The Student Room Group

Colleague Discount Card Misuse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illusination
I’ve had a reference from My employer before for another job I applied to before ,but it was through HR. Do you know what they include in this reference? If all they do is give date of employment and attest to my employment then I can still use them as a reference?

I don't know if we're definitely talking about the same company and even if we are I have left them and their HR system has changed recently. But in general it's very flat neutral references with dates. Obviously if you are super curious you have data protection rights! However, I would just go with colleague as you seem to want to do and threeportdrift says. I write references now for a voluntary organisation and many employers are quite lax and it's surprised me what they'll accept/who. Not saying don't worry, as I've had reference issues in the past, just saying it'll be all right.

As for not being judgemental, I mean you wouldn't believe some of the more serious things that people do.
Reply 21
Original post by RogerOxon
You weren't in the wrong - (if I've correctly understood) you didn't know that the discount had been used without your permission. I'd fight this - IMO, it's wrongful dismissal and should be compensated. Good luck.

I would, but they made it clear that it was my responsibility to prevent the misuse. I’m not even sure why they called me to a hearing tbh. I wish they saved me the time and fired me beforehand.
Reply 22
Original post by marinade
I don't know if we're definitely talking about the same company and even if we are I have left them and their HR system has changed recently. But in general it's very flat neutral references with dates. Obviously if you are super curious you have data protection rights! However, I would just go with colleague as you seem to want to do and threeportdrift says. I write references now for a voluntary organisation and many employers are quite lax and it's surprised me what they'll accept/who. Not saying don't worry, as I've had reference issues in the past, just saying it'll be all right.

As for not being judgemental, I mean you wouldn't believe some of the more serious things that people do.

Yeah it’s definitely the same place as our HR has changed recently as well.
I’ve had a reference from My employer before for another job I applied to before ,but it was through HR. Do you know what they include in this reference? If all they do is give date of employment and attest to my employment then I can still use them as a reference?

Employers are more and more inclined to give what I'd call a technical reference. In these references, they make no value judgement about the employee, they simply confirm the basic details of the job so your name, the dates you were employed, the job title etc. If you have been subject to any disciplinary action or dismissed then they will almost certainly mention this. Any reference has an obligation to tell the truth about those factors that might be relevant to a future employer, and being dismissed is a fundamental truth of your employment.

A reference from a colleague is slightly different, the colleague might feel less obliged to discuss a situation they had no part in and know nothing about.
I would, but they made it clear that it was my responsibility to prevent the misuse. I’m not even sure why they called me to a hearing tbh. I wish they saved me the time and fired me beforehand.

How? It is reasonable to expect that property in your home is secure.

I'd take this further. It's not right. I'm sorry that idiot corporate policies have done this to you.
Reply 25
Original post by RogerOxon
How? It is reasonable to expect that property in your home is secure.

I'd take this further. It's not right. I'm sorry that idiot corporate policies have done this to you.

Thanks for your support. Do you have any advice on finding a new job and how to get through the job interview, how to tell them I was fired?
Thanks for your support. Do you have any advice on finding a new job and how to get through the job interview, how to tell them I was fired?

That's going to be difficult, which is why I think that it's important to fight it. Good luck.
Illusination, use other employee as a reference or target jobs where employers are less likely to be picky as threeportdrift says - Uni, uni bar or academic department.

Or do some volunteering over the summer and use them as a reference. It's amazing what some places will accept for references from voluntary organisations! I get asked to write references for students, graduates who are younger than me, it's nuts.
Sorry to jump on this thread but I let my sister used my discount card today and the girl at the till said to be careful so now I'm sick with worry. She used her own card to pay. How does the company pick up on this? Does it have to be reported by a staff member or store manager? How would they know who owns the card and who's paying... can't sleep with worry
Reply 29
Hey, I just got my contract terminated for the same thing, I was wondering how you were doing now and what happened afterwards was it easy to find another job?
Reply 30
Did anything ever come of this? In a similar situation myself and feeling sick with worry 🤢🤮
Original post by Lulabelle1886
Sorry to jump on this thread but I let my sister used my discount card today and the girl at the till said to be careful so now I'm sick with worry. She used her own card to pay. How does the company pick up on this? Does it have to be reported by a staff member or store manager? How would they know who owns the card and who's paying... can't sleep with worry
Reply 31
Original post by kelly34
Did anything ever come of this? In a similar situation myself and feeling sick with worry 🤢🤮

They only know by a system called 'Eagle Eye' If there are multiple nectar cards used with your discount card it will flag up to HR, and HR will tell your manager to have an investigation meeting with you.
Reply 32
Original post by tayreem
They only know by a system called 'Eagle Eye' If there are multiple nectar cards used with your discount card it will flag up to HR, and HR will tell your manager to have an investigation meeting with you.

Thanks for the reply, I’m the nominated card user & there have been no other nectar cards used with my discount card. It was simply that when shopping I’d forgotten my purse & mum came to my rescue as she lives right near the store & paid for me using her debit card, it was all linked to my own nectar card etc it was simply a case that she paid on her bank card so I was really worried.

Thanks for clarifying, I wouldn’t ever lend my card out so helpfully this won’t cause an issue, I triple check and make sure I’ve got my purse before leaving the house now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending