The Student Room Group

Missed final year retake - Am i i finished?

Going to summarise this quickly, my first and second year went okay at uni, and i did well in placement. Final year has been turbulent to say he least, originally my first finally year was in 2016, i had a debilitating (still unknown) Knee problem which had me unable to walk for over a month. This still affects me to this day but i can walk which is okay.

I returned to uni under parents pressure while this was still going on and to say he least this did not go well.I had always had mental health issues but with all the factors and the stress of exams coming together i fully implode and broke down. i took a leave of absence in 2017 after failing my first batch of exams knowing my head wasnt in it. Had some counselling. I returned in 2018 and thankfully got a full year resit.

However this was form home as I couldn't find accommodation in time which was fine as I had already completed my dissertation previously and did well in it. So as far as i was concerned I just needed to learn lecutres for exams. i completed the required courseworks and attended compulsory by staying at a friend splace for a month and paying my share of rent lecutres although i did botch one late 2018 exam and underperformed on a peice of coursework. Now i thought I was done and focused all my effort towards my remaining 5 modules in summer.

After working harder than i ever have and being hopeful for once that i might walk out of this with a 2.1. diusaster strikes. This morning i get my timetables and theres only 4 exams. Thinking there was a mistake i look at my modules and it says there was a exam in january i did not attend. its true and im left here in tears because of this being the module which i screed up in oct I cant even ass it. Now with 4 exams left I went from being able to get a 2.1 if i did extreemly well (which i was prepared to do) to not even passing. I dont know what to do.

I contacted my university for advice but i think im already finished. I dont know if i can even still get a degree and im considering hanging ending mys *****y ife. Its been 6 years of this just to fail at the end I cant take it. help please
Reply 1
I might try calling one of my lecutrers but I cant stop crying because i know theres no point. Theres no real excuse for this other than being at home away from uni and making a boneheaded mistake. I cant resit because its my 3rd attempt at final year and even if i did it would be capped at 40 which isnt enough to pass the module. I cant get cant degrees flailing a module.
Original post by redwater11
I might try calling one of my lecutrers but I cant stop crying because i know theres no point. Theres no real excuse for this other than being at home away from uni and making a boneheaded mistake. I cant resit because its my 3rd attempt at final year and even if i did it would be capped at 40 which isnt enough to pass the module. I cant get cant degrees flailing a module.

Try to calm down first. Then contact the lecturer that was in charge of the module exam you missed, and discuss what can be done. They may not let you retake it, but could you still pass the module overall (averaging 40%)?

It seems a bit strange that you didn't hear anything after missing the January exam, I would have thought the lecturer would have at least emailed you to see what happened.
Reply 3
Exactly, i didnt get a call or an email asking whats going on or ANYTHING. i called my personal tutor and he was supportive. he says theres a chance of getting a resit in august but its up to the exam board and i will likely need a good reason. he said he will talk to the lecturer and biology staff to see what can be done.
My head is in pieces right now because I dont know if i can even revise, knowing that the difference between getting a good degree or nothing all is in the balance
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Try to calm down first. Then contact the lecturer that was in charge of the module exam you missed, and discuss what can be done. They may not let you retake it, but could you still pass the module overall (averaging 40%)?

It seems a bit strange that you didn't hear anything after missing the January exam, I would have thought the lecturer would have at least emailed you to see what happened.
Exactly, i didnt get a call or an email asking whats going on or ANYTHING. i called my personal tutor and he was supportive. he says theres a chance of getting a resit in august but its up to the exam board and i will likely need a good reason. he said he will talk to the lecturer and biology staff to see what can be done.
My head is in pieces right now because I dont know if i can even revise, knowing that the difference between getting a good degree or nothing all is in the balance

Was the exam you missed the only assessment for that module? Do you know if you need to pass every element of every module in order to pass?

If you can't retake and you needed that exam pass to get your degree, it's unlikely that you would leave with nothing -- you may be awarded a diploma rather than a degree for example.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Was the exam you missed the only assessment for that module? Do you know if you need to pass every element of every module in order to pass?

If you can't retake and you needed that exam pass to get your degree, it's unlikely that you would leave with nothing -- you may be awarded a diploma rather than a degree for example.

No the exam i missed was worth 60%, but the module i messed up the 30%. I think i need to get at least 40% in each module to even pass, i asked my tutor to make sure as even he doesnt know. If i cant retake im likely ending my life. 6 years and all this struggle for nothing. i would be in such a **** situation there would be no point. Anxiety and depression, constant pain and mobility issues and a peice of paper telling employers i wasted 6 years of my life along with 27 grand debt. what a joke. id rather die honestly. i dont even mind the the thought anymore
No the exam i missed was worth 60%, but the module i messed up the 30%. I think i need to get at least 40% in each module to even pass, i asked my tutor to make sure as even he doesnt know. If i cant retake im likely ending my life. 6 years and all this struggle for nothing. i would be in such a **** situation there would be no point. Anxiety and depression, constant pain and mobility issues and a peice of paper telling employers i wasted 6 years of my life along with 27 grand debt. what a joke. id rather die honestly. i dont even mind the the thought anymore

As I said, you wouldn't just leave with nothing, you would at least be given a diploma in Higher Education or something similar.

I think it's very important that you talk to someone about how you're feeling. If you can't access counselling at your university, go to your GP. It's important that you deal with your mental health just like you would a physical ailment. I'm not undervaluing your feelings when I say this, but you need help to put things into perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending