The Student Room Group

Psychology andwork experience

I study psychology in uni and I was wondering what time of work experience would I need? Should I apply to a mental health hospital? Do I need it? I'm confused about the work experience but apparently it'll be good. Where should u start and what places should u apply to?
Original post by Anonymous
I study psychology in uni and I was wondering what time of work experience would I need? Should I apply to a mental health hospital? Do I need it? I'm confused about the work experience but apparently it'll be good. Where should u start and what places should u apply to?

You can volunteer for MIND, any work work within the hospitals I guess. 24h helplines are a good idea too.
what do you want to do after uni?
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
what do you want to do after uni?

Become a mental health psychologist x
Reply 4
Original post by random_matt
You can volunteer for MIND, any work work within the hospitals I guess. 24h helplines are a good idea too.

Can I apply to a psychiatric hospital? Would they accept students?

Unlikely.
Become a mental health psychologist x

do you mean a clinical psychologist?

look at the path you need... you'll need a good mark in your degree, with good dissertation, several years experience (usually low paid) and then do a competitive 3 year doctorate

for now any voluntary work with vulnerable groups- mental health, teaching assistant, mentoring, homeless, drug/alcohol, disability etc

It's possible they will have health care assistant roles but they won't take you as a volunteer
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
do you mean a clinical psychologist?

look at the path you need... you'll need a good mark in your degree, with good dissertation, several years experience (usually low paid) and then do a competitive 3 year doctorate

for now any voluntary work with vulnerable groups- mental health, teaching assistant, mentoring, homeless, drug/alcohol, disability etc

Eeekkk I’m not smart enough to become a clinical psychologists😭
Eeekkk I’m not smart enough to become a clinical psychologists😭

ok just mental health psychologist isn't a job...
Or do you mean train to become a therapist? If so, there are many different types

Quick Reply

Latest