The Student Room Group

Anyone starting/started uni at 19?

Hi,
I am a year behind in school (I should be starting year 13 in a week but am going into year 12) and have been wondering what it's like to start uni at 19, turning 20 almost 3 months after starting.
I know I'm thinking a bit ahead, but I already feel older and more mature than those in my year. I'd really appreciate it if you could share any personal experiences of how it was for you.
Do you think it was any different to if you had been 18? If so, in what way(s)?
Thanks a lot

Scroll to see replies

Are you really worried about an age gap that is potentially under a year? The idea you are substantially more mature than someone who is at most a year and a bit younger is ridiculous really, you'll be fine.
Age doesn't make a difference I'm 21 and starting uni this year, their will be alot of people older than that
I'm 20 and will be starting uni this September, don't worry about it
Reply 4
Original post by ElNiñoo
I'm 20 and will be starting uni this September, don't worry about it

Do you feel different from the 18 year olds or do you just not worry?
I started at 19 and no it's not any different. It basically puts you where gap year students start and surprisingly alot of people are 19 too cause of retakes
Original post by Anonymous
Do you feel different from the 18 year olds or do you just not worry?

Well I'm not necessarily at university yet to tell the difference but no. Maybe I am abit more mature than I was at 18 myself but other than that there is not really a difference I suppose
Reply 7
Original post by ElNiñoo
Well I'm not necessarily at university yet to tell the difference but no. Maybe I am abit more mature than I was at 18 myself but other than that there is not really a difference I suppose

Thanks. I think it's just good to know others are in the same boat :smile:
Reply 8
Hey
I am 29, turning 30 and about to start uni
Thanks. I think it's just good to know others are in the same boat :smile:

You will only be 20 a few months in when others will be turning 19, there is barely a age gap. Don't worry about it.
Heading into uni next month after my gap year at 19. It won't be an issue! There'll be people older but not only that, those a year below us at 18 won't even care/notice or even remember once the initial introductions are over. Plus a little bit of extra maturity/life experience never hurt anyone!
I started uni at 19 and it made zero difference
I'll be 22 starting Uni (Feels kind of odd that this is the age people are usually finishing Uni aha ) I was at college before and people were all sorts of ages and it doesn't feel too different? Maybe more diverse with various maturity/experience levels but that just makes it more interesting to get to know people
Reply 13
what a levels are you doing? and which subjects are you retaking - if you don't mind me asking (:
Original post by TX27
what a levels are you doing? and which subjects are you retaking - if you don't mind me asking (:

Hi, of course I don't mind. I'm doing chemistry, maths, English lit and biology. I'm not retaking- I'm not from the uk so had to take a year out to take my GCSEs.
Reply 15
Hi, of course I don't mind. I'm doing chemistry, maths, English lit and biology. I'm not retaking- I'm not from the uk so had to take a year out to take my GCSEs.

oh ok I understand now
Started uni at 19, graduated this summer. Literally never crossed my mind in the four years I was at uni. Even had a 27 year old in my circle and he felt like 'one of us'. Don't worry about it.
Started uni at 19, graduated this summer. Literally never crossed my mind in the four years I was at uni. Even had a 27 year old in my circle and he felt like 'one of us'. Don't worry about it.

thanks a lot :smile:
It literally makes no difference at all.
I am 19 and starting this september, dont worry about, no one really cares! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending