The Student Room Group

Ask the Admissions Team - Results Day

Hi everyone!

I'm back to help answer any questions about results, the summer pool, confirmation of places and starting at Cambridge. This thread will run through A level results week and until the 20th August. We've put together a short FAQ below to help answer some of the most common questions at this time of year. TSR also has a very helpful guide on results day.

We know how stressful and emotional it can all be. We all get quite invested too, particularly in cases where we have applicants who we've seen in school, have come to our events/open days then the offer-holders open day or applicants who we know have had to overcome some seriously tough times. There's honestly quite a bit of air punching and excitement or swearing and disappointment when the results come in. It isn't us spouting clichés, we really do view each applicant as an individual and we're rooting for them!

If your question is along the lines of 'I think I missed my offer, what are my chances' then I'm afraid that nobody on TSR can help as all decisions on missed offers are made individually on case-by-case basis and there's really no point in engaging in long hypotheticals or trying to learn from previous cases. All our offer-holders are individuals and we treat them as such.

Experience also shows that (very) few students are actually clairvoyant you may think you know exactly what mark you got but you really have to wait and see on results day. We’ve been doing this for a while and the overwhelming majority of people who are ‘convinced’ they’ve ‘failed’ and missed their offer are flat-out wrong.

FAQ
More general information, an FAQ about results day is here!

When do you get the results and make decisions?
We have some results now and will get more in the next few days and will aim to make and enter decisions for the majority of applicants ready for them to go live A level results day. However, there will be cases where a decision cannot be made yet (Summer Pool, we want to know marks, results are missing from the information we got sent etc.) where it won't be confirmed until after we have heard from you on the 15th.

What could happen?
Accepted if you meet the offer conditions
Accepted even though you missed (this may require you to send your marks)
Still under consideration by you preference College or the Summer Pool (send your marks)
Rejected and released to your insurance choice or clearing if you miss the offer and are not thought to be of interest in the Summer Pool (the University has clear guidelines for this).
You won't be accepted by another College on the 15th

If you miss your offer and are still pending on the 16th, the Summer Pool takes place and you may:
Be accepted by your preference College
Be accepted by another College
Be rejected and released to your insurance choice or clearing

There's a slight chance you may still be pending after the 16th and once again you may:

How will I know if I’m in?
You will know via UCAS Track, from the results you have achieved (if you meet or exceed your offer, your place is certain) and you should also hear from the College by post (hopefully on results day but possibly the next day if the post doesn't behave). If Track updates to show you as ‘unconditional’ at Cambridge then you’re in, regardless of whether the results you get meet the offer or not. Celebrate! Do not phone, email or turn up to check if it says you’re in, then you’re in.

When will UCAS Track update?
Track updates by 8 am on the 15th. Don't read too much into things if your Track doesn't update - go and get your results before contacting us. There may just be a delay in the news getting from Cambridge to UCAS (we don’t update Track, UCAS do).

If Track hasn’t updated then collect your results before getting in touch with your college. Emailing your college is better than phoning (we’re busy and answering phones slows us down but we’ll respond to emails as and when we can). Do not turn up at the College as you will not be allowed in to see the Admissions Team and there’s nothing you can’t do via email.

I’ve missed my offer what now?
If you have missed your offer conditions then you could still end up at Cambridge if Track is showing ‘conditional.’ Your preference College may decide to relax your conditions if you have just fallen short of your offer. All decisions are taken on a case-by-case basis taking all available information into account. This includes your personal statement, Admissions Assessment, submitted written work, teacher’s reference, interview reports, how close the missing grade was, how many other people missed their offer in your subject, how many other people miss their offer because of the same exam etc.

The important thing if you miss your offer is to tell the College your marks in every subject and arrange for any remarks as soon as possible. We’re happy for you to snap a picture on your phone and email it in the first instance but this should be followed up with a proper scan, ideally certified by a teacher, later on in the day.

If your preference College isn’t willing to relax your conditions then you may be either rejected or put into the Summer Pool (see below).

If your Track shows as rejected then I’m afraid your application to Cambridge has been unsuccessful and you have been passed to your insurance choice or into clearing. This won’t be what you hoped for so take some time to let things sink in. If this has happened there is no need to send your marks as there is no way to revisit your application unless a re-mark results in you meeting the original conditions of your offer by 31st August. A re-mark where you grades improve but don’t meet the offer conditions will not allow us to take you.

I’ve missed the grades but have asked for a remark what do I need to do?
We will make decisions using the grades we have, but will make a note on your file in the pool that you have requested a remark. If you do miss the offer it is very important that you email your marks to your College as soon as possible. We can take you back from your insurance choice if you meet the conditions of your offer by 31st August. We aim to act quickly so that you don’t miss out on accommodation etc. at your insurance choice or miss the opportunity to get a place in clearing.

Should I reapply?
Successful reapplicants typically exceed the typical offer for their course so if you haven’t met the offer and don’t have compelling extenuating circumstances then a reapplication for the same or a different course is unlikely to be successful.

We appreciate that you have been thinking about starting in Cambridge and it will be a shock if you’re not accepted but remember that there are many excellent universities and that students who don’t come to Cambridge go on to do fantastically well, and be fantastically happy, elsewhere. Don’t make any rash decisions (e.g. rejecting your insurance because you feel angry) without talking to your supporters and advisers first.

I was rejected in January but have great results! Can I come to Cambridge?
This year, for the first time, Cambridge will be participating in Adjustment. UCAS Adjustment allows students who have met all the conditions of their conditional-firm offer, and exceeded at least one, the opportunity to be considered by other universities without jeopardising their place. Vambridge will consider applicants through Adjustment from UK domiciled students studying at UK schools, who applied in the 2018/19 admissions cycle, were interviewed by a Cambridge College and whose applications were flagged as meeting our widening participation criteria listed at
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/adjustment. For more information, please see the University website.

All those eligible for Adjustment were contacted earlier in the year. Otherwise, the only way to start at Cambridge in October is to hold an offer. There is no opportunity to revisit unsuccessful applications which do not meet the eligibility requirements for Adjustment. You might think about reapplying, and this may be a sensible choice for some people, but remember that you may be rejected a second time so you should only consider this if you’re excited about the idea of a gap year and have something planned. Take your time and think very carefully about offers you hold to start in 2019.

What should(n’t) I do?
DO: Make a plan ahead of time for what you will do in case you miss your conditions. Are you happy with your insurance? Do you want to go into clearing?

DO: Take a charged smartphone if you have one, along with the relevant email addresses and phone numbers you might need.

DO: Stay calm! If you don’t get the results you were hoping for then it is probably best to get on top of sorting out remarks (once you’ve checked Track) before getting in touch with us as they are time-sensitive.

DON’T: Inform us of extenuating circumstances on results day we can’t take them into account unless we know about them in advance.

DON’T: Phone to check if you’re really in or that there’s not a mistake on Track or you’ve not been sent the wrong letter if you’re in then you’re in congratulations!

DON’T: Phone around colleges hoping to be accepted that isn’t how the Summer Pool works. If you’re thinking of reapplying then there’ll be another thread for you along shortly. For information on UCAS Adjustment see the University website.

DON’T: Get your teacher/parent/carer/supporter/friend to call up for you. We can only discuss the details with the candidate themselves.

The Summer Pool
It is much smaller than the Winter Pool (a few hundred rather than 900ish) and about 25% of this is Maths. There isn't a set number of places - this depends on how many colleges are looking, how short of students they are (in all subjects) and who is in the pool. Colleges and the University can vary the number of students taken overall and taken in most subjects in response to the strength of candidates. Colleges would rather end up with a smaller year group than take a weak candidate* but success rates are generally higher than in the Winter Pool as colleges only Pool candidates who are realistic prospects for a place.

*So if you are fished you are meant to be at Cambridge - students from the Summer Pool or with waived conditions get the same results (no significant difference statistically) as those who met their offers.

How do I get put in the Summer Pool?
The College you hold an offer at decides whether they want to relax your offer or not and whether they think you're of interest in the Summer Pool (but there are strong guidelines as to what counts as a realistic Summer Pool candidate and there are some compulsory pooling criteria, just like at the Winter Pool). Only a minority of those candidates who miss their offer are put in the Pool.

THE PROCESS IS DIFFERENT IF YOU ARE AN OPEN OFFER HOLDER SEE BELOW

How will I know if I am being put in the Pool?
Your preference College should tell you on the 15th that you are being put in the Pool and check that you’re happy with this. If you’d rather be released to your insurance or into clearing then let them know at this point.

When is it?
The Pool happens on the Friday after results day (16th).

When will I find out if I’ve been taken?
You should hear by the Friday evening but there is a chance that a small number of people won’t hear until the Monday. You’ll hear whether you are successful or not but please be reactive and don’t chase us the more time we spend answering phones or emails then the less time we have to do what needs doing.

What are my chances?
Very roughly, working from previous years, and with approximate fractions:

Overall about 2 in 3 offer-holders with conditional offers meet their offer (3 out of 4 excluding maths where only about 50% meet their offer). Of those who miss the offer about 1 in 3 are relaxed (nearer 40% excluding maths). Of those not relaxed, about 1 in 5 are pooled (nearer 1 in 6 for maths). Summer Pool pick rates vary way too much to make any statement about - everything is case-by-case. Overall about 4 in 5 of our offer holders end up at Cambridge (5 in 6 excluding maths).

This may or may not change with Adjustment. I'm afraid I won't be able to help with questions along these lines as it would just be speculation.

Open offers
I have an open offer what does this mean?
If you have an open offer and meet your conditions then your place at Cambridge is guaranteed. However, which college you’ll be at may not be determined until the Summer Pool on the 16th. We would then aim to communicate decisions as quickly as possible via email and UCAS track, to be followed up by full details in the post exactly as for others offered places in the summer pool. If you are an open offer holder and you miss your conditions, you may still be put in the Summer Pool but you wouldn’t be guaranteed a place.

Freshers information
Make sure to take a look at the official Welcome to Cambridge events where you'll have the chance to meet current students and fellow freshers!

How do I get my university email address?
You don't have to wait until you get here but you do have to wait for an email from Student Registry. This will have instructions on what to do. There's a leaflet from the University with information which is sent to all our incoming students but it can also be found at
https://help.uis.cam.ac.uk/new-starters/it-for-students.

Is there any preliminary reading?
Glad to hear you’re keen! There might be or there might not be, depending on your course and College. If there is anything your Director of Studies would like you to do then they will be in touch but please don’t chase us - there might not be any and make sure you’re taking a break!

Depending on your course you might also be registered for Moodle before you arrive so you can access reading lists and preliminary work. This can be done using the email address you gave on your application (which I hope you all kept up to date and isn't an expired school email!).

When should I arrive?
Your College will be in touch with dates. Lectures etc. will start in the week of the 7th Oct so most students will arrive over the weekend before and certainly by the 7th. Your college may specify arrival times to help with the unloading of hundreds of cars into old buildings.

Overseas and EU students may be allowed to arrive earlier to attend some of the optional settling in events in international freshers week. You may also have to arrive early for course-specific summer schools etc. but your College will be in touch.

How do I sort accommodation?
Your College will be in touch with details of your accommodation. Cambridge is not like other universities - we work on the assumption that everyone will live in so you don't need to register for accommodation in the same way as at other universities. Your college will let you know when you can move in.

What's provided in my room?
It is difficult to say exactly what you'll get in all colleges but your room will be furnished and you'll almost certainly be provided with a duvet, pillow, lamp, desk, chair etc. Your college may be in touch with more information, otherwise drop your JCR freshers' rep an eamil - they'll be happy to answer any questions you have. There may also be an official freshers group

Scroll to see replies

Just quoting in everyone from the offer holders thread so you guys definitely find this :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Just quoting in everyone from the offer holders thread so you guys definitely find this :biggrin:

Spoiler

Thanks for copying us all in to this, @Puddles the Monkey. This is a very useful vade mecum of results day at Cambridge.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Overall about 2 in 3 offer-holders with conditional offers meet their offer (3 out of 4 excluding maths where only about 50% meet their offer). Of those who miss the offer about 1 in 3 are relaxed (nearer 40% excluding maths). Of those not relaxed, about 1 in 5 are pooled (nearer 1 in 6 for maths). Summer Pool pick rates vary way too much to make any statement about - everything is case-by-case. Overall about 4 in 5 of our offer holders end up at Cambridge (5 in 6 excluding maths).

Maths offer-holders are *less* likely than average to have their offers relaxed/be pooled? I thought it was the other way round -- there are way more mathmos with 1,2 in STEP than NatScis with A*AA, right?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi everyone!

I'm back to help answer any questions about results, the summer pool, confirmation of places and starting at Cambridge. This thread will run through A level results week and until the 20th August. We've put together a short FAQ below to help answer some of the most common questions at this time of year. TSR also has a very helpful guide on results day.

We know how stressful and emotional it can all be. We all get quite invested too, particularly in cases where we have applicants who we've seen in school, have come to our events/open days then the offer-holders open day or applicants who we know have had to overcome some seriously tough times. There's honestly quite a bit of air punching and excitement or swearing and disappointment when the results come in. It isn't us spouting clichés, we really do view each applicant as an individual and we're rooting for them!

If your question is along the lines of 'I think I missed my offer, what are my chances' then I'm afraid that nobody on TSR can help as all decisions on missed offers are made individually on case-by-case basis and there's really no point in engaging in long hypotheticals or trying to learn from previous cases. All our offer-holders are individuals and we treat them as such.

Experience also shows that (very) few students are actually clairvoyant you may think you know exactly what mark you got but you really have to wait and see on results day. We’ve been doing this for a while and the overwhelming majority of people who are ‘convinced’ they’ve ‘failed’ and missed their offer are flat-out wrong.

FAQ
More general information, an FAQ about results day is here!

When do you get the results and make decisions?
We have some results now and will get more in the next few days and will aim to make and enter decisions for the majority of applicants ready for them to go live A level results day. However, there will be cases where a decision cannot be made yet (Summer Pool, we want to know marks, results are missing from the information we got sent etc.) where it won't be confirmed until after we have heard from you on the 15th.

What could happen?
Accepted if you meet the offer conditions
Accepted even though you missed (this may require you to send your marks)
Still under consideration by you preference College or the Summer Pool (send your marks)
Rejected and released to your insurance choice or clearing if you miss the offer and are not thought to be of interest in the Summer Pool (the University has clear guidelines for this).
You won't be accepted by another College on the 15th

If you miss your offer and are still pending on the 16th, the Summer Pool takes place and you may:

There's a slight chance you may still be pending after the 16th and once again you may:

How will I know if I’m in?
You will know via UCAS Track, from the results you have achieved (if you meet or exceed your offer, your place is certain) and you should also hear from the College by post (hopefully on results day but possibly the next day if the post doesn't behave). If Track updates to show you as ‘unconditional’ at Cambridge then you’re in, regardless of whether the results you get meet the offer or not. Celebrate! Do not phone, email or turn up to check if it says you’re in, then you’re in.

When will UCAS Track update?
Track updates by 8 am on the 15th. Don't read too much into things if your Track doesn't update - go and get your results before contacting us. There may just be a delay in the news getting from Cambridge to UCAS (we don’t update Track, UCAS do).

If Track hasn’t updated then collect your results before getting in touch with your college. Emailing your college is better than phoning (we’re busy and answering phones slows us down but we’ll respond to emails as and when we can). Do not turn up at the College as you will not be allowed in to see the Admissions Team and there’s nothing you can’t do via email.

I’ve missed my offer what now?
If you have missed your offer conditions then you could still end up at Cambridge if Track is showing ‘conditional.’ Your preference College may decide to relax your conditions if you have just fallen short of your offer. All decisions are taken on a case-by-case basis taking all available information into account. This includes your personal statement, Admissions Assessment, submitted written work, teacher’s reference, interview reports, how close the missing grade was, how many other people missed their offer in your subject, how many other people miss their offer because of the same exam etc.

The important thing if you miss your offer is to tell the College your marks in every subject and arrange for any remarks as soon as possible. We’re happy for you to snap a picture on your phone and email it in the first instance but this should be followed up with a proper scan, ideally certified by a teacher, later on in the day.

If your preference College isn’t willing to relax your conditions then you may be either rejected or put into the Summer Pool (see below).

