The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Retaking second year

I tried searching but couldn't find much info. Does anyone know if university of Nottingham allows retaking whole year?
All the info I found on the website are about resitting failed modules.
Original post by rosewater7786
I tried searching but couldn't find much info. Does anyone know if university of Nottingham allows retaking whole year?

I suspect (but do not know) its a discretionary thing, the Uni can either tell a student that has not received enough credits to resit in the summer, not be admitted onto the next stage or to resit the year.

Most Unis allow students to resit, Ive looked on Notts website for all the progression rules and there not very clear. I would go speak to either your tutor, course director, or one of the senior team in your faculty and ask the rules given your situation.

I suspect they will allow '1 resit year' as is standard at most UK unis.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Speak to registry or a student advisor.
Normally you will not be allowed to resit a year unless you have good reason, either they insist because you have failed exams more than once or you submit an extenuating circumstances claim and specifically ask for it.

You dont just resit because you had poor exams, but they might listen if you had serious medical issues and you had doctors support or there were serious personal issues. The department will then have discretion to accept or deny. If your exams have really messed you up, then another way to get out of it would be to cash out with a cert he and transfer to another uni for second year. Almost certainly a lesser uni. That might work. Dont know enough about your situation.
Original post by 999tigger
Speak to registry or a student advisor.
Normally you will not be allowed to resit a year unless you have good reason, either they insist because you have failed exams more than once or you submit an extenuating circumstances claim and specifically ask for it.

You dont just resit because you had poor exams, but they might listen if you had serious medical issues and you had doctors support or there were serious personal issues. The department will then have discretion to accept or deny. If your exams have really messed you up, then another way to get out of it would be to cash out with a cert he and transfer to another uni for second year. Almost certainly a lesser uni. That might work. Dont know enough about your situation.

Good point i assumed this student was in a fail situation, i'm fairly sure Notts wont let u resit just to boost marks. The policy at Nottingham is you keep the mark from your first attempt, if you fail you must resit to progress, but your original mark is what counts for the final grade anyway.
Original post by mnot
Good point i assumed this student was in a fail situation, i'm fairly sure Notts wont let u resit just to boost marks. The policy at Nottingham is you keep the mark from your first attempt, if you fail you must resit to progress, but your original mark is what counts for the final grade anyway.

I have 8 modules this year, and I'm pretty sure I have failed 4. I am afraid my overall second year average won't be 40%. So, I'm just scared of being kicked out. I will definitely talk to student services soon.
(edited 4 years ago)
I have 8 modules this year, and I'm pretty sure I have failed 4. I am afraid my overall second year average won't be 40%. So, I'm just scared of being kicked out. I will definitely talk to student services soon.

If you fail 4 modules you should be able to resit and try and scrape 40 over the summer. If not i think Nottingham most likely will let u resit, given that you've already passed 1 year as well.

Notts has an excellent welfare support program who might be able to help provide advice as well. Id email your tutor and ask for a meeting, i think this can solved quickly and hopefully put your mind at rest.
Original post by mnot

I am stopping myself going through the rules, but they all tend to be the same i.e unis discretion. Ive answered enough of these questions in the past.

Standard will be:
First attempt
Second attempt capped at 40% resit summer.
Retake.
To do either uncapped, then you can either let the uni decide for you or make an ext circs claims in the hope they remove the cap.

OP didnt provide enough information, but I was guessing with the way it was phrased is might not be about failing.
If as they say they have failed 4, then the uni will decide itself what to do which would be capped resits if this is first attempt.
The appropriate response is an ext circs claim if indeed they have ext circs. That might be enough to remove a cap.
They wont be kicked out if that was just first attempt, but you may have severely damaged your degree.
Reply 7
You need to talk to student services or your personal tutor if you have one as it looks like Nottingham uses first attempt for classification not 'capped resits'. It makes a big difference so you need someone who is knowledgeable about your programme and how much, if any, repeat study and resitting is permitted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending