The Student Room Group

Struggling with Fee Classifications, need expert help.

Intro:Just finished my masters and am looking to apply to PhD's in the UK. Am struggling with being classified as International each time. Note: I can't pursue a PhD without EU fees (No source of financing).

Background: I am of mixed nationality (Portuguese/Malaysian). I have family in both countries and have a Portuguese passport. During my undergrad in the UK I was classified as international because I haven't been ordinarily resident in my country in the 3 years prior to my courses start date. However, I have been residing there (Portugal) during winter break since I am closer (UK).

Issue: Although I have been visiting Portugal and staying there frequently over these last 3 years. My applications continue to classify me as International despite the changes. I've tried arguing with them. And their responses are that it is not my 'domicile' or that I don't have proof that I am maintaining a property there. How could I? its my family's? I am however registered under an address there and can obtain a letter from the bank stating my residency there?

My questions:
Would it be enough evidence?
Have any of you gone through similar situations and what have you done?
Is there someone who can help me through this? It's a really stressful situation.
Original post by achichat
Intro:Just finished my masters and am looking to apply to PhD's in the UK. Am struggling with being classified as International each time. Note: I can't pursue a PhD without EU fees (No source of financing).

Background: I am of mixed nationality (Portuguese/Malaysian). I have family in both countries and have a Portuguese passport. During my undergrad in the UK I was classified as international because I haven't been ordinarily resident in my country in the 3 years prior to my courses start date. However, I have been residing there (Portugal) during winter break since I am closer (UK).

Issue: Although I have been visiting Portugal and staying there frequently over these last 3 years. My applications continue to classify me as International despite the changes. I've tried arguing with them. And their responses are that it is not my 'domicile' or that I don't have proof that I am maintaining a property there. How could I? its my family's? I am however registered under an address there and can obtain a letter from the bank stating my residency there?

My questions:
Would it be enough evidence?
Have any of you gone through similar situations and what have you done?
Is there someone who can help me through this? It's a really stressful situation.

Hi there,

Would you be applying to us for finance?

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

Would you be applying to us for finance?

Regards,
Nihad

I don't think I will be applying for finance, since the projects I am applying to have studentships available.
Original post by achichat
I don't think I will be applying for finance, since the projects I am applying to have studentships available.

Hi there,

That's fine, thank you for confirming. We wish you the best of luck with this :smile:

Regards,
Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending