The Student Room Group

Period lasted one day

I’ve been on the pill since March (Microgynon). Every month my withdrawal bleed has been pretty normal, lasting 3-4 days. But this month it has only lasted a day, well roughly 10 hours. I have not missed a single pill and have taken them at the same time every day.

What could be the reason for this? Is it normal or should I be worried?
Is there anything else which has happened which is not normal for you?
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been on the pill since March (Microgynon). Every month my withdrawal bleed has been pretty normal, lasting 3-4 days. But this month it has only lasted a day, well roughly 10 hours. I have not missed a single pill and have taken them at the same time every day.

What could be the reason for this? Is it normal or should I be worried?

Were your periods regular before the pill? I wouldn't worry too much if you've taken your pill correctly.
As someone who's had irregular periods since they started, I can randomly get days where I'll bleed for the day and then it seems to stop for like 24 hours, then it starts again like a "normal" period for about 3-4 days. A lot of women have irregular periods. Mine have been so irregular that I've never been able to predict my next period so I don't bother keeping a period schedule. I can go months without one and with the implant, it can go more than a year without a period.
It's harmless but if you're worried and it's not normal for you, you should always consult a doctor.
Original post by -Eirlys-
Were your periods regular before the pill? I wouldn't worry too much if you've taken your pill correctly.
As someone who's had irregular periods since they started, I can randomly get days where I'll bleed for the day and then it seems to stop for like 24 hours, then it starts again like a "normal" period for about 3-4 days. A lot of women have irregular periods. Mine have been so irregular that I've never been able to predict my next period so I don't bother keeping a period schedule. I can go months without one and with the implant, it can go more than a year without a period.
It's harmless but if you're worried and it's not normal for you, you should always consult a doctor.

People on the combined pill don't actually get periods - they get withdrawal bleeds. These are induced by stopping the pill during the pill-free week and they should be regular. So I doubt what you are saying applies to OP (though of course you are right about some people having periods that are difficult to predict). But you can sometimes get random spotting with the pill - maybe this is what caused this?

Quick Reply

Latest