The Student Room Group

Why does my teacher stare ever since he found out i am ill?

Why does my teacher stare ever since he found out i am ill and its affecting my work and class performance? Why does he indirectly mention it in front of the class? Why does he try and make us feel good about ourselves (when hes normally so harsh and makes us feel stupid) ever since he found out from my tutor that i don't want to continue his subject and leave altogether?
Original post by Anonymous
Why does my teacher stare ever since he found out i am ill and its affecting my work and class performance? Why does he indirectly mention it in front of the class? Why does he try and make us feel good about ourselves (when hes normally so harsh and makes us feel stupid) ever since he found out from my tutor that i don't want to continue his subject and leave altogether?

I suppose, the heartless way of looking at it is that he needs to keep his students because more students equals more money for him at the end of the year - his subject needs to be popular in order to run at GCSE level.

Alternatively, you could always see it as sympathy, that he thinks about you and is on your side? He maybe doesn't want you to give up which is why perhaps he is so interested in your studies. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by yzanne
I suppose, the heartless way of looking at it is that he needs to keep his students because more students equals more money for him at the end of the year - his subject needs to be popular in order to run at GCSE level.

Alternatively, you could always see it as sympathy, that he thinks about you and is on your side? He maybe doesn't want you to give up which is why perhaps he is so interested in your studies. :smile:

Its A level and yeah i do see him staring which is why i don't look at him and he made a sad facial expression when speaking to me implying that he knows.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

He probably has sympathy for you and is trying a new approach.
Honestly... use it to your advantage. He seems like he wants to sympathise.
Reply 5
How awkward is it if you were the girl he was staring at?
Original post by yzanne

Where do you teach? I've never heard of a single teacher getting or school offering more money for student retention. Teachers don't get yearly bonuses and pay progression is largely automatic. So I highly highly doubt he's worried about this student affecting his pay!

OP - he probably is just trying to be sympathetic. If he's received feedback that a student wants to quit or that he was coming across harsh and making his class feel stupid, he's likely just responding to that feedback and changing his teaching style to try be a better teacher. Chances are he didn't realise. Nobody goes into teaching for the money or the work-life balance etc. So generally, most teachers do actually want to be good at their jobs.

If it's making you uncomfortable, try speak to him? If you're not comfortable speaking to him about it, then try your tutor or someone else on the staff you can trust. He might not even realise he's staring - He might just be looking at you more often to check you're okay and not realise it's coming across a little weird!

Good luck with everything x
Original post by sophia5892
Where do you teach? I've never heard of a single teacher getting or school offering more money for student retention. Teachers don't get yearly bonuses and pay progression is largely automatic. So I highly highly doubt he's worried about this student affecting his pay!

OP - he probably is just trying to be sympathetic. If he's received feedback that a student wants to quit or that he was coming across harsh and making his class feel stupid, he's likely just responding to that feedback and changing his teaching style to try be a better teacher. Chances are he didn't realise. Nobody goes into teaching for the money or the work-life balance etc. So generally, most teachers do actually want to be good at their jobs.

If it's making you uncomfortable, try speak to him? If you're not comfortable speaking to him about it, then try your tutor or someone else on the staff you can trust. He might not even realise he's staring - He might just be looking at you more often to check you're okay and not realise it's coming across a little weird!

Good luck with everything x

I'm not a teacher - but it's a fact and our teachers have told us in the past as well. Food tech is a prime example - if they get no students, they get no money for running the GCSE course. Shame it's not the same for your school :frown:
Original post by yzanne
I'm not a teacher - but it's a fact and our teachers have told us in the past as well. Food tech is a prime example - if they get no students, they get no money for running the GCSE course. Shame it's not the same for your school :frown:

I'm not in school. Daughter of a teacher, trained as a teacher, know lots of teachers, keep up with things in education :tongue: Are you at an independent school? Sure they weren't joking or lying?

Teachers are paid to a national pay scale generally - they're salaried. It doesn't allow for bonuses for GCSE courses. And a school can't dock their pay if there's no students for a GCSE course... their salaried hours would have to be made up elsewhere. If there's consistently no students for GCSE and they don't need them to do so many hours then they could ask them to take a part time job... but they couldn't be forced to take it if they have a full-time contract.

Anyway.... somewhat derailing OPs post! Sorry OP!
ooh, somebody has a crush!!!
Original post by Awais Ahsan
ooh, somebody has a crush!!!

How does that mean he has a crush on me? He didnt stare that much before when i was well and i am not even good looking
He's probably worried about you. He knows you're ill so he's keeping an eye on you to make sure nothing happens to you or something, but don't think too much about it. There's nothing to worry about. You can talk to someone about it if you're worried, like the headteacher or your parents.
What else do you think he Would do if he found out i was self harming?
He's probably just worried about you and doesn't know how to handle the situation. I'm guessing he wants to help, but like many people he just has no clue how to deal with issues he's not dealt with before. Maybe ask to talk to him about it with another teacher, so he can learn how to actually help you.
Original post by EmCharles
He's probably just worried about you and doesn't know how to handle the situation. I'm guessing he wants to help, but like many people he just has no clue how to deal with issues he's not dealt with before. Maybe ask to talk to him about it with another teacher, so he can learn how to actually help you.

He did try to help me with the work once but i said "i dont know i used the textbook" and its actually hard to help someone who is having issues with subject knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending