The Student Room Group

Should I do IB or A-Level?

I am coming up to my GCSE exams and want to know whether I should go into IB or A-Level. If i was to do the IB I would pick HL Philosophy, Chemistry and Physics and SL Eng Lit, French and Maths. If I went into A-Level I would do Physics, Chemistry and Maths or Physics, Chemistry, Biology and core/AS Maths. My current grades are Physics: 9, Chemistry: 8, Biology: 8, Maths: 7. I would ideally like to do an Automotive/Motorsport Engineering degree or a Chemistry/Biochemistry degree as my second choice.

Would I be better off doing A-Level or IB? I really don't want to do a language or English post 16 but if IB will give me an edge over A-Level candidates (for uni) I'm willing to do it. Also CAS, ToK, and Extended Essay I have no problems with. I also and good at managing time and stuff so the extra coursework doesn't bother me too much (but again I'd rather not). I like the idea of being able to focus my mind on the 3 subjects I want to take to Uni but don't know if i'll burn out etc. Also I don't know the quality of the courses and how much different they are seen by Universities. It'd be great to get some advice from both sides, thank you!
Why so many subjects for that IB what kind of qualification is it
Original post by hjw02
I am coming up to my GCSE exams and want to know whether I should go into IB or A-Level. If i was to do the IB I would pick HL Philosophy, Chemistry and Physics and SL Eng Lit, French and Maths. If I went into A-Level I would do Physics, Chemistry and Maths or Physics, Chemistry, Biology and core/AS Maths. My current grades are Physics: 9, Chemistry: 8, Biology: 8, Maths: 7. I would ideally like to do an Automotive/Motorsport Engineering degree or a Chemistry/Biochemistry degree as my second choice.

Would I be better off doing A-Level or IB? I really don't want to do a language or English post 16 but if IB will give me an edge over A-Level candidates (for uni) I'm willing to do it. Also CAS, ToK, and Extended Essay I have no problems with. I also and good at managing time and stuff so the extra coursework doesn't bother me too much (but again I'd rather not). I like the idea of being able to focus my mind on the 3 subjects I want to take to Uni but don't know if i'll burn out etc. Also I don't know the quality of the courses and how much different they are seen by Universities. It'd be great to get some advice from both sides, thank you!

Maths and maybe even further maths would be great for any engineering degree. So, I'd recommend Maths, physics and chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by graceelle
Why so many subjects for that IB what kind of qualification is it

You take 6 subjects for IB as standard. 3 at standard level and 3 at higher level.

OP, it really doesn't matter. You won't be at an advantage either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending