The Student Room Group

Government to suspend Parliament

Poll

Should parliament have been suspended?

The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament days after MPs return to work - and a matter of weeks before the Brexit deadline.

The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's future plans - on 14 October.

But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.

A No 10 source said: "It's time a new government and new PM set out a plan for the country after we leave the EU."

The idea of shutting down Parliament - known as prorogation - has caused controversy, with critics saying it would stop MPs being able to play their democratic part in the Brexit process.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

What do you think of this decision? Right move or wrong move?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrDystopia
The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament days after MPs return to work - and a matter of weeks before the Brexit deadline.

The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's future plans - on 14 October.

But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.

A No 10 source said: "It's time a new government and new PM set out a plan for the country after we leave the EU."

The idea of shutting down Parliament - known as prorogation - has caused controversy, with critics saying it would stop MPs being able to play their democratic part in the Brexit process.

To me, it is a right move. However, I understand that it will be unpopular. We need certainty and this situation is ruining the UK.
I can see why he's done it, but imo it's the wrong thing to do. I'm expecting riots in the streets and I plan on joining them.
It’s normal to suspend parliament for a QS, genius move from Cummings.
pretty much a do-or-die move... shame its come to this.
There is a wonderful irony in circumventing our Parliamentary system to get Brexit.

It highlights what bull**** Brexiters were spouting when they mindlessly chanted about returning power to our Parliament.
Very poor move imo, and one that I can't see working out for anyone involved.
Reply 7
Original post by Wired_1800
To me, it is a right move. However, I understand that it will be unpopular. We need certainty and this situation is ruining the UK.

Irony abounds in this move, 'take back sovereign control' by undermining parliament in the worst way possible.
Even more amusing given he keeps preaching about 'bringing the country together', not least of all because this move will set in stone the already almost insurmountable differences in the country.
Makes an absolute mockery of the Brexiteer 'democracy' argument. Absolutely disgusting.
Reply 9
Original post by MrDystopia

Its a good move on the whole (not risk free though) because it forces the remain alliance to make their move on his terms (effectively via a monc rather than legislating - if he loses a monc, thats red meat for Brx Party supporters that he needs).

Much of the critisism if we are honest is an inability to accept they have been outplayed. Its not the governments job to make the job of the opposition easy.

Nulli points out that they may get an opportunity near the end of October to attack Boris though if he survives the monc that will now come next week.
Original post by _Wellies_
There is a wonderful irony in circumventing our Parliamentary system to get Brexit.

It highlights what bull**** Brexiters were spouting when they mindlessly chanted about returning power to our Parliament.

But as long as they get what they want, they won't care that it makes a mockery of democracy.
Original post by Napp
Irony abounds in this move, 'take back sovereign control' by undermining parliament in the worst way possible.
Even more amusing given he keeps preaching about 'bringing the country together', not least of all because this move will set in stone the already almost insurmountable differences in the country.

But Parliament wont approve Brexit. There is no point to entertain the folly anymore. It is not undermining Parliament who have publicly done all it can to derail the will of the people.

He can bring the country together after Brexit.
But Parliament wont approve Brexit. There is no point to entertain the folly anymore. It is not undermining Parliament who have publicly done all it can to derail the will of the people.

Utterly deluded.
Original post by shadowdweller
Very poor move imo, and one that I can't see working out for anyone involved.

You say its a poor move but is this not the fault of the opposition as much as the government.

May put what most Brexiteers considered a very wet deal to parliament and both Lib and Lab rejected it three times (the 3rd vote only needing about 30 abstains on the part of remainers).

If you take the militant hard line that we must have nothing less than a neverendum with remain as an option then is it really a shock that when you back the animal (government) into a corner, it mauls you.

It just seems to me that remainers have been very naive walking around all summer talking about taking power from the government or installing another PM and seemingly thinking that the government wilk just sit back and let remainers beat it up.

In simple terms the remainers in parliament have spent the summer bullying the government saying they will make it their female dog and are today crying when the government has broken their nose for it.

It's worth noting that the people were never asked about the current proposals, nor a no deal Brexit - yes, we voted to leave the EU, but calling any proposal 'the will of the people' seems a stretch to me.
Original post by shadowdweller
It's worth noting that the people were never asked about the current proposals, nor a no deal Brexit - yes, we voted to leave the EU, but calling any proposal 'the will of the people' seems a stretch to me.

That is fair and I agree, but people voted to leave. If we are being stopped from leaving, what happens next? We leave, deal or no deal.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Utterly deluded.

How?
Reply 17
Seems to me the cause of all the problems is our system of "representative parliamentary democracy" whereby MPs vote on what they think is best for their constituents which isn't the same necessarily as what their constituents voted for, that is in fact unrepresentative and therefore undemocratic.
How?

How is he going to bring the country back together? Please explain? I know for a fact that once this all goes tits up, as a fault of everyone in this country that voted for this disaster, I will not be a happy chappy. Explain to me how this is going to work.
Original post by imlikeahermit
How is he going to bring the country back together? Please explain? I know for a fact that once this all goes tits up, as a fault of everyone in this country that voted for this disaster, I will not be a happy chappy. Explain to me how this is going to work.

Because, people will calm down when the reality of the situation dawns on them. No sane person would be angry forever. Time heals all wounds.

My view is that people would rightly be angry. Yes, there may be protests, even some violent ones, but it wont descend to anarchy or civil war, as some people have suggested. After a while, the country would slowly start coming together. There would be an election, where people can relief their angry.

Mr Boris Johnson, if he is still PM, will probably be forced to do a national tour and appease people. Probably low taxes and more money for public services.

Quick Reply