The Student Room Group

Reapplying as a 'New Student'

So I did a year of Mathematics at MMU and I just didn't settle very well and so I am currently taking a gap year and have gotten a place at LJMU starting in the 2023/24 year.

I applied for my year at MMU with no issues but when I applied for my LJMU first year loan it got cancelled. I rang them up and asked them why it had been cancelled and they said because I suspended my studies at MMU then took a gap year, they consider me a new student and my LJMU application was a return student application. She said they had emailed me (I missed the email but have since found it) because I have to post some forms to start an application as a new student seen as this cancelled application was already in the system (I don't really understand tbh but whatever lol).

When I checked the email, it said I have two options, I'll directly paste what it said below:

-----------------------
You’ve applied as a returning student for academic year 2023/24 but you’ve
changed course and university and had a gap year since you last applied for
student finance. This means we consider you to be a new student in the
2023/24 academic year.

What you need to do
1. Paper PN1 required
You need to apply again as a new student. Please complete and return the
attached 'Application for student finance for new students form (PN1)'. We
won't be able to make any more payments until we receive this.

Or

2. Student can apply online
You need to apply again as a new student as we've cancelled the application
you made as a returning student.
-----------------------

They provided the PN1 but I would prefer to apply online and I'm just wondering does apply as a new student mean I have to create another account because I cant find any options to apply as a new student on my current account.

I understand if I end up having to do it by post I would just prefer online as I sorta get stressed by post lol.

Thanks for reading!
Original post by littlejae
So I did a year of Mathematics at MMU and I just didn't settle very well and so I am currently taking a gap year and have gotten a place at LJMU starting in the 2023/24 year.

I applied for my year at MMU with no issues but when I applied for my LJMU first year loan it got cancelled. I rang them up and asked them why it had been cancelled and they said because I suspended my studies at MMU then took a gap year, they consider me a new student and my LJMU application was a return student application. She said they had emailed me (I missed the email but have since found it) because I have to post some forms to start an application as a new student seen as this cancelled application was already in the system (I don't really understand tbh but whatever lol).

When I checked the email, it said I have two options, I'll directly paste what it said below:

-----------------------
You’ve applied as a returning student for academic year 2023/24 but you’ve
changed course and university and had a gap year since you last applied for
student finance. This means we consider you to be a new student in the
2023/24 academic year.

What you need to do
1. Paper PN1 required
You need to apply again as a new student. Please complete and return the
attached 'Application for student finance for new students form (PN1)'. We
won't be able to make any more payments until we receive this.

Or

2. Student can apply online
You need to apply again as a new student as we've cancelled the application
you made as a returning student.
-----------------------

They provided the PN1 but I would prefer to apply online and I'm just wondering does apply as a new student mean I have to create another account because I cant find any options to apply as a new student on my current account.

I understand if I end up having to do it by post I would just prefer online as I sorta get stressed by post lol.

Thanks for reading!

Hi there, students are only able to have 1 account on the system for the duration of their study and repayment life. Is your previous application showing as suspended or is this now showing as withdrawn from your previous university? Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, students are only able to have 1 account on the system for the duration of their study and repayment life. Is your previous application showing as suspended or is this now showing as withdrawn from your previous university? Thanks, Karen

My MMU application shows 'suspended' and my LJMU application shows cancelled
My MMU application shows 'suspended' and my LJMU application shows cancelled

If you are not returning back to MMU they would need to send us a withdrawal to advise us that you aren't returning to your course. At that point you can apply as a new student. Alternatively you can complete the PN1 application and return this via post whilst this is waiting to be sent for the team to review.

You can find the form here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1137617/sfe_pn1_form_2324_o.pdf

Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Karen
If you are not returning back to MMU they would need to send us a withdrawal to advise us that you aren't returning to your course. At that point you can apply as a new student. Alternatively you can complete the PN1 application and return this via post whilst this is waiting to be sent for the team to review.

You can find the form here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1137617/sfe_pn1_form_2324_o.pdf

Thanks, Karen

I'm waiting to hear back from MMU but if I don't hear back soon, I'll apply through post. Thank you!
I'm waiting to hear back from MMU but if I don't hear back soon, I'll apply through post. Thank you!

You're welcome - if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending