The Student Room Group

Introducing TSRMedics™ - a site wide initiative to stimulate interest in medicine

Scroll to see replies

que the ''is 15 A* enough for oxbridge medicine :frown:?'' people
Original post by The RAR
I can just feel the elitist atmosphere, that will be the place where all your students with 10 A*s at GCSE and whatever will hang around. Your average TSR user has lots of A*s under their belt, you don't wanna know a MEDIC TSR's number of A*s
Original post by mpaprika
que the ''is 15 A* enough for oxbridge medicine :frown:?'' people

yeah lol
Is there a vaccination against sepsis available and if so do you think we should implement it across the NHS as standard?
may be biased here, but I've wondered what happens before and after a seizure, (also depends on the type - absence, tonic clonic)
Reply 24
Original post by 134841422
I want to axe a question - see in chemotherapy how WBC count decreases to dangerously low levels - could we not take a sample of blood from the person before chemotherapy and extract the WBCs and clone (like how in labs how specific WBCs are cultured to mass produce antibodies) and inject them into the body so they can replace the WBCs lost due to chemotherapy

that way we don't have to worry about them getting an infection - yes I know antibiotics can be used, but surely a functioning immune system is better than broad spectrum antibiotics

Or this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granulocyte_colony-stimulating_factor
Reply 25
I'd love to see a section on obstetrics! It's always been an area of interest for me and would like to learn more! (Also lovely to see that the page is up and running!)
Maybe have one talking about the different types of scans that can be used and why :smile:
This is a great Idea, I am hopefully going to start a Prosthetics degree in September, so although now I can't answer any questions on this niche area of allied health, I will slowly be able to answer anyones queries in this sector or at least bring the questions to professionals. But I'm interested in medicine anyway so this will feed my brain, thanks for the thread :h:, I'll try and think of some questions.
this thread seems interesting :smile:
Reply 29
Newly graduated doctor here :smile: Excellent idea ecolier- I especially would have loved a thread like this pre-med school/in earlier years! Would love to see some discussion around advances in neonatology/child development/anything paediatrics related (will post specifics if I come across anything especially interesting
(edited 4 years ago)
Woop! Woop! This would deffo help me thanks @ecolier I’m gonna do my A levels this September and looking forward to do medicine and I’m gonna need some help in which topic to do in my EPQ! This would deffo help me in the future and my research!
I’m interested in anything to do with heart and neurology related. Also cancer why is there no cure for cancer?
Yes, it is a great thread for epq ideas! Why didn’t I think of that angle?
Original post by Oxford Mum
Yes, it is a great thread for epq ideas! Why didn’t I think of that angle?

Yeah it would really help me develop a greater understanding of medicine and what topics I would like to do before starting my A levels! đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Thanks for the reply on Cancer I’m Wanting to do an EPQ on it but I’m keep on changing ideas! Anyway I didn’t know the answer for that question for years now thank you soo much for answering it this is so helpful for all people who are doing EPQ (like myself) 🙌🙌
another topic (and one which is close to my heart) is the pros and cons of locumming. I'm aware pros and cons may vary from profession to profession but there may be some similar issues that overlap (this would be an open mic style topic so different professionals can weigh in their pros and cons and suggest ways to deal with cons).
This is a fantastic idea. Very keen to help out and be involved in this! :h:
When will the thread about how cancer works and kill be live? Could I be tagged or something?
I'd love to see a discussion about being a teaching fellow as well being a doctor. How you go about it etc. :smile:
That's ultimately intriguing! How come I didn't come across this thread before!

I also would appreciate it if you can tag me in every topic being introduced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending