The Student Room Group

Minimum loan but can't get any financial support

I have offers from Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Lancaster to start in September.
Because of what my parents earn I'll only get minimum loan, however my dad earns the vast majority and we don't have a good relationship, so I'll get nothing from my parents.
I'm planning on getting a job, but my main concern is the loan is £2k off covering my rent and I don't know how I'm going to manage.
Is there anything that can be done about this?
Original post by holli_
I have offers from Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Lancaster to start in September.
Because of what my parents earn I'll only get minimum loan, however my dad earns the vast majority and we don't have a good relationship, so I'll get nothing from my parents.
I'm planning on getting a job, but my main concern is the loan is £2k off covering my rent and I don't know how I'm going to manage.
Is there anything that can be done about this?

The university may offer bursaries or hardship loans but only if your parents earn below a certain threshold.

You'll likely have to get a job over summer and save up what you earn, and also like you said work whilst studying to maximise the money you can get to help pay for accommodation. Unfortunately that's all you can do really. Learn how to budget now, shop at places like Lidl or Aldi, buy own brand foods and meal plan / prep so you only buy food that you'll actually eat. You'll likely have to sacrifice a social life to save money (instead of going out, invite friends over). You will be able to do it, but you'll have to plan well and make a few sacrifices.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
The university may offer bursaries or hardship loans but only if your parents earn below a certain threshold.

You'll likely have to get a job over summer and save up what you earn, and also like you said work whilst studying to maximise the money you can get to help pay for accommodation. Unfortunately that's all you can do really. Learn how to budget now, shop at places like Lidl or Aldi, buy own brand foods and meal plan / prep so you only buy food that you'll actually eat. You'll likely have to sacrifice a social life to save money (instead of going out, invite friends over). You will be able to do it, but you'll have to plan well and make a few sacrifices.

Thanks for the advice.
Do you think it could be worth looking at private halls/ student house to save on rent? I'll be nearly 21 when my course starts and I'm used to living pretty independently - I live at home but support myself in most ways i.e. cooking, cleaning, paying bills etc so not living in uni halls isn't a big deal for me.
Original post by holli_
Thanks for the advice.
Do you think it could be worth looking at private halls/ student house to save on rent? I'll be nearly 21 when my course starts and I'm used to living pretty independently - I live at home but support myself in most ways i.e. cooking, cleaning, paying bills etc so not living in uni halls isn't a big deal for me.

It would be cheaper. You could rent a room in a student house. I'm paying £90 a week in a student house compared to £109 in halls. You'd want to start looking now though as the good ones go quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending