The Student Room Group

Low entry requirements?

How come different universities ask for lower entry requirements for the same course. I have noticed that for biochemistry, Kent only require BBC when biochemistry is usually AAB. Why is there such a huge difference?
Original post by Icykitten
How come different universities ask for lower entry requirements for the same course. I have noticed that for biochemistry, Kent only require BBC when biochemistry is usually AAB. Why is there such a huge difference?

Supply and demand.
Hi there!
Each university will set their entry requirements to what they believe students will need to have in order to be in the best position to complete their degree at that specific university.
As @ageshallnot has said it can sometimes also be down to supply and demand. But it's also important to consider that not everyone who wants to study Biochemistry will have the predicted/achieved grades of AAB, so with some universities such as Kent, having lower entry requirements for Biochemistry it means that Biochemistry also remains a degree option open to more students. Additionally, despite having lower entry requirements that other universities you have seen, Kent still remains rather high in the league tables for Biological Sciences.
Entry requirements can also be set based on other factors too, it is purely the university's decision really :smile: I hope that answers your question :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
Each university will set their entry requirements to what they believe students will need to have in order to be in the best position to complete their degree at that specific university.
As @ageshallnot has said it can sometimes also be down to supply and demand. But it's also important to consider that not everyone who wants to study Biochemistry will have the predicted/achieved grades of AAB, so with some universities such as Kent, having lower entry requirements for Biochemistry it means that Biochemistry also remains a degree option open to more students. Additionally, despite having lower entry requirements that other universities you have seen, Kent still remains rather high in the league tables for Biological Sciences.
Entry requirements can also be set based on other factors too, it is purely the university's decision really :smile: I hope that answers your question :smile:

Hi there, thanks for the reply.
That’s what I was so confused about because Kent for biochemistry is so high up on the league table yet it has such low entry grades, in fact it ranks above the other universities I was considering for biochemistry that need AAB so I wasn’t really sure what to think of that.
No problem at all! If you believe you will meet the entry requirements and enjoy the course then you should definitely look at applying to Kent :smile: Make sure you take a look closely at the modules and course structure at each of your chosen universities too as this can really shape your university experience. There is a unibuddy programme at Kent where prospective students like yourself can talk to current students studying the same subject, I'll pop the link below in case you're interested :smile: Good luck with your university applications!
Unibuddy; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/
That’s what I was so confused about because Kent for biochemistry is so high up on the league table yet it has such low entry grades, in fact it ranks above the other universities I was considering for biochemistry that need AAB so I wasn’t really sure what to think of that.

Often it's not the same course or the same level of difficulty.

Usually due to a lower ranking university and they do this to attract more students. You can see university course ranking on chooseauni.com

Hi according to the Guardian good university guide U of Kent is ranked 61st for Biosciences and 65th overall so its a mid-ranking university and has a mid-ranking Biosciences department. Don't get me wrong, its a nice uni but it's not in the top tier of universities. Hence that's why it's asking for BBC and not AAB.

League table ranking =/= popularity, though. Some unis (e.g. Aberystwyth, Aberdeen etc) are always not going to be an option for some people due to their location. Some unis, who've moved up league tables quickly don't have a historic reputation to trade on/attract students. Some unis have problematic reputations, which can affect the student numbers they attract and so on.

If you like the uni, and like the course, don't let low entry requirements put you off! View it as a bonus!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending