The Student Room Group

I got all 9s at GCSE - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pokelove
Hey, congrats on the great results

Could you tell me how you revised the exam technique for Biology Gcse cause I keep struggling with that.

Thanks

I'm not the original poster, however i did get a grade 9 in biology and exam technique was something i struggled with. if i could go back i would look at all of my past papers and see where i failed due to the way i answered, look at what the mark scheme wants, then two days later, answer the questions you poorly answered before and then mark them to see if it improved, you will slowly get used to answering in a way the examiner wants, however this will take alot of time and hard work as it's something that must become habit, you can't just practice this once.
Original post by BioChemLad
I'm not the original poster, however i did get a grade 9 in biology and exam technique was something i struggled with. if i could go back i would look at all of my past papers and see where i failed due to the way i answered, look at what the mark scheme wants, then two days later, answer the questions you poorly answered before and then mark them to see if it improved, you will slowly get used to answering in a way the examiner wants, however this will take alot of time and hard work as it's something that must become habit, you can't just practice this once.

Wouldn’t this just end up you memorizing the markscheme instead of actually improving your answers?
Original post by Pang13
Hi guys! This is definitely not meant to be a brag post, I’m just bored and want to help by answering any questions you guys might have. So ask away :smile:

how many hours roughly did you do in one day? you did amazing btw!
Did you make notes for everything on the sciences and the history?
How did you revise for English and English Lit?
I'm in year 11 and starting add maths.. any tips for that?
Original post by Sanaa01
Wouldn’t this just end up you memorizing the markscheme instead of actually improving your answers?

no because you see where you went wrong by comparing your answers to the mark scheme
Reply 105
Original post by Sanaa01

No, you'll end up understanding how the exam board want questions to be answered.
Reply 106
Original post by skittlessh
how many hours roughly did you do in one day? you did amazing btw!

They said a few hours after school every day, then 4-5 hours on the weekend. From my experience, that's just a great way to burn out if done over a long period of time. If you're a year 11 now, you shouldn't be doing more than 10/hours a week really. I wasn't doing any revision this time in year 11, I started in like Easter lol (I got 8 9s, 1 8 and an A*, so not too far off OP)
@Pang13 bro how shall I revise English Lit and language what websites do you recommend
Original post by hoixw
They said a few hours after school every day, then 4-5 hours on the weekend. From my experience, that's just a great way to burn out if done over a long period of time. If you're a year 11 now, you shouldn't be doing more than 10/hours a week really. I wasn't doing any revision this time in year 11, I started in like Easter lol (I got 8 9s, 1 8 and an A*, so not too far off OP)

what about making revision materials right now but not necessarily learning the content off them??
Reply 109
Hi everyone! As expected, I’ve been less able to respond now I’ve started sixth form and work, but I recently received a load of messages asking me to post my example answers for some subjects. I’ve already posted my English language ones, so now I’ll start off with history, but will also post some essay plans for lit and re.

EDEXCEL EXAMPLE ANSWERS :smile:

Explain why there was rapid change in the treatment of illness in Britain during the twentieth century.
You may use the following points in your answer to help you:

Magic bullets

High-tech treatment

You must also use information of your own.

One reason why there was rapid change in the treatment of illness in Britain was becuase of the improvement in surgery. Previously, surgery was substantially more dangerous because surgeons had to cut into the body. Although discoveries such as carbolic acid was able to stop infection, blood loss was still a massive problem as a resul tof the inprecise surgery. However, this changed when keyhole surgery was introduced, as it provided a way for surgeons just to cut into specific parts of the body. This meant that the operation was less invasive, adding to the security and safeness of surgery.

Treatment was also improved as a result of the work of individuals. This was the case in 1911, when Ehrlic discovered Salvarsan 606, which was able to destroy specific strep microbes. This discovery would be added to by Domagk, who discovered Protonsil. These so called 'magic bullets' were essential in changing the way people were treated because it meant that there were specific treatments for specific diseases and illnesses, instead of the previous broader treatments. This meant that more lives were saved as a result of the more targeted treatments.

One of the most important factors to change was the increased communication and teamwork as a result of globalisation. 18 different countries were able to work together in the late 1900's in the Human Genome Project, which mapped out human DNA by 2003. This was crucial in advancing the treatment of illness as it led to an increased knowledge in genetic conditions, such as cystic fibrosis, which mean tthat doctors were able to work on gene therapy, which contributed to the rapid change in treatment in the twentieth century and beyond.

Explain why there was continuity in ideas about the cause of disease during the period c1250-1500.

Role of Galen

The Church

One reason why there was continuity in ideas about the cause of disease was the unchanging attitudes of people. Many people had great respect for former scientists and philosophers. For instance, Hippocrates was a Greek scientist who created the Four Humours, and Roman scientist Galen supported the idea. These scientists were widely respected throughout the thirteenth century, and as a result, many refused to think for themselves or challenge their ideas. It wouldn’t be until the Enlightenment when people started to oppose the work of Galen and Hippocrates.

The attitudes were strongly interweaved with the communication, or lack thereof. Although the Printing Press was invented in 1450, it wouldn’t be commercially used until the mid 1500’s. This meant that many authors, writers, and scientists found it difficult to share and publish their works, as it would take a long time to rewrite copies of their books. Moreover, it didn’t help that 50% of the population was illiterate, which made spreading ideas difficult. The Church heavily controlled the publication of written works, as it was mostly only monks who could write. This resulted in a lack of ideas