The Student Room Group

How much caffeine should I have per day?

At present I find it difficult to get through the day without at least 2 cans of Emerge, and 3 cans of Old Jamaican Grape Soda. Is this a healthy amount of caffeine to be consuming on a regular basis? The caffeine has little effect on me now, but without it I become moody, irritable, and start trembling. Should I go see my GP? Should I just drink more caffeine?
Reply 1
It sounds like you have a caffeine addiction, you should probably see your GP.
I would try Moose juice if I were you, it contains more caffiene and is absolutely brilliant, going to the doctors is for neeks. :headbang:
Reply 3
Original post by EmergeLover21
At present I find it difficult to get through the day without at least 2 cans of Emerge, and 3 cans of Old Jamaican Grape Soda. Is this a healthy amount of caffeine to be consuming on a regular basis? The caffeine has little effect on me now, but without it I become moody, irritable, and start trembling. Should I go see my GP? Should I just drink more caffeine?
So, two cans, running, what, 148mg of caffeine? How old are you, and how much (ish) do you weigh?

If it's not having any effect but withdrawal, you should probably stop using it anyway.

Original post by anderil
It sounds like you have a caffeine addiction, you should probably see your GP.
~150mg/day of caffeine isn't a lot, it's three cups of coffee - and I've had that by 9am, most days. Also caffeine isn't that addictice, and 150mg is about 1/10th the toxic dose for an average adult.
Original post by Tootles
So, two cans, running, what, 148mg of caffeine? How gay are you, and how much (ish) do you weigh?

If it's not having any effect but withdrawal, you should probably stop using it anyway.

~150mg/day of caffeine isn't a lot, it's three cups of coffee - and I've had that by 9am, most days. Also caffeine isn't that addictice, and 150mg is about 1/10th the toxic dose for an average adult.

Exactly, caffiene tastes great and will just keep you going.
Original post by Tootles

“Caffeine isn’t that addictive”

It is when you realise you can’t stop having it because of the withdrawal symptoms 🙏🏻
Reply 6
Original post by ArthurWilliams
Caffeine has no taste.

Original post by FloralHybrid
“Caffeine isn’t that addictive”

It is when you realise you can’t stop having it because of the withdrawal symptoms 🙏🏻
I've been a caffeine addict. I was on nearly ten times the dosage OP is on (~1200mg) at my worst. The withdrawal, when I stopped (before starting again, limiting my intake severely), was mild lethargy and headaches. We're not talking hangover level either, we're taking tired-because-you-woke-up-an-hour-too-early level.

Then again I experienced no withdrawal when I quit morphine and only very mild headaches when I am without nicotine in my syetem, so maybe I'm more or less immune to withdrawal symptoms in general :iiam:
Original post by ArthurWilliams

Emerge sure does taste good. Sometimes only a litre bottle will do though, you know?
Original post by Tootles
I've been a caffeine addict. I was on nearly ten times the dosage OP is on (~1200mg) at my worst. The withdrawal, when I stopped (before starting again, limiting my intake severely), was mild lethargy and headaches. We're not talking hangover level either, we're taking tired-because-you-woke-up-an-hour-too-early level.

Then again I experienced no withdrawal when I quit morphine and only very mild headaches when I am without nicotine in my syetem, so maybe I'm more or less immune to withdrawal symptoms in general :iiam:

Oof, thats pretty rare - For most it’s either the lack of energy from not having that caffeine that really hits them, or it’s pretty bad headaches and muscle aches.

I guess for some it’s a mental addiction, they reach for coffee as a source of energy and when the tiredness hits it’s an instinctive reaction

I wish I had your lack of withdrawal symptoms 😂 pls share
Reply 9
Oof, thats pretty rare - For most it’s either the lack of energy from not having that caffeine that really hits them, or it’s pretty bad headaches and muscle aches.

I guess for some it’s a mental addiction, they reach for coffee as a source of energy and when the tiredness hits it’s an instinctive reaction

I wish I had your lack of withdrawal symptoms 😂 pls share
I can also drink most of the people I know under the table :wink:
Try to decrease your caffeine consumption by limiting it to a strict amount each day/week, and reducing it each time. If you struggle severely with that, then you should probably seek medical help.
Original post by Tootles
I can also drink most of the people I know under the table :wink:

Ayyy, my issue is I can drink a hell of a lot, and it doesn’t affect me much during that night, a good 3/4 hours after I finish drinking I can still be fine, I rarely feel the effects of being drunk, even with straight small vodka shots, and yet the next morning I’ll be vomiting endlessly and have a throbbing head? How can someone not feel the effects of drink but feel the after effects 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Ayyy, my issue is I can drink a hell of a lot, and it doesn’t affect me much during that night, a good 3/4 hours after I finish drinking I can still be fine, I rarely feel the effects of being drunk, even with straight small vodka shots, and yet the next morning I’ll be vomiting endlessly and have a throbbing head? How can someone not feel the effects of drink but feel the after effects 😂
Drink more water or stay away from shorts.
Original post by Tootles
Drink more water or stay away from shorts.

Probs wise, I just wanna be drunk without the cost and the aftereffects 🔫

Quick Reply

Latest