The Student Room Group

pros and cons of joint honours?

can anyone offer any perspective into the pros and cons of joint honours? i think i want to study social anthropology for a 2020 university entry, however i am currently taking psychology as an a level and i really really love it. i don’t know if psychology and social anthropology are really related though, so will that matter much, because i will get some variety?

also, can someone please explain how it works? do i have more lectures than everyone else or do i have the same amount but half of each subject? because that’s one aspect i’m worried about- less teaching time per subject. i think i would prefer more time but obviously i can’t choose my timetable.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!❤️
Original post by r028461
can anyone offer any perspective into the pros and cons of joint honours? i think i want to study social anthropology for a 2020 university entry, however i am currently taking psychology as an a level and i really really love it. i don’t know if psychology and social anthropology are really related though, so will that matter much, because i will get some variety?

also, can someone please explain how it works? do i have more lectures than everyone else or do i have the same amount but half of each subject? because that’s one aspect i’m worried about- less teaching time per subject. i think i would prefer more time but obviously i can’t choose my timetable.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!❤️

Hello there, :hello:

I studied a joint honors degree of Marketing and Media & Communication. Firstly, I loved studying two subjects as it was great to change up the subjects during the week. I liked that I usually had one subject across one and half days and the other across another one and half days. It was especially beneficial when a topic would come up in one of the courses I wasn't too keen on eg. Finance, at least I had the rest of the week in a different topic all together.

I also found it useful when graduating as I had the option of two different career paths to go in to. Of course these two courses relate quite well together, although the argument for studying two subjects that wouldn't necessarily be put together, would again widen graduate opportunities. Another argument would be, if you are certain on a career or job then maybe studying a single honors degree that is the requirement for that career would be best.

In terms of the timetabling it would be best to check with the university you are looking to apply to, but a joint honors and combined degree tends to be a direct split (50% one subject 50% the other). For example I had 8 hours contact time in Marketing and 8 hours contact time in Media & Communication. There may be some institutions that allow you to study one subject in more depth and the degree classification may then be different.

I hope this helps, but of course the final decision comes down to personal preference.

Tom :shakehand:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending