The Student Room Group

Should the voting age be raised to 19

Scroll to see replies

Why?
Original post by MinaBee
Why?

I don't think 18 year olds are smart enough. This is coming from myself who is 19.
Should be lowered to 16 in my opinion. They are affected as much as others, if not more. They will grow up with the consequences of the current government.
Feel sorry they don’t get a say.
Original post by gazza_of_cyzicus
It definitely should, it would mean less remainers.

Might as well ballot stuff at that point.
I don't think 18 year olds are smart enough. This is coming from myself who is 19.

Would one year really make a difference though?
Original post by em3fr
Should be lowered to 16 in my opinion. They are affected as much as others, if not more. They will grow up with the consequences of the current government.
Feel sorry they don’t get a say.

I disagree. I believe 16 year olds are too inexperienced, most of them don't know the real world, and have been wrapped around it cotton wool.
Leave it as it is

I don’t think 18 year olds aren’t smart.. little bit unfair don’t you think? One year won’t make a difference.

It’s about a matter of opinion and belief when voting, not intelligence.
Original post by MinaBee
Would one year really make a difference though?

yes, majority of the voters will agree with it, especially the remainers....
Yeah, but it would be funny denying 18 year olds a vote, especially since most of them are brainwashed remainers.
Original post by em3fr
I don’t think 18 year olds aren’t smart.. little bit unfair don’t you think? One year won’t make a difference.

It’s about a matter of opinion and belief when voting, not intelligence.
Yeah, but it would be funny denying 18 year olds a vote, especially since most of them are brainwashed remainers.

Now it makes sense why you want to take the vote from them :colonhash:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That’s your opinion. Calling them brainwashed because they want to remain is wrong and makes you immature.

Coming from someone who wants to leave, I wouldn’t judge someone’s intelligence on their opinion. Or call them brainwashed. Just too far. People are entitled for their own opinion.

But I know you are joking. Yes it would be funny but be careful what you say haha. Don’t want any brexit wars happing here, so serious to some.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CuriosityYay
Now it makes sense why you want to take the vote from them :colonhash:

I'm only joking, but it would be funny if it does happen
To be fair, Remainers have been bad mouthing leavers for ages, but don't get penalised for it. Plus, I'm only joking, don't take it too seriously.

Yeh, I get what you mean. And yes I just edited my post haha, I knew you were joking.
Cool, do you think the voting age should remain the same, or do you think it should be lowered to 16.
Original post by em3fr
Yeh, I get what you mean. And yes I just edited my post haha, I knew you were joking.
Cool, do you think the voting age should remain the same, or do you think it should be lowered to 16.

I think some 16 year olds do have good knowledge about the vote. My friends younger sister is 16 and she knows it all, keeps up to date with everything and has really good points about it.
A lot of 16 year olds are mature enough, there’s just those few that aren’t and spoil it.

I think the government should have separate votes for 16/17 year olds and then take their opinion into consideration too.

As of now, 18 is better than what it used to be 100 years ago haha.
If anything the voting age should be lowered to 16, to really allow a true democracy. First of all, this could be introduced for the more 'important' elections such as once in a lifetime referendums, like how they did in Scotland in 2014. Considering 18 year olds as immature is a rather general statement, and honestly, if you think about it, 18 year olds today are in fact more educated than ever. With the rise of social media too, it is now easier than ever to engage with politics! Secondly, 16 year olds will be the people who will have to deal with the consequences of events such as Brexit. Whilst it can be difficult for a 16 year old to truly grasp such difficult political topics, denying them the right to vote on their future and not giving them a choice is denying them of their voice. We need more young people to vote, and lowering the voting age is the perfect way to encourage political discussion!
No, there's literally no point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending