The Student Room Group

If I withdraw my UCAS application now, when will I be able to re-apply?

Okay, I messed up. Big time. I'll throw my hands in the air and easily admit that. I've given myself enough grief about it over these past three days, so if you could spare me then I'd appreciate it.

I feel context is important, however. Allow me to explain. I managed to get BCC on my results which, honestly, I'm not too fussed over. I know that to others those grades sound abhorrent, but considering I experienced intermittent suicidal ideation throughout the course of my A-Levels, I like to think I've done pretty good for myself. They're not awful, let's put it that way.

However, when it came to results, I immediately freaked out. I already knew prior that I wasn't ready for university, despite trying to push, and push, and push myself into it. But deep down there was this intuitive feeling that I just, well, couldn't. Not yet anyways. This realisation came after having applied through clearing. I applied through clearing as one of my courses was journalism, which I no longer wanted to study (the university wouldn't allow me to change the course due to predicted grades), and the other was in Brighton. Don't get me wrong, the idea of studying in Brighton, regardless of whether people perceive it as a good university or not, was brilliant. It was also expensive too. I know there's the maintenance loan, but something scared me. Two sisters prior to me were forced to drop out of university due to financial struggles, and I was terrified that would happen to me. I therefore decided to apply to DMU through clearing, though immediately regretted it as soon as I did. I know this seems reckless and irresponsible, and I completely agree, but quite frankly this was in the height of my panic.

I've made a quick plan for the rest of the year, i.e. volunteer and part-time/full-time work through agency. I'm aware how many people become bored, lonely, depressed, etc, when they don't plan gap years in advance, but I'm going to try my hardest to keep myself preoccupied, etc. I feel this could be good for me, too, as I'll get some good life experience behind me, hopefully.

The thing I'm struggling with is, when do I apply by? Have I left it too late to withdraw my application?

Another concern I have is this: I don't imagine my teachers will be too enthusiastic about writing another reference for me to study psychology. I'm afraid to ask them to write another reference, given that I feel I may have irritated them, etc. Perhaps I'm being silly, or maybe not. But how do I go about this?

I'm aware of how ridiculous this all is. Again, I've beaten myself up a lot over it, but I have to do something productive as opposed to sulking and feeling as though there's nothing I can do. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and have a wonderful night.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Hope it goes well and everything turns out well! I’m not sure about the applying part but your teachers should not mind doing a reference for you!! Best of luck:smile:
You’ve got until January 15 2020 to reapply. Loads of time.

It might be worth looking at moocs on futurelearn to keep your interest in psychology going during your year out. Your teachers won’t mind providing a reference again. If your school does GCSEs then try to pop in on Thursday when staff should be around to talk to someone about reapplying during a gap year and what deadlines you need to meet to give them time to provide your reference:smile:

If you have an offer for 2019 entry you can always ask the university to defer it to 2020 entry. They’ll almost always agree (but if you decide to reapply then you’ll have to get your firm to withdraw you to reapply but that’s not a problem).

Latest

Trending

Trending