The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do next

Background: 1st class hons undergrad
Currently studying MRes

I am 4 months into my MRes which I have not enjoyed at all (for various reasons) but sticking it out as I dont want to have wasted the time, money or effort in getting here.

I started this course with a desire to study a PhD, but now that I am hating my MRes it has put me off so much.

My MRes is medical science based and havent a clue what to do next. I need to start thinking ahead and applying for things to start in September - I was unsuccessful in getting an interview for Astrazeneca Grad Scheme :frown:

I was wondering if anyone else had gone from clearly knowing they wanted to do a PhD to deciding against it and what other options were out there?
Original post by Salll93

I was wondering if anyone else had gone from clearly knowing they wanted to do a PhD to deciding against it and what other options were out there?

There's only one practical option (save joining a closed religious order, dropping out and selling shells on a beach in Goa etc) and that's to get a job. The fact you started with a different plan doesn't really change the options. Get down to your uni Careers centre and look at the careers info, there will still be visits being made by recruiters etc, but get on with it, we are currently peak job application season, so if you are only picking it up now, you need to catch up a bit.
Astrazeneca isn't the only company you could apply for, try some of the smaller ones? I'm sure they'd be interested in giving an interview to a 1st class student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending