The Student Room Group

Is my weight loss normal?

Most people I know don't believe how many pounds I've lost. They can see a difference in my body and tell me that I've lost a lot of weight but when I tell them I've lost 20 pounds in about 6 weeks they don't believe me. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down to 22 pounds lost now, I've gone from weighing 230 pounds to 208 pounds as of today, I started my weight loss plan at the end of Feb.

Is that healthy? Many people have told me that once I come off the diet I'll put it all back on but that won't happen like they think because I'm going to keep up my fitness and keep a healthy diet.

For fitness I box a lot, I do a lot of swimming 100 lengths I try and reach for per session, and I try to run at least 5 miles 5 days a week some days I even run twice, with a 2-3 mile run in the evening.

When I'm not doing hard workouts I'll be doing self exercise such as sit ups, push ups etc to tone myself so I don't become a skinny fat person.

I've had a read online and it states losing 22 pounds in 6 weeks is next to impossible and you'd need a medical assistant advising you at all times and keeping an eye on you.

Are people just better at losing weight then others are? Is my weight loss unhealthy?
How many calories do you approximately consume per day? :smile:
Your fitness sessions shouldn't be about losing weight, they should be about keeping fit. Keep them up even if you have reached your weight targets. The only excuse for not training is of course, injury, but I doubt you'd deliberately injure yourself :smile:
Original post by batter mix
How many calories do you approximately consume per day? :smile:

I'm honestly not sure but it isn't a lot, I have one big meal like a Sunday dinner or spag bowl and for the rest of the day I'll have slim shakes to replace eating which are 230 calories a time. I know my new diet will have a lot to do with it but 22 pounds seems a lot.
Original post by hello_shawn
Your fitness sessions shouldn't be about losing weight, they should be about keeping fit. Keep them up even if you have reached your weight targets. The only excuse for not training is of course, injury, but I doubt you'd deliberately injure yourself :smile:

They're not just about losing weight as I'm looking to become a professional boxer so my sessions are also about getting better stamina which will benefit me when I begin fighting. But yeah I'm going to keep them up after I reach my goal of 190 lbs I'm 6'2 so 190 is healthy for me. I've got a stress fracture at the moment but waiting for doctor's to book an MRI scan is another situation. Everyone calls me stupid for running on it but I can't help myself.
(edited 5 years ago)
As long as you eating more than 1200 cal per day, (or 1500 given your height) you should be doing fine.
Reply 6
It is not uncommon for the weight to drop off really quickly if you are quite a bit overweight to begin with, and more so if you have overalled your entire lifestyle ie going from a diet of eating too much and not moving much to a reduced calorie diet and exercise. The danger with this is it sounds like you might be doing too much exercise, you want to build upto it rather than go full steam ahead and 1 of the dangers with doing it in the way you are doing it is you are not going to give your skin enough time to retract or tighten so you may be left with loose skin. If this happens you will most likely need skin removal surgery, although this might be avoided if you slow down a little.

Quick Reply

Latest