you in a position you assume it could only be box ticking and not because of talent. I dont want boxes being ticked because of virtue siganalling either, but I do want the possibility of looking at a wider range of genuine talent's from the talent pool.

Your attitude is like a football manager forbidding a foreign player in your team because it might look like box ticking, but what if that person is cantona, ronaldo or zola, or henry, bergkamp or anyone of the other talented foreign players who have played in this country. Or do you think they should all just go back home?

Literally what? The strawman of all strawmen.

Where did I say any of that?

I said, and I quote
I'll vote for people based on their competence and the policies that they stand for thanks

That means if I think a woman is best for the job I'll vote for the woman. But because of her policies, not because she has a vagina.
If a Chinaman is best for the job, and has the best policies, I'll vote for the Chinaman. But because I like what he has to say, not because I want to virtue signal.
If a straight, white man is best for the job, I'll damn well vote for the straight, white man too. Unapologetically.

Nobody is stopping you from voting for who you want. Who is prohibiting you from voting for people "from a wider pool"? There's no laws preventing them from standing, nobody is discouraging them. Quite the opposite.
Original post by TommyDH

The point is that if we had people from different economic backgrounds they might take care of people from a wider range of backgrounds, like the girls being targetted that you mentioned instead of focusing their policies on their rich mates.
Original post by Anonymous
Literally what? The strawman of all strawmen.

Where did I say any of that?

I said, and I quote

That means if I think a woman is best for the job I'll vote for the woman. But because of her policies, not because she has a vagina.
If a Chinaman is best for the job, and has the best policies, I'll vote for the Chinaman. But because I like what he has to say, not because I want to virtue signal.
If a straight, white man is best for the job, I'll damn well vote for the straight, white man too. Unapologetically.

Nobody is stopping you from voting for who you want. Who is prohibiting you from voting for people "from a wider pool"? There's no laws preventing them from standing, nobody is discouraging them. Quite the opposite.

Obviously not. But what is stopping them from winning and gaining access to the power to make wider social changes. Biases.

You said the situation has been going on for the last 20yrs. Perhaps it would have stopped by now or not happened at all if people from a different background gained access to the decision making. Someone from that estate elected as MP or PM would have had more power to protect and safeguard them. But they would not get elected because of biases.

If the same people with the same attitudes are in control then the same issues continue to be ignored and the reason the same people with the same attitudes stay in control is because people keep upholding the same biases.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well what do you think. If Rihanna and lupita nyong'o swapped colours would their respective attractivenesses increase or decrease in the eyes of men of the western world? I think we all know the answer.

I've seen attractive women with Lupita's skin colour, like 9.5/10. So your opinion is a bit presumptuous.
I just don't particularly think Lupita's facial structure/features are attractive, so it's not actually about her skin colour - if she had Rihanna's skin colour, Lupita would still be below average for me. Plus I don't find her short hair attractive. Neither would I find it attractive on Rihanna.
it's nothing , kings or rulers of deferent countries created this difference for oil power and nothing!
I think it is extremely weird to base your dating life on how much melanin a person has.
Reply 192
for attractiveness

Everyone has a preference
Original post by PlacidMongoose
Or they actually are more involved in violent crime? It's not media bias, it's a fact?

How do you know its facts. All you know is there are alot of them being reported. You think its impossible that other crimes arent being reported or put in the news on the same scale? Why the term black on black?
As though two people of the same race fighting is exclusively a black issue? They dont say white on white.
Other than crime, what about the media bias on Raheem sterling? coded language? Why do modelling agencies insist on black models scowling and looking angry in photoshoots? Why do certain pundits want to attack Pogba over his hairstyle and refuse to give him credit on anything (It isnt all the pundits but if you watch football then you know who I'm talking about)

The media have long made money selling stereotypes based on the assumed reader predejuces. Black boys are gangsters, white poor people are chavs and benefit cheats, muslims are this, etc. They rarely balance the images they portray. They could do a story about a white working class male on the estate who has started a business or a black woman who has launched a crowd funding for a film etc. Its just stereotypes of everyday people, celebrities, then adverts on how upgrade your lifestyle with clothes, holidays and houses to try to match said celebrities.

So its just "Im better than these people" turn page... "I wish i was like these people" ... turn page "I can buy this to be better" Taps into everyones classed obsessed conciousness. If they didn't do that no-one would be hearded along to spend and keep away from the people being stereotyped and keep up with the people the media praise. They attack anyone who they feel don't have a voice who they can use for their formula. I dont even think its a thing against black guys personally it's just whoever they can use. People buy into it and they get their money shaping public opinion.

Some call it racist, to some its business. Either way it can affect people and it attempts to compromise their ability to enact changes.
(edited 5 years ago)
How do you know its facts. All you know is there are alot of them being reported. You think its impossible that other crimes arent being reported or put in the news on the same scale? Why the term black on black?
because blacks are disproportionately committing crime against other blacks. How can black on black crime ever be solved if you don't want anyone to ever talk about it or come up with solutions?

Here's an excerpt from the Office of National Statistics, now bare in mind the black population of London is only 10%
-They commit 30% of all gun crime, despite being only 10% of the population
-25% of knife victims are black (gang fighting)
-32% of rapes committed by black people, despite being only 10% of the population
-59% of robberies committed by black people, despite being only 10% of the population

This isn't bias or media portrayals, these are cold hard facts and statistics. Unless all those dead victims and rape victims and robbery victims are just making it all up in your head.

So no, it isn't racist to talk about these issues, because if we don't talk about them not only will the issues get worse for victims but also for black people. How did covering up Rotherham, Rochdale, Telford etc work out? How divided the country is now because of it. Covering things up and ignoring them doesn't make them go away, it makes them fester and slowly boil up. Sooner or later it'll explode into the mistrust, violence, hatred and tensions you claim to want solved.

As though two people of the same race fighting is exclusively a black issue? They dont say white on white.

Because gangs of whites aren't going around killing other gangs of whites for fun. I don't have London's statistics on hand but I'll have a look through databases later, but here's the FBI statistics. Now see where black on black comes from?

Other than crime, what about the media bias on Raheem sterling? coded language?

Never heard of him, don't care. But I'm assuming it's just in your head.

Why do modelling agencies insist on black models scowling and looking angry in photoshoots?

That's called supply & demand. Welcome to the free market. Would you rather live in a brutal communist dictatorship?
God don't answer that, I'm afraid I already know the answer.

Why do certain pundits want to attack Pogba over his hairstyle and refuse to give him credit on anything (It isnt all the pundits but if you watch football then you know who I'm talking about)

His hair is ridiculous, if you're a public figure you're going to be criticized and mocked. Welcome to the free world. George Bush gets called a monkey, Trump's hair is made fun of almost on a daily basis. So you're saying the media has a racial bias against white people? Well to be fair they actually do, but that's unrelated to their mocking of Trump's hair. You're being neurotic over nothing.

The media have long made money selling stereotypes based on the assumed reader predejuces. Black boys are gangsters, white poor people are chavs and benefit cheats, muslims are this, etc. They rarely balance the images they portray. They could do a story about a white working class male on the estate who has started a business or a black woman who has launched a crowd funding for a film etc. Its just stereotypes of everyday people, celebrities, then adverts on how upgrade your lifestyle with clothes, holidays and houses to try to match said celebrities.

You know I actually agree with you here. My only exception is the media shouldn't lie. If black people are going around in gangs stabbing everyone then the media should report it. Or it'll just keep getting worse and before you know it entire UK has turned into Detroit. But I agree they should report both sides, definitely.
Original post by MQE99
Everyone has a preference

A racist preference
Original post by GraduateLynx
A racist preference

So does someone not being into short men make it a heightist preference? Does me being attracted solely to women make it a homophobic preference? Or wanting to date a woman who is seventy years old make it an ageist preference?

Nothing wrong with having a racial preference.
Reply 197
Original post by GraduateLynx
A racist preference

It's racist to have a preference?
It does matter for me personally.
because blacks are disproportionately committing crime against other blacks. How can black on black crime ever be solved if you don't want anyone to ever talk about it or come up with solutions?

Here's an excerpt from the Office of National Statistics, now bare in mind the black population of London is only 10%
-They commit 30% of all gun crime, despite being only 10% of the population
-25% of knife victims are black (gang fighting)
-32% of rapes committed by black people, despite being only 10% of the population
-59% of robberies committed by black people, despite being only 10% of the population

This isn't bias or media portrayals, these are cold hard facts and statistics. Unless all those dead victims and rape victims and robbery victims are just making it all up in your head.

So no, it isn't racist to talk about these issues, because if we don't talk about them not only will the issues get worse for victims but also for black people. How did covering up Rotherham, Rochdale, Telford etc work out? How divided the country is now because of it. Covering things up and ignoring them doesn't make them go away, it makes them fester and slowly boil up. Sooner or later it'll explode into the mistrust, violence, hatred and tensions you claim to want solved.

Because gangs of whites aren't going around killing other gangs of whites for fun. I don't have London's statistics on hand but I'll have a look through databases later, but here's the FBI statistics. Now see where black on black comes from?

Never heard of him, don't care. But I'm assuming it's just in your head.

That's called supply & demand. Welcome to the free market. Would you rather live in a brutal communist dictatorship?
God don't answer that, I'm afraid I already know the answer.

His hair is ridiculous, if you're a public figure you're going to be criticized and mocked. Welcome to the free world. George Bush gets called a monkey, Trump's hair is made fun of almost on a daily basis. So you're saying the media has a racial bias against white people? Well to be fair they actually do, but that's unrelated to their mocking of Trump's hair. You're being neurotic over nothing.

You know I actually agree with you here. My only exception is the media shouldn't lie. If black people are going around in gangs stabbing everyone then the media should report it. Or it'll just keep getting worse and before you know it entire UK has turned into Detroit. But I agree they should report both sides, definitely.

So why arent they launching journalism into the causes of the effects? You know why? No money in it.

People who don't know realise how the game works buy into it and then it helps people form biases and predjudices . But based on what you're saying it's all fair game. Well if it is indeed all business then what? everyone just focuses on getting their money at the expense of whoever wherever? What type of society does that lead to? A very divided one. Much more than what were seeing now and something more like the dramaticaly divided segrated American one. and with Brexit around the corner with no deal on the cards is that what people actually want? The UK isnt perfect, but its better than that. But who knows perhaps thats what alot of people want. If they do then thats their choice. I'll leave you guys in the UK to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending