The Student Room Group

Am I too young to propose?

By the time I want to propose (end of summer this year) I will be 20 and my girlfriend will be 21. We would have been dating 3 and a half years and have been best friends for 7 years. We don’t plan to get married until our mid to late 20s and have had many serious conversations about the future and know each other inside out. Is this too early/young for me to propose? What do you think?
Original post by Anonymous
By the time I want to propose (end of summer this year) I will be 20 and my girlfriend will be 21. We would have been dating 3 and a half years and have been best friends for 7 years. We don’t plan to get married until our mid to late 20s and have had many serious conversations about the future and know each other inside out. Is this too early/young for me to propose? What do you think?

I don't think there's a set age which is right to get engaged, it depends on both of your views and how ready you feel. You may need to consider factors like finances. At the end of the day do what makes you happy, anyone who has a problem with that has their own problems :tongue:

Do what's right for you both, I was 21 when I got engaged and married at 22 and it was perfect for us.
Reply 3
From what I've seen I would say only get engaged when you're ready to set a firm date to get married. To do otherwise seems to create an unusual pressure within the relationship. Plus what's the benefit really. But you're best to judge what works for you.
I wouldn't say it's too young if you'll be 20 since in earlier days it was the norm for people (though, of course, there is a much different culture now to then). You seem to know each other well enough. Good luck! I'm happy for you. :h:

If you'll be happy then go for it. You've been together a while and if you want to marry her then ask her! Don't worry about what others think, only your thoughts matter.
Do whats right for you. However as you have said you have had conversations about this, about getting married later on - keep it in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending