The Student Room Group

"I don't want to pay tax for the NHS"

Hi everyone, just wanted to know your thoughts on this. My flatmate said he doesn't want to pay tax to contribute towards the NHS as he never uses it (so it's a waste of his money as he is really healthy), says the NHS is "****ing ****" because GPs misdiagnosed things wrong, and the fact his hairdresser had problems with a broken which wasn't looked after right.

I know he is wrong and not right to think this way, but I can't put together a enough points for an argument (I just can't express my ideas).

Please can someone explain why in society we pay tax for the NHS, how lucky we are to have universal healthcare, and how hard NHS staff work!

Many thanks!
I think his point about barely having used it himself is a) largely irrelevant and b) actually quite self-absorbed - presumably his friends, family, or loved ones have also benefitted from it at some point?

It’s also worth noting that you’re not paying taxes for what you use right at this moment, but for what you use throughout your life; it’s not particularly uncommon to not need to use the NHS as much when you’re younger, or to be healthy at that stage, but that doesn’t mean he won’t need it later.

In the unfortunate situation he had a serious condition of some kind, would he be able to afford to be treated privately, even if it had long-term impact? If not, that’s part of his direct benefit from the NHS too.
Reply 2
The way I see it even if you aren't often using the NHS that tax goes to emergency care (like the ambulance service) so you're kinda paying insurance for if you randomly get into a car crash or some idiot drops a piano on you.
I was also just having a conversation with somebody who had never used the NHS in their youth but has since had multiple procedures like hip replacements so like Shadow said there's that long term to think about.

I was a perfectly well person for a good part of my life, but a couple of years ago I started having issues with my health. I've had multiple tests and procedures which should have costed prices like £70 for blood tests or closer to £1000 for scans.
For a good part of my life I'd have been paying taxes for nothing, but then suddenly those taxes would be standing between me and bills with 3 zeros. Sounds worth it to me.

That's not to say the NHS is without its problems, but it does still provide an important service and one which can be very worth it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kindred
or some idiot drops a piano on you.

Hate it when that happens
My house isn’t on fire right now, so why should I pay taxes for a fire service?
If people dont want to pay, they shouldnt have to. If someone is not using a system, its COMMUNIST to require them to pay still.For example, Speaking personally, ive not needed the NHS in about 6 years. Im not wealthy, but i can handle any medical bills myself if NEEDED. I never leech from our welfare state, even though im being forced to pay through the nose towards it. So why should i pay for something i never use, and if i DID need to use it, id cover my own costs instead.See, heres an idea. You say some people cant afford it and therefore its ouhttps://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/record.php?do=list&userid=5522508r duty to pay. Okay so answer me this: why is it my duty to pay for other peoples health? its not my or anyone i know's health. This is not selfish of me, its just basic human survival - take care of yourself and those who you know.If we abolished free money to lazy butts who wont work (NOT cant work - thats different oc), much larger sums of money would be saved. Those who care most (i.e. those who WONT work and who LEECH from the welfare system here in the UK, and just want free healthcare to boot), will then have jobs and can pay for their own meds,The problem is not that those who dont want to be part of the NHS are selfish. Its that those who say the NEED the NHS, and expect others to foot the bill for their *****y health forever more are the selfish ones.

Latest