The Student Room Group

boyfriend wants a break

Yesterday I had a fight w my boyfriend, and then he broke up with me in the night. He says he wants a 3 - 5 month break and promises to get back with me after (he's going through 6 month therapy), but said if I fall for someone else go with them. He said he needed space so we could both grow but still loves me dearly.

I'm devistated and don't really know how to cope. I rely on my boyfriend for support and we're still in contact but it's not the same. Additionally it's our 6 month next week. I'm scared he's going to leave me and don't know what to do.
Reality: it's unlikely you're going to get back together in X many months. If you can't work through whatever this is together then a relationship isn't going to work. You can't just switch it on and off at will.
Sorry mate but if he wants a break he wants a break. You can't force the relationship onto him. Sorry :frown:
Hopefully it goes well if y'all get back together :redface:, however, as @sinfonietta said, it's unlikely you'll get back after a break lasting months.
Reply 3
Original post by sinfonietta
Reality: it's unlikely you're going to get back together in X many months. If you can't work through whatever this is together then a relationship isn't going to work. You can't just switch it on and off at will.

This was what I was thinking but he's convinced it will work out
Reply 4
Original post by Glaz
Sorry mate but if he wants a break he wants a break. You can't force the relationship onto him. Sorry :frown:
Hopefully it goes well if y'all get back together :redface:, however, as @sinfonietta said, it's unlikely you'll get back after a break lasting months.

Yeah I agree we need a break but I just think months is a bit too far
Original post by sinfonietta

This was my point but he says it's unconditional love but I've heard these things before and I've seen it ruin relationships,, sorry I'm not sure how to explain,, but I thought at most a month would be fine
Original post by Glaz

I agree that's why I said at most I'd do a month but I just don't think it'll work, I've done this before and it didn't work but he doesn't believe me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending