The Student Room Group

Confused about University of Oxford Entry Requirements for Physics

Hi guys, this is my first post of any sorts on TSR.

For context, I'm currently in yr 12 about to go into yr 13 and I'm doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I'm really interested in studying physics at Oxford, but on their entry requirements page, it says it's "highly recommended" that you take a maths mechanics module. What do they mean by this? Are they referring to the further mechanics modules? If so, is it possible to separately take an exam on this but not the overall further maths A level?

Would greatly appreciate any responses.
That is weird, considering you have to sit mechanics now. I don't think they want you to sit the Further Module, and I don't even think you can enter them that way anymore. Maybe it's left over from the old modular maths A level that I sat last year, where you could miss mechanics entirely, or take extra modules.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm studying Maths at Oxford, so if you have any questions, or want someone to look at your personal statement, just chuck me a message.
THANK GOD someone is in the same position as me. I am also wondering about this and if this helps, I have decided to take an AS LEVEL Further Maths at the end of Year 13 along with Physics, Maths and History. But I have also be wondering whether I should apply because I've heard recently that all students that have read Physics at Oxford have Further Maths and it is only those whose schools don't offer it that are also admitted.
My school offers it but I only recently discovered that Further Maths might be a requirement and so am choosing to self study and take the exam elsewhere.
For A Level maths you are correct that you do not take them modularly anymore however it could be the Further Mechanics Module for Further Maths or likely that the entry requirements page haven't been updated either way I wouldn't worry too much about it and if you're serious about a career in physics then studying the mechanics modules makes the most sense or at least it does to me.
Slight correction on this point, you can get in without it. Dw.
Original post by mvphoebe
...I've heard recently that all students that have read Physics at Oxford have Further Maths and it is only those whose schools don't offer it that are also admitted...
I think this may be a reference to when maths exams were still modular, and students did decision, stats or mechanics modules, and might not do any mechanics (this could be student or teacher choice).

Now Maths A-level is linear obviously this doesn't really apply- it might be worth contacting Oxford to clarify and ask how they would view your application.
Reply 6
I'm glad you've said that, I was wondering if it was just the admissions section being outdated. Thanks.
Original post by vicvic38
That is weird, considering you have to sit mechanics now. I don't think they want you to sit the Further Module, and I don't even think you can enter them that way anymore. Maybe it's left over from the old modular maths A level that I sat last year, where you could miss mechanics entirely, or take extra modules.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm studying Maths at Oxford, so if you have any questions, or want someone to look at your personal statement, just chuck me a message.
Reply 7
It may be a good idea to contact them just in case, thanks.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Now Maths A-level is linear obviously this doesn't really apply- it might be worth contacting Oxford to clarify and ask how they would view your application.
Bear in mind applicants from Wale and internationally still sit modular A-levels, so the reference is still relevant for those people. It is also relevant to those taking A-level Further Maths who have the option to do more mechanics options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending