The Student Room Group

I rejected all my uni offers AMA

heres an article I wrote about my uni application process last year, and why I rejected all five offers I got.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/i-got-five-uni-offers-but-im-going-to-reject-them-all

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nintysixthousand
heres an article I wrote about my uni application process last year, and why I rejected all five offers I got.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/i-got-five-uni-offers-but-im-going-to-reject-them-all

Interesting read :smile: I'm glad it all went well in the end :dance:
Reply 2

First, I rejected all my offers. Then I applied to another random uni.

Totally makes sense, 10/10...
what universities were they? and where are you now
I applied to Reading, Brunel, Middlesex, LSB and Richmond and im now at Surrey!
Original post by gr8wizard10
Reply 5

So you went to Surrey via Clearing?

You probably could have gone via Adjustment instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the difference between art and non art?
Reply 7
Original post by Obolinda
What's the difference between art and non art?

What do you mean?
Original post by Doonesbury
What do you mean?

What makes something art, art?
Reply 9

Okay... but what does that have to do with this thread or forum?

Edit: ah... AMA... :getmecoat:
Original post by gr8wizard10

Your article says you applied to Surrey as one of your conditional/unconditional. If you ended up picking Surrey, how did you end up rejecting “all of your offers?”. Also, why did you bother going to uni, an apprenticeship would have been much more beneficial than the universities you got into.
Very respectable in my opinion, always go with your gut instinct.:biggrin: That is a very bold move though, I personally would of bottled it and just chose one of the safe unis.

Your article says you applied to Surrey anyway ...
Reply 13
Seems weird that you would make a thread like this when you ended up at Surrey lol...
(edited 5 years ago)
Since this is TSR, I thought that the reason why a TSR member would reject all of his/her uni offers is because none of them are from Oxbridge

As other posters have said, if you applied to Surrey originally, how did you reject all your offers?

Also, how did you apply to an additional 'random' university? Was it through Extra/Adjustment/Clearing?
Reply 16
lool why did you apply to **** unis if you had good grades?
Reply 17
Assuming the article you wrote was incorrect and you did not apply to Surrey initially I have to ask you why you did not. Also with those grades why did you apply to universities that are pretty much "bottom of the barrel" and would have been in clearing anyway. You could have done a lot better!
I respect your decision to reject them all when you weren't sure what you wanted to do. I didn't have the guts too. I went to a university I wasn't sure about, to study a course that I decided on sort of last minute and had little interest in, and wound up dropping out after a year. It was a relatively low-ranked university and I was never happy with it as I knew I was capable of better, but I had underachieved in my A-levels in subjects that I didn't particularly like.

It took me a few years... I spent time working (a lot), saving money, self-studying, and lived abroad for a while whilst self-studying a foreign language.... but at 24 I returned to the UK, resat some exams, on top of an additional foreign language A-level, and went through the application process again. With the experiences that i'd had in the previous few years, and my new grades, I was accepted to a Russell Group university... which would have been out of question a few years back. Most importantly, i'm studying something that I enjoy, with a clear goal in mind for the future. That keeps me motivated.

I achieved a 1st in my first year, and i'm achieving similar grades this year. I have a year abroad next year in the country where I was studying before I came to university, which i'm really looking forward to. My ultimate goal is to end up back there after graduation.

I worked everything out eventually. But my initial decision to go to a university that I didn't want to go to ultimately cost me a lot of time and money. I would always recommend that somebody take time out from education if they're not 100% sure what they want to do. At 18/19, whilst everybody you know is going to university, you can feel a lot of pressure... I remember it! Once you hit 20, it can really feel like time is against you. It isn't really. Take your time, work things out, do things you enjoy. You'll feel a lot happier for doing so, and perhaps even work out what you're truly passionate about if you haven't done that already.
(edited 5 years ago)

Art is the use of a medium to express an idea that someone has. Music and illustrations for example, are forms of art.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending