The Student Room Group

Raf firefighter

Hi was wondering if there is any serving RAF firefighters on here that could maybe tell me a day in the life, how often you go away? if its possible for you to pick up other qualifications on the way? Eg orienteering. And how often you can do stuff like adventure training? Thanks!
I’m not a serving firefighter.

However I can answer a few.

You’ll be deploying every 18 months for 4-6 months as an SAC.

The amount of time you get to do AT is dependent on the manning of your unit.

The majority of your day you’ll be there to respond to any emergency state on the airfield - this will mean quite of lot time waiting around on duty though most sections have a gym, will conduct fire training, do other fire related duties or work on their secondary duties.

Depending on the unit will depend what hours you’ll work and the size of the crew you’ll be on.
Reply 2
Original post by AlphaTango
I’m not a serving firefighter.

However I can answer a few.

You’ll be deploying every 18 months for 4-6 months as an SAC.

The amount of time you get to do AT is dependent on the manning of your unit.

The majority of your day you’ll be there to respond to any emergency state on the airfield - this will mean quite of lot time waiting around on duty though most sections have a gym, will conduct fire training, do other fire related duties or work on their secondary duties.

Depending on the unit will depend what hours you’ll work and the size of the crew you’ll be on.

Okay thanks! When you say deploy every 18 months do you mean go away to another country? And what does AT stand for sorry? And finally can you attend the gym whilst on duty or is that only in downtime? Thankyou!
Original post by jordyrusty
Okay thanks! When you say deploy every 18 months do you mean go away to another country? And what does AT stand for sorry? And finally can you attend the gym whilst on duty or is that only in downtime? Thankyou!

Deploy abroad on operations.

Adventure training.

On duty.
Original post by jordyrusty
Hi was wondering if there is any serving RAF firefighters on here that could maybe tell me a day in the life, how often you go away? if its possible for you to pick up other qualifications n the way? Eg orienteering. And how often you can do stuff like adventure training? Thanks!

Look at RAF firefighter the job. More info on that.

Quick Reply

Latest