If your Track shows as rejected then I’m afraid your application to Cambridge has been unsuccessful and you have been passed to your insurance choice or into clearing. This won’t be what you hoped for so take some time to let things sink in. If this has happened there is no need to send your marks as there is no way to revisit your application unless a re-mark results in you meeting the original conditions of your offer by 31st August. A re-mark where you grades improve but don’t meet the offer conditions will not allow us to take you.

I’ve missed the grades but have asked for a remark what do I need to do?
We will make decisions using the grades we have, but will make a note on your file in the pool that you have requested a remark. If you do miss the offer it is very important that you email your marks to your College as soon as possible. We can take you back from your insurance choice if you meet the conditions of your offer by 31st August. We aim to act quickly so that you don’t miss out on accommodation etc. at your insurance choice or miss the opportunity to get a place in clearing.

Should I reapply?
Successful reapplicants typically exceed the typical offer for their course so if you haven’t met the offer and don’t have compelling extenuating circumstances then a reapplication for the same or a different course is unlikely to be successful.

We appreciate that you have been thinking about starting in Cambridge and it will be a shock if you’re not accepted but remember that there are many excellent universities and that students who don’t come to Cambridge go on to do fantastically well, and be fantastically happy, elsewhere. Don’t make any rash decisions (e.g. rejecting your insurance because you feel angry) without talking to your supporters and advisers first.

I was rejected in January but have great results! Can I come to Cambridge?
This year, for the first time, Cambridge will be participating in Adjustment. UCAS Adjustment allows students who have met all the conditions of their conditional-firm offer, and exceeded at least one, the opportunity to be considered by other universities without jeopardising their place. Vambridge will consider applicants through Adjustment from UK domiciled students studying at UK schools, who applied in the 2018/19 admissions cycle, were interviewed by a Cambridge College and whose applications were flagged as meeting our widening participation criteria listed at
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/adjustment. For more information, please see the University website.

All those eligible for Adjustment were contacted earlier in the year. Otherwise, the only way to start at Cambridge in October is to hold an offer. There is no opportunity to revisit unsuccessful applications which do not meet the eligibility requirements for Adjustment. You might think about reapplying, and this may be a sensible choice for some people, but remember that you may be rejected a second time so you should only consider this if you’re excited about the idea of a gap year and have something planned. Take your time and think very carefully about offers you hold to start in 2019.

What should(n’t) I do?
DO: Make a plan ahead of time for what you will do in case you miss your conditions. Are you happy with your insurance? Do you want to go into clearing?

DO: Take a charged smartphone if you have one, along with the relevant email addresses and phone numbers you might need.

DO: Stay calm! If you don’t get the results you were hoping for then it is probably best to get on top of sorting out remarks (once you’ve checked Track) before getting in touch with us as they are time-sensitive.

DON’T: Inform us of extenuating circumstances on results day we can’t take them into account unless we know about them in advance.

DON’T: Phone to check if you’re really in or that there’s not a mistake on Track or you’ve not been sent the wrong letter if you’re in then you’re in congratulations!

DON’T: Phone around colleges hoping to be accepted that isn’t how the Summer Pool works. If you’re thinking of reapplying then there’ll be another thread for you along shortly. For information on UCAS Adjustment see the University website.

DON’T: Get your teacher/parent/carer/supporter/friend to call up for you. We can only discuss the details with the candidate themselves.

The Summer Pool
It is much smaller than the Winter Pool (a few hundred rather than 900ish) and about 25% of this is Maths. There isn't a set number of places - this depends on how many colleges are looking, how short of students they are (in all subjects) and who is in the pool. Colleges and the University can vary the number of students taken overall and taken in most subjects in response to the strength of candidates. Colleges would rather end up with a smaller year group than take a weak candidate* but success rates are generally higher than in the Winter Pool as colleges only Pool candidates who are realistic prospects for a place.

*So if you are fished you are meant to be at Cambridge - students from the Summer Pool or with waived conditions get the same results (no significant difference statistically) as those who met their offers.

How do I get put in the Summer Pool?
The College you hold an offer at decides whether they want to relax your offer or not and whether they think you're of interest in the Summer Pool (but there are strong guidelines as to what counts as a realistic Summer Pool candidate and there are some compulsory pooling criteria, just like at the Winter Pool). Only a minority of those candidates who miss their offer are put in the Pool.

How will I know if I am being put in the Pool?
Your preference College should tell you on the 15th that you are being put in the Pool and check that you’re happy with this. If you’d rather be released to your insurance or into clearing then let them know at this point.

When is it?
The Pool happens on the Friday after results day (16th).

When will I find out if I’ve been taken?
You should hear by the Friday evening but there is a chance that a small number of people won’t hear until the Monday. You’ll hear whether you are successful or not but please be reactive and don’t chase us the more time we spend answering phones or emails then the less time we have to do what needs doing.

What are my chances?
Very roughly, working from previous years, and with approximate fractions:

This may or may not change with Adjustment. I'm afraid I won't be able to help with questions along these lines as it would just be speculation.

Open offers
I have an open offer what does this mean?
If you have an open offer and meet your conditions then your place at Cambridge is guaranteed. However, which college you’ll be at may not be determined until the Summer Pool on the 16th. We would then aim to communicate decisions as quickly as possible via email and UCAS track, to be followed up by full details in the post exactly as for others offered places in the summer pool. If you are an open offer holder and you miss your conditions, you may still be put in the Summer Pool but you wouldn’t be guaranteed a place.

Freshers information
Make sure to take a look at the official Welcome to Cambridge events where you'll have the chance to meet current students and fellow freshers!

How do I get my university email address?
You don't have to wait until you get here but you do have to wait for an email from Student Registry. This will have instructions on what to do. There's a leaflet from the University with information which is sent to all our incoming students but it can also be found at
https://help.uis.cam.ac.uk/new-starters/it-for-students.

Is there any preliminary reading?
Glad to hear you’re keen! There might be or there might not be, depending on your course and College. If there is anything your Director of Studies would like you to do then they will be in touch but please don’t chase us - there might not be any and make sure you’re taking a break!

Depending on your course you might also be registered for Moodle before you arrive so you can access reading lists and preliminary work. This can be done using the email address you gave on your application (which I hope you all kept up to date and isn't an expired school email!).

When should I arrive?
Your College will be in touch with dates. Lectures etc. will start in the week of the 7th Oct so most students will arrive over the weekend before and certainly by the 7th. Your college may specify arrival times to help with the unloading of hundreds of cars into old buildings.

Overseas and EU students may be allowed to arrive earlier to attend some of the optional settling in events in international freshers week. You may also have to arrive early for course-specific summer schools etc. but your College will be in touch.

How do I sort accommodation?
Your College will be in touch with details of your accommodation. Cambridge is not like other universities - we work on the assumption that everyone will live in so you don't need to register for accommodation in the same way as at other universities. Your college will let you know when you can move in.

What's provided in my room?
It is difficult to say exactly what you'll get in all colleges but your room will be furnished and you'll almost certainly be provided with a duvet, pillow, lamp, desk, chair etc. Your college may be in touch with more information, otherwise drop your JCR freshers' rep an eamil - they'll be happy to answer any questions you have. There may also be an official freshers group

What exactly are the guidelines the uni has for being put into the summer pool?

Also, should you make your college aware if your school applied for special consideration for exams or is this not necessary?
Hey,
I applied to Cambridge University to study Medicine, however was rejected after being pooled. I was then sent an email explaining that I am eligible for Adjustment this year. So I had a few questions regarding the adjustment process:

Firstly, as an estimate based on the summer pool in previous years, how many places for medicine are likely to be available? Additionally, I was wondering whether my grades and application data would be available to all colleges for adjustment? If so, would me being pooled be seen as an advantage in the adjustment process?

Thank you for this thread
Original post by Memeee786
Hey,
I applied to Cambridge University to study Medicine, however was rejected after being pooled. I was then sent an email explaining that I am eligible for Adjustment this year. So I had a few questions regarding the adjustment process:

Firstly, as an estimate based on the summer pool in previous years, how many places for medicine are likely to be available? Additionally, I was wondering whether my grades and application data would be available to all colleges for adjustment? If so, would me being pooled be seen as an advantage in the adjustment process?

Thank you for this thread

Hi, thanks for posting!

We don't yet know the nunber of places available in each subject and previous years won't be a reliable guide. The information will be available later this week. All colleges will be able to see all candidates, including their original applications.
Original post by beckyyfoster
What exactly are the guidelines the uni has for being put into the summer pool?

Also, should you make your college aware if your school applied for special consideration for exams or is this not necessary?

Hi, thanks for posting!

You should make your college aware of anything and everything. Do this today, don't wait for Thursday.

The Summer Pool is for candidates likely to be of interest to other colleges so will certainly include any candidates who have met the typical offer but missed any college-specific requirements, like STEP I conditions for Engineering, for example.
Reply 8
Bit irrelevant but in the intro I read about offer holders day, I didn't get an invite from my college (St. Catharine's). Do all colleges have offer holders day? Wondering if I missed out...
Reply 9
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Spoiler

Thanks for this, very thoughtful.
Original post by psu
Bit irrelevant but in the intro I read about offer holders day, I didn't get an invite from my college (St. Catharine's). Do all colleges have offer holders day? Wondering if I missed out...

Not all colleges have one.
Just a quick note to any students getting CIE results today - these results are subject to the A level results embargo and colleges cannot enter any discussions or communicate any decisions until Thursday.
Original post by Audrey_chikosha
Hi,

a couple months ago I received the email from admissions about adjustment. After receiving my results (I do the IB) I had met the overall point score of a typical offer for law but didn’t have 776 at higher. Do you think it’s still worth going through the adjustment process?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm afraid that if you haven't met the typical offer for the course then you won't be eligible for Adjustment.
Reply 13
Stickied :smile:
Okay help so my offer for geography was A*AA in further maths, geog, politics. Slipped on my FM grade but achieved the general offer of A*AA with my other subject single maths which I also sat this year. UCAS still says conditional. No emails or anything from my college. Have emailed my marks breakdown but heard nothing. Is it just a waiting game now? Am I in the pool or??
Original post by beckyyfoster
Okay help so my offer for geography was A*AA in further maths, geog, politics. Slipped on my FM grade but achieved the general offer of A*AA with my other subject single maths which I also sat this year. UCAS still says conditional. No emails or anything from my college. Have emailed my marks breakdown but heard nothing. Is it just a waiting game now? Am I in the pool or??

If you've met the typical offer for your subject (A*AA), which it seems you have, then you will be put into the Summer Pool if you aren't taken by your college. The Summer Pool takes place tomorrow, see the first post for more information.
Is it normal to feel self-conscious about your grades even if you met your offer?It’s hard to know that everyone else around me has a grade that I really should’ve got and to not have it makes me feel like I shouldn’t get in? X
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by WanderlustWilson
Is it normal to feel self-conscious about your grades even if you met your offer?It’s hard to know that everyone else around me has a grade that I really should’ve got and to not have it makes me feel like I shouldn’t get in? X

Grades are not a measure of your worth :smile:. Congratulations on your results!
I'm not sure if you can comment on specifics like this, but I figured it was worth a try.

Got 2, 2 (65, 55) in STEP II/III, which makes 3 and 2 marks respectively from the 1. I got A*A*A* in my A-levels and got pooled by my original college. What, roughly, are the chances of being fished? (I am aware this varies from year to year, so I would take a qualitative answer) Does the fact that I noticed the typo in STEP III Q5 gain me any sort of leverage? I don't want to be strung along the whole day with no real chance of getting in.

Edit: can I also ask what is taken into account in fishing a maths applicant? Is it purely STEP score and quality of STEP work?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by resultsthrow094
I'm not sure if you can comment on specifics like this, but I figured it was worth a try.

Got 2, 2 (65, 55) in STEP II/III, which makes 3 and 2 marks respectively from the 1. I got A*A*A* in my A-levels and got pooled by my original college. What, roughly, are the chances of being fished? (I am aware this varies from year to year, so I would take a qualitative answer) Does the fact that I noticed the typo in STEP III Q5 gain me any sort of leverage? I don't want to be strung along the whole day with no real chance of getting in.

Edit: can I also ask what is taken into account in fishing a maths applicant? Is it purely STEP score and quality of STEP work?

You wouldn't be in the Summer Pool unless somebody thought there was a reasonable chance of you being taken. For maths, your STEP script will be quite important, but A level results, interview scores and other information in the file is also considered.

Latest

Trending

Trending