The Student Room Group

Government to suspend Parliament

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Burton Bridge
What you on about? What do you think I have not done for you?

The thing is we are both leave supporting and will (on brexit) agree on most issues I'd guess, but you have thrown you're toys out the pram because you know you have made a (remainer like) dishonest misleading statement and dont have the maturity to debate it.

Ive said my point 3 times and you have ignored it, you are dishonest. You literally ignored my main point over and over, then I had to dismiss all your misrepresentations and finally once i nailed you down on everything else you actually addressed my main argument. If you want to hear my reseponse go back.
Original post by josh75
Ive said my point 3 times and you have ignored it, you are dishonest. You literally ignored my main point over and over, then I had to dismiss all your misrepresentations and finally once i nailed you down on everything else you actually addressed my main argument. If you want to hear my reseponse go back.

So you still have not answered :rolleyes:
Original post by mjhmichael18
I think there is going to be a very short extension of a few days or weeks. I don’t think a General Election is coming soon as a lot of MPs don’t want a General Election.

Emily Thornberry suggested having a long time to review the details. She wanted about 3 months. Will MPs be able to debate and scrutinise the deal for a few days? I hope everything can be done by October 31.
So you still have not answered :rolleyes:

I have go back and find it. But you wont because your dishonest and dont want to admit your wrong and instead you will just say some bs to me in reply.
Original post by josh75
I have go back and find it. But you wont because your dishonest and dont want to admit your wrong and instead you will just say some bs to me in reply.

You have said nothing and know you haven't.
Original post by Wired_1800
Emily Thornberry suggested having a long time to review the details. She wanted about 3 months. Will MPs be able to debate and scrutinise the deal for a few days? I hope everything can be done by October 31.

The government offered labour until the 6th November to scrutinise the bill 24 hours a day and they turned it down.

A motion for a general election has been announced for Monday and word back from the EU is due tomorrow on the extension.
Original post by paul514
The government offered labour until the 6th November to scrutinise the bill 24 hours a day and they turned it down.

A motion for a general election has been announced for Monday and word back from the EU is due tomorrow on the extension.

I heard that the EU are not keen to offer a long extension because Johnson winning a large majority could pose difficulties for them. He could ram through any bill and become a pain for the EU.
Original post by Wired_1800
I heard that the EU are not keen to offer a long extension because Johnson winning a large majority could pose difficulties for them. He could ram through any bill and become a pain for the EU.

The EU is always keen to offer extension to us for obvious reasons they also know an election is inevitable in the UK now or after the withdrawal treaty has passed but before trade talks.

Realistically they just want the bill passed or a second referendum.

That is why a 3 month flexible extension is so popular in the media chat.

He’s 3 months for an election but if you manage to get it passed you can leave whenever.

You will find out in the next half day
Reply 1668
They are turkeys trying to avoid Christmas,

So you see trying to avoid a damaging outcome as a bad thing? lol!

There only hope is to avoid any democracy involving the electorate and sabotage brexit before 2022.

You mean like refusing to have a democratic vote on whether we should accept BoJob's deal?

A general election would not necessarily sort Brexit. The last one didn't. The only way to sort it is to finish scrutiny and amendment of the Deal and then present the finished article to the electorate, along with Remain, in a legally binding referendum with a set timetable. If you are opposed to that, please explain why.
Reply 1669
Original post by paul514

Because BoJob can't be trusted to honour his word. The opposition want an unbreakable guarantee that he won't slip in No Deal or other subversion of the democratic process by some sleight of hand.
Original post by paul514
The EU is always keen to offer extension to us for obvious reasons they also know an election is inevitable in the UK now or after the withdrawal treaty has passed but before trade talks.

Realistically they just want the bill passed or a second referendum.

That is why a 3 month flexible extension is so popular in the media chat.

He’s 3 months for an election but if you manage to get it passed you can leave whenever.

You will find out in the next half day

Interesting, thanks
Original post by QE2
So you see trying to avoid a damaging outcome as a bad thing? lol!.

Least you admit any democracy would be bad for remainers. What tends tends too happen when you go directly against the will of the people.

You mean like refusing to have a democratic vote on whether we should accept BoJob's deal?

A general election would not necessarily sort Brexit. The last one didn't. The only way to sort it is to finish scrutiny and amendment of the Deal and then present the finished article to the electorate, along with Remain, in a legally binding referendum with a set timetable. If you are opposed to that, please explain why.
Reply 1672
Least you admit any democracy would be bad for remainers. What tends tends too happen when you go directly against the will of the people.

Oh dear.
You used the expression "turkeys trying to avoid Christmas".
Apart from not even being an expression, it makes no sense because it means "trying to avoid being killed". Only an idiot would use that concept as a pejorative.

I notice that you were unable to explain why "presenting the finished, accepted by parliament Deal, to the electorate, along with Remain, in a legally binding referendum with a set timetable" is a bad idea. ¡To je ale překvapení!
Original post by QE2
Oh dear.
You used the expression "turkeys trying to avoid Christmas".
Apart from not even being an expression, it makes no sense because it means "trying to avoid being killed". Only an idiot would use that concept as a pejorative.

I notice that you were unable to explain why "presenting the finished, accepted by parliament Deal, to the electorate, along with Remain, in a legally binding referendum with a set timetable" is a bad idea. ¡To je ale překvapení!

No you just failed to understand ... again. The expression was intentional to inply they are trying to avoiding being killed! :facepalm:

The metaphorical "Turkeys" are the mainly renainer MPs and "Christmas" representing the imminent slaughter that will happen when the will of the people (they are trying to block) is voiced.

BTW there is a huge difference between "unable too" and fed up with explaining things to you :wink:
Reply 1674
No you just failed to understand ... again. The expression was intentional to inply they are trying to avoiding being killed! :facepalm:

Yes. But why is that a bad thing? Wouldn't you try to avoid "being killed"? Wouldn't any sane person?
So your argument is "bloody MPs, trying to avoid being killed".
No ****, Sherlock!

The metaphorical "Turkeys" are the mainly renainer MPs and "Christmas" representing the imminent slaughter that will happen when the will of the people (they are trying to block) is voiced.

1. Do you think that MPs usually deliberately support policies that will antagonise their constituents?
2. At least half "the people" do not support Brexit, so I wouldn't be too sure about any "slaughter" of MPs who do not support Brexit. You seem to have fallen for your own propaganda that "half" means "all". :rofl:

BTW there is a huge difference between "unable too" and fed up with explaining things to you :wink:

Not in your case. They are synonymous.

You have yet to "explain" why finalising a deal through parliamentary scrutiny and approval, then putting that to a legally-binging, explicitly timetabled public vote against Remain, is a bad idea. Unless you are still clinging to your "a public vote on something that has not yet been put to a public vote would be undemocratic" fantasy?
Original post by QE2
Yes. But why is that a bad thing? Wouldn't you try to avoid "being killed"? Wouldn't any sane person?
So your argument is "bloody MPs, trying to avoid being killed".
No ****, Sherlock!

1. Do you think that MPs usually deliberately support policies that will antagonise their constituents?
2. At least half "the people" do not support Brexit, so I wouldn't be too sure about any "slaughter" of MPs who do not support Brexit. You seem to have fallen for your own propaganda that "half" means "all". :rofl:

Not in your case. They are synonymous.

You have yet to "explain" why finalising a deal through parliamentary scrutiny and approval, then putting that to a legally-binging, explicitly timetabled public vote against Remain, is a bad idea. Unless you are still clinging to your "a public vote on something that has not yet been put to a public vote would be undemocratic" fantasy?

Yes all lovely dribble, however if you (or they) actually believed they were acting in the interest of democracy and the people, you/they would want an election to romp home and destroy the Tories and end brexit, but they are not. Which brings me back to my original point you completely misunderstood (or interpreted). Any democracy for remain is a bad news, which was agreeing with you're poorly written point.

The undemocratic remainer turkeys can avoid an election for now but not forever.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1676
if you (or they) actually believed they were acting in the interest of the people, you/they would want an election to romp home and destroy the Tories and end brexit, but they are not.

How many times do you have to be told. "Popular public opinion" is not necessarily the same as "what's best for the country". I have already given you the example of the death penalty.

Which brings me back to my original point you completely misunderstood (or interpreted). Any democracy for remain is a bad news, which was agreeing with you're poorly written point.

No idea what you are trying to say there. Meaningless word salad.

The undemocratic remainer turkeys can avoid an election for now but not forever.

So how are you using the turkey analogy here? Or are you simply calling some MPs "turkeys"?

BTW, you need to learn how the UK's parliamentary democracy works. It is not "undemocratic" for MPs to vote against the government. In fact, it is a fundamental element of our democratic process.
You need to resoles that "democracy" isn't another word for "getting what I want".
Original post by QE2
How many times do you have to be told. "Popular public opinion" is not necessarily the same as "what's best for the country". I have already given you the example of the death penalty.

No idea what you are trying to say there. Meaningless word salad.

So how are you using the turkey analogy here? Or are you simply calling some MPs "turkeys"?

BTW, you need to learn how the UK's parliamentary democracy works. It is not "undemocratic" for MPs to vote against the government. In fact, it is a fundamental element of our democratic process.
You need to resoles that "democracy" isn't another word for "getting what I want".

:nah: Look dont you worry or stress you're head about it, others will understand what I mean, you are not just in danger of getting the wrong end of the stick, you are in danger of picking the wrong stick up :rofl:

You agree with me that democracy is bad news for remainers, they will lose because they are going against "popular public opinion" as you word it, or "the will of the people" as most people call it :u:.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1678
You agree with me that democracy is bad news for remainers, they will lose because they are going against "popular public opinion" as you word it, or "the will of the people" as most people call it :u:.

Look, I know it is difficult for you, but please try.
In a referendum between BoJob's Deal and Remain, Remain would win (which is why Leavers are so **** scared of having such a democratic vote to determine the Will of the People).
In a general election, Remainers would neither win nor lose because a general election is not a single issue poll, as we have already determined. A vote for either Labour or Tory is not necessarily a vote for any particular Brexit position.
After a general election, a government would still have to be formed and it would then have to formulate and propose legislation on Brexit. Parliament would then get to vote on it. The only advantage in a huge Tory majority would be the ability to force through a No Deal Brexit against the Will of the People. Is that really what you want?
Original post by QE2
Look, I know it is difficult for you, but please try.
In a referendum between BoJob's Deal and Remain, Remain would win (which is why Leavers are so **** scared of having such a democratic vote to determine the Will of the People).
In a general election, Remainers would neither win nor lose because a general election is not a single issue poll, as we have already determined. A vote for either Labour or Tory is not necessarily a vote for any particular Brexit position.
After a general election, a government would still have to be formed and it would then have to formulate and propose legislation on Brexit. Parliament would then get to vote on it. The only advantage in a huge Tory majority would be the ability to force through a No Deal Brexit against the Will of the People. Is that really what you want?

Is that why Ms Miller is trying to organise a website for remainers so they can be told who to vote for, now to me that means that either Ms Miller and co. think remainers are too thick to work out who to vote for by themselves or this is a massive case of gerrymandering due to the fact that they are scared that, if the conservatives were to stand on a manifesto stating we will leave by a certain date deal or not, they would return with a majority government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending