The Student Room Group

Radiotherapy

Hi I’m wondering if anyone knows the difference, if there is one, between a radiotherapy and oncology course and just a radiotherapy course ?
Original post by Nicole0109
Hi I’m wondering if anyone knows the difference, if there is one, between a radiotherapy and oncology course and just a radiotherapy course ?

there isnt one really, its just different if diagnostic is in the name i believe.
It’s the same.

Diagnostic Radiography is different. I study diagnostics so can answer any questions you may have.
@Fermion. what’s diagnostic radiography like to study?
It’s rewarding and fast paced. You alternate between academic uni and clinical placements. 50% of the time you’re on placement and I get to go all over Scotland as well as small community hospitals and experience Radiography in different settings.

It’s difficult. The physics involved can be quite confusing - a lot of people pass the actual Diagnostic modules but fail to pass the physics modules. So it’s not the course for you if you hate physics.

There’s a huge scope for progression. You can go back to uni after your qualified and become a sonographer, or train in MRI. You can also progress towards advanced/consultant specialties. It’s fun. As a general radiographer you could be involved in something as normal as a broken arm or a trauma in A&E.

Downside is long hours. You could be on call. You could be required to do nightshifts. Radiotherapy is more of a 9-5 job as opposed to diagnostics.
Original post by Hazzabear
@Fermion. what’s diagnostic radiography like to study?

Quick Reply

Latest