The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Its probably very rare seeing as homosexuality is kinda against the rulings of Islam
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Its probably very rare seeing as homosexuality is kinda against the rulings of Islam

How do you mean? What you said is besides the point! The point was not what "the rulings of Islam "says, the point was that lesbian and gay muslims do exist and it is not a choice that they have deliberately made! So, given that fact,- what support is given to them to manage the prejudices and challenges directed at them by people such as yourself who say what the "rulings" are? We are still dealing with human beings, right?
And you are not correct about "very rare" support. There is significant support that is increasing on a yearly basis. I think , with time, being gay will become more accepted and understood among muslim communities around the world.
What is the true underlying spirit of Islam, really?
What does the word 'Quran ' actually mean? do you know?
And what word is the word" Islam" derived from? With respect, a lot of tsr muslims appear to not know!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.theproudtrust.org/for-young-people/faith-and-culture/groups-and-support/&ved=2ahUKEwib_r3Ett7rAhXUOcAKHaZ1BQ8QFjACegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3S2iTXTjkAac2tX3qxCBON
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hidayahlgbt.com/&ved=2ahUKEwib_r3Ett7rAhXUOcAKHaZ1BQ8QFjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw142Q3vW9LoPN0gzrgUVJPZ
https://imaanlondon.wordpress.com
there are specific organisations set up to provide support and also raise awareness of how sexuality is approached within Islam. One such org is Hidayah: https://www.hidayahlgbt.com/
I am not a muslim myself but I have worked extensively with muslim communities in the UK
Reply 4
That's culturally insensitive.
Original post by Joe312
That's culturally insensitive.

Not sure if you're referring to the OP or a response, but I'm struggling to see anything culturally insensitive so far. Since sexuality is an inherent part of who we are and not a conscious lifestyle choice, LGBT people can be found in all religions and cultures. It's probably more culturally insensitive to presume that you can't be both Muslim and gay.
Original post by mgi
How can we support muslims in accepting their sexuality what ever that is?

By telling them that they should prioritise their natural, harmless instincts over a man-made political ideology that they feel the need to adhere to only because they were brought up to believe in this nonsense.
Original post by onceuponatime1
By telling them that they should prioritise their natural, harmless instincts over a man-made political ideology that they feel the need to adhere to only because they were brought up to believe in this nonsense.

Perhaps, but what if someone who is LGBTQ+ wants to also continue to practice islam? The two are not mutually exclusive.
Original post by wonderwheels
Perhaps, but what if someone who is LGBTQ+ wants to also continue to practice islam? The two are not mutually exclusive.

Homosexuality is punishable by death in Islam. In fact, this religion is so ridiculous that the punishment for apostasy (so leaving the religion) is death. Yes, that is right. This religion actually puts the death penalty on you for leaving them. Imagine those that were brought up to believe in this ideology, and they one day realise that it is a load of garbage. What does Shariah law dictate? We should put them to death. I am not inciting hate; I am simply stating the truth. Look up the punishment for homosexuality and apostasy in Islam.

Also, I am not having a go at you. I am just annoyed at how this religion has brainwashed the minds of billions. Of course, other religions have their faults too, but we need to tackle the issues with each religion one by one, and in this instance, or thread, Islam is the one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Not sure if you're referring to the OP or a response, but I'm struggling to see anything culturally insensitive so far. Since sexuality is an inherent part of who we are and not a conscious lifestyle choice, LGBT people can be found in all religions and cultures. It's probably more culturally insensitive to presume that you can't be both Muslim and gay.

It's your cultural view that sexuality is not a conscious lifestyle choice and ur being culturally insensitive to others who have a different cultural view by trying to imperially force ur western views on them. Colonialist.
Original post by onceuponatime1
Homosexuality is punishable by death in Islam. In fact, this religion is so ridiculous that the punishment for apostasy (so leaving the religion) is death. Yes, that is right. This religion actually puts the death penalty on you for leaving them. Imagine those that were brought up to believe in this ideology, and they one day realise that it is a load of garbage. What does Shariah law dictate? We should put them to death. I am not inciting hate; I am simply stating the truth. Look up the punishment for homosexuality and apostasy in Islam.

Also, I am not having a go at you. I am just annoyed at how this religion has brainwashed the minds of billions. Of course, other religions have their faults too, but we need to tackle the issues with each religion one by one, and in this instance, or thread, Islam is the one.

Hi, thanks for your reply. For clarity perhaps I should explain my background so you can see where my perspective comes from. I've spent most of my career working with refugees and for some time specifically those who claim refugee status on grounds of sexuality and the illegality of homosexuality/transgender identity in their home countries.

It is certainly possible to follow Islam and not agree that Shariah law is correct. Yes of course there are people who choose to leave islam when they no longer believe in it, but being LGBTQ does not necessarily result in a loss of faith or a desire to leave Islam. The question by the OP was not whether Islam accepts LGBTQ+ people, rather how those that identify as both gay/and muslim can be supported. They can be (and are) supported by multiple organisations within islam who interpret the situation more liberally.
Original post by Joe312
It's your cultural view that sexuality is not a conscious lifestyle choice and ur being culturally insensitive to others who have a different cultural view by trying to imperially force ur western views on them. Colonialist.

It's not my cultural view. it's my personal one. There are plenty of people from "my culture" who would disagree with me. Your choice to disagree with me is a personal one also. I haven't forced anyone to accept my view here. I was just stating that it was unclear from your post who you thought was being culturally insensitive, and that nothing which had been posted prior to that point was blatantly culturally insensitive. Cultural appropriateness is a subjective measurement and there will be many opposing views. Up to now no else has posted an actual view pint which challenges mine.
Reply 12
It's not my cultural view. it's my personal one. There are plenty of people from "my culture" who would disagree with me. Your choice to disagree with me is a personal one also. I haven't forced anyone to accept my view here. I was just stating that it was unclear from your post who you thought was being culturally insensitive, and that nothing which had been posted prior to that point was blatantly culturally insensitive. Cultural appropriateness is a subjective measurement and there will be many opposing views. Up to now no else has posted an actual view pint which challenges mine.

It's not just your personal view, it's a common view, and as such it is part of a culture. More specifically it is part of the way progressives in the west view sexuality. That is a culture. You are presenting that cultural view as if it were a fact, when you say that expression of sexual orientation is not based on a choice but is an inherent part of who we are. You stated that as if it were true for everyone, which is culturally insensitive.
Original post by Joe312
It's not just your personal view, it's a common view, and as such it is part of a culture. More specifically it is part of the way progressives in the west view sexuality. That is a culture. You are presenting that cultural view as if it were a fact, when you say that expression of sexual orientation is not based on a choice but is an inherent part of who we are. You stated that as if it were true for everyone, which is culturally insensitive.

I disagree. That sexuality is inherent is a fact. whether you choose to express or act upon your sexuality is a choice, but everyone has a sexuality whether they believe it is wrong or right to live that way.
Reply 14
Original post by Joe312

Well, you are simply not correct that this is "culturally insensitive ". You, like a number of people, on these type of threads always, without fail, dodge the issue of why you actually believe that being attracted to the opposite sex is "inherent" but that being gay is not "inherent"! You insist that being gay is a choice but being heterosexual is not! You give absolutely no scientific evidence for your apparent bias! Then, yiu say it is "culturally insensitive " for people like me to disagree with your unproven points or the rationale of your argument.
Reply 15
Original post by Joe312

Did you mean this post to be serious? I am not sure.
Reply 16
I disagree. That sexuality is inherent is a fact. whether you choose to express or act upon your sexuality is a choice, but everyone has a sexuality whether they believe it is wrong or right to live that way.

So you admit that it's not just your personal view and that you think it's a fact. Regardless of whether it's a fact or not, it's culturally insensitive of you to present it as if other cultures who believe different are wrong and that they should accept your view because they are wrong.
Reply 17
Original post by mgi
Well, you are simply not correct that this is "culturally insensitive ". You, like a number of people, on these type of threads always, without fail, dodge the issue of why you actually believe that being attracted to the opposite sex is "inherent" but that being gay is not "inherent"! You insist that being gay is a choice but being heterosexual is not! You give absolutely no scientific evidence for your apparent bias! Then, yiu say it is "culturally insensitive " for people like me to disagree with your unproven points or the rationale of your argument.

No I don't think it's a choice, I too am part of the western culture which believes it is inherent, but I prefer not to be culturally insensitive to different cultures who believe different.
Original post by mgi
How can we support muslims in accepting their sexuality what ever that is?

Hi mgi.
Clearly this thread is going to derail, but please feel free to DM me if I can help with any more resources or if you're trying to suppose someone in particular
Original post by Joe312

This is gold, I laughed a lot 🤣😂

Latest

Trending

Trending