The Student Room Group

Physically attracted but concerned about other oddities

I've always had a thing for people with particularly high levels of intelligence (I like intellectual conversations). I've never paid much attention to physical appearance, which shows in the kind of people I get attracted to being all over the traditional 'scale' of beauty that I have made a major effort to not use. However, I have noticed some oddities with this girl/woman. She has occasional random outbursts of frustration (gets very easily overwhelmed). She has relatively low emotional maturity compared to most of my peers (but not significantly less) and the one she was very clear about is that she does not like physical touch. AT ALL. I have never seen her give (or accept) hugs from anyone. Are these red flags that suggest I should completely ignore my physical (and mental) attraction, or are they things that are not uncommon ?
(edited 5 years ago)
it sounds like she might have some form of autism which isn't an 'oddity' but it can make people seem less socially adept and more intelligent
Reply 2
If it's someone you're interested in, get to know them. That way you can learn more about them and whether you personally would be comfortable with her. The things you describes are certainly quirks, but not rare ones, and I'd never recommend writing someone off completely, especially based on as little as you described. Get to know them more and see if you're comfortable with her.
Reply 3
Original post by RikaX97
If it's someone you're interested in, get to know them. That way you can learn more about them and whether you personally would be comfortable with her. The things you describes are certainly quirks, but not rare ones, and I'd never recommend writing someone off completely, especially based on as little as you described. Get to know them more and see if you're comfortable with her.

I've spent enough time with her recently that people think we're dating. But we're not. And she is certainly on the quiet side, which doesn't help as i'm also on the quiet side. However, once we start talking (and we both have time), the conversations flows fairly naturally.
Just pull her
Reply 5
Original post by Richardmark19
Just pull her

Not my style. I prefer to take things slowly. Attraction usually takes several weeks for me to notice because it sets in very slowly.
Original post by Aayush :)
Not my style. I prefer to take things slowly. Attraction usually takes several weeks for me to notice because it sets in very slowly.

Don’t be silly. You are a man. Just pull her and go onto the next. You’ll be bored of her in a month anyway.
Reply 7
I've spent enough time with her recently that people think we're dating. But we're not. And she is certainly on the quiet side, which doesn't help as i'm also on the quiet side. However, once we start talking (and we both have time), the conversations flows fairly naturally.

It will probably get less awkward with time then :smile: Don't think about it too hard, just do whatever feels right. If you want to ask her out, ask her out. If not, don't worry too much. Honestly it's pretty hard to judge whether two people are "right for each other" based on talking to them over the internet, but it doesn't sound like there would be huge problems between you two; "opposites attract" isn't always true, and two quiet people can get along well.
Reply 8
Original post by RikaX97
It will probably get less awkward with time then :smile: Don't think about it too hard, just do whatever feels right. If you want to ask her out, ask her out. If not, don't worry too much. Honestly it's pretty hard to judge whether two people are "right for each other" based on talking to them over the internet, but it doesn't sound like there would be huge problems between you two; "opposites attract" isn't always true, and two quiet people can get along well.

You say there won't be huge problems. But what could become an issue ?
Reply 9
You say there won't be huge problems. But what could become an issue ?

It's less that I feel there would be a problem, and more that I can't just predict things. I wouldn't want to ever say that I reckon there will be no problems, and it largely comes down to who the both of you are, the situation, and things outside of anyone's control. The point I wanted to make is that, based on what I've heard, it sounds like it might go pretty smoothly. Each situation has its own problems, i.e. since you're both quiet people, maybe saying that you like her could be awkward, but overall, just try your best, be a nice person, and see what happens.
Reply 10
Original post by RikaX97
It's less that I feel there would be a problem, and more that I can't just predict things. I wouldn't want to ever say that I reckon there will be no problems, and it largely comes down to who the both of you are, the situation, and things outside of anyone's control. The point I wanted to make is that, based on what I've heard, it sounds like it might go pretty smoothly. Each situation has its own problems, i.e. since you're both quiet people, maybe saying that you like her could be awkward, but overall, just try your best, be a nice person, and see what happens.

Seeing as this is my second time (the first ended up with possibly the nicest rejection one could ask for, even though it came under incredibly messy circumstances), what should I be really aware of with this kind of thing? Handling rejection has never been an issue for me in recent times, as I have gotten fairly used to it, and not just in a dating context.
"She has occasional random outbursts of frustration (gets very easily overwhelmed). She has relatively low emotional maturity compared to most of my peers (but not significantly less) and the one she was very clear about is that she does not like physical touch. AT ALL."

I prefer women that have predictable emotional outbursts, a reasonable level of emotional maturity and like touching and being touched by their romantic partners.

What are your thoughts on this Aayush?

It's sometimes tempting to go for the first person that will have you, even though in the medium to long term you'd be better off holding out for someone more aligned to your tastes.

Being attracted to intelligent people is great, but I don't think intelligence is enough. Other qualities are required.

And one thing about intelligence is you can often get the impression that someone is intelligent, but then they take some form of intelligence test and don't do well in it. Meaning that they were pretentious without having the actual intelligence to back it up.
You can also meet people that you'd think are thick as a brick, but as you get to know them, or if they take an intelligence test, turn out to be highly intelligent.

And you get some people that are intelligent and lack common sense or people skills. And some people that are intelligent with good people skills and a large amount of common sense.
Reply 12
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
"She has occasional random outbursts of frustration (gets very easily overwhelmed). She has relatively low emotional maturity compared to most of my peers (but not significantly less) and the one she was very clear about is that she does not like physical touch. AT ALL."

I prefer women that have predictable emotional outbursts, a reasonable level of emotional maturity and like touching and being touched by their romantic partners.

What are your thoughts on this Aayush?

It's sometimes tempting to go for the first person that will have you, even though in the medium to long term you'd be better off holding out for someone more aligned to your tastes.

Being attracted to intelligent people is great, but I don't think intelligence is enough. Other qualities are required.

And one thing about intelligence is you can often get the impression that someone is intelligent, but then they take some form of intelligence test and don't do well in it. Meaning that they were pretentious without having the actual intelligence to back it up.
You can also meet people that you'd think are thick as a brick, but as you get to know them, or if they take an intelligence test, turn out to be highly intelligent.

And you get some people that are intelligent and lack common sense or people skills. And some people that are intelligent with good people skills and a large amount of common sense.

I prefer women that have predictable emotional outbursts, a reasonable level of emotional maturity and like touching and being touched by their romantic partners.What are your thoughts on this Aayush?
I entirely agree with you. I would prefer what you just described as well. But having all of that is difficult. The thing for me is that there aren't many people I can sustain conversations with. And those people that I can sustain with tend to be either of similar or significantly higher intelligence level than I possess.

Regarding the intelligence thing, she is definitely far beyond the typical intelligent person. When you talk to her, you can tell just how high her intelligence level is fairly quickly. But you are right that people skills are not her strong point, probably at least in part since she has come to the UK in the last 6 months and her English is far from fluent (but still fairly good). Nor (to a certain extent) is her common sense level.

I would say that intelligence tests aren't particularly accurate as they can't control for all circumstances. But generally, people with high intelligence level (from my experience at least) tend to be capable of sustaining intellectual discussion about a challenging topic for a lengthy period of time. Especially if they're interested in it. Speaking from my own experience. And this girl most certainly is capable of doing that.
Aayush, from what you've said it would appear that this young woman would be a great person to have as a friend, but that she is not the right person for you to get romantically involved with.

We can all have different definitions of what intelligence is. An unsupervised, untimed intelligence test means almost nothing in terms of how intelligent someone is. An official, timed and supervised test is - according to my definitions - a great test of intelligence and possibly the only real indication of how intelligent someone is.

This in the same way that a measure of someone's stamina is how quickly they can finish a marathon or a Tour de France mountain stage or a tri-athlon.

Being able to maintain an intellectual conversation might just be an indication of how pretentious someone is. Or how good they are at repeating sound bytes that they may not understand, or how well educated or experienced or interested they are on a particular subject. You may also have a highly intelligent person that is shy or that in a given situation prefers to keep their thoughts to themselves. Or a highly intelligent person that hasn't been educated in a particular subject or range of subjects.

It's possible that you are a lot more intelligent than you think Aayush. Have you ever taken a test?

One big tip about the having conversation thing is: don't worry too much about having conversations. You can focus on doing things together instead.
Like playing pool down the pub, or a couple of sets of tennis, or a round of golf, or going to a tourist attraction, or swimming in the sea, or going for a picnic, or coming home from uni or work and eating together and then making love. For sure it's great to have a chat over a pint or whilst sitting round the supper table, but it doesn't have to be about anything intellectual. It could be about sex, or relationships or about some funny anecdotes that happened in the past.
Reply 14
It's possible that you are a lot more intelligent than you think Aayush. Have you ever taken a test?

Well, I got tested at school, and came out with the highest possible score for maths and working memory and somewhere around the 65th percentile for verbal. This was part of a test my school had to do to send evidence to JCQ for my eligibility for additional time in JCQ exams. So it wasn't an intelligence test as such. I do have relatively intelligent peers so it is possible that I just underrate myself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending