The Student Room Group

Hostile work environment - PLease help?

Has anyone ever had a similar experience or can help with advice please?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tjblonks
Has anyone ever had a similar experience or can help with advice please?

What happened in your experience? Work hostility can be really difficult, what line of work are you in? x
Reply 2
The manager is often disrespectful to me and to some clients as well. He almost always looks angry and kissing his teeth and i feel that i am publicly criticised and called names when i make some mistakes, even some mistakes which someone else made. When i voiced my concerns , i was told i was wrong and it is my fault.

One co-worker is making it difficult for me to work there. She is meant to be mentoring me and helping me progress but often says there is nothing for me to do,( when there could be), so i have to find my own work to do which can benefit the firm/job. When i am doing this , i am often criticised for doing nothing and being lazy.:dontknow:. She seems a bit cold and angry too.

I get on very well with some other people at work but they are rarely in work, eg going to court. it is the legal industry. I am only getting paid expenses and i want to leave the place but i don't have many other options. I am very unhappy there and every time i am there , i wish i was not.
@tjblonks

For free, impartial advice you can contact ACAS.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1410
The manager is often disrespectful to me and to some clients as well. He almost always looks angry and kissing his teeth and i feel that i am publicly criticised and called names when i make some mistakes, even some mistakes which someone else made. When i voiced my concerns , i was told i was wrong and it is my fault.

One co-worker is making it difficult for me to work there. She is meant to be mentoring me and helping me progress but often says there is nothing for me to do,( when there could be), so i have to find my own work to do which can benefit the firm/job. When i am doing this , i am often criticised for doing nothing and being lazy.:dontknow:. She seems a bit cold and angry too.

I get on very well with some other people at work but they are rarely in work, eg going to court. it is the legal industry. I am only getting paid expenses and i want to leave the place but i don't have many other options. I am very unhappy there and every time i am there , i wish i was not.

Aww definitely sounds like you should start looking for a new job :frown: is there anyone in HR you can talk to?
Reply 5
Thanks. I did think of this but i was not sure i was classed as an employee or a worker under employment law . This is because it is work experience.
Original post by thestudent33
@tjblonks

For free, impartial advice you can contact ACAS.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1410
Thanks. I did think of this but i was not sure i was classed as an employee or a worker under employment law . This is because it is work experience.

You can still try, it's free so you got nothing to lose :smile:
Reply 7
i do no think there is anything i can do because it is a small firm and he is the owner of the firm. I was thinking to just look for another job , leave and ask for a reference. I am angry but i dont want to burn any bridges.
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Aww definitely sounds like you should start looking for a new job :frown: is there anyone in HR you can talk to?
Reply 8
I was thinking of working for waitrose but recently came across a twitter feed that apparently exposes racism at Waitrose.

search for @adam_caliskan on twitter

It looks like after he exposed the company their employees started harassing him even calling him a white p**i, what do you guys think?
Reply 9
Yeah , you are probably right. I will look into it to see if i can find a solution that might help me.
Original post by thestudent33
You can still try, it's free so you got nothing to lose :smile:
Reply 10
That is nuts. Well , i think it is good that this was exposed. People shouldn't treat others like this. If it isn't reported and snuffed out it will continue. Those who do it should be held to account.
Original post by Jab987
I was thinking of working for waitrose but recently came across a twitter feed that apparently exposes racism at Waitrose.

search for @adam_caliskan on twitter

It looks like after he exposed the company their employees started harassing him even calling him a white p**i, what do you guys think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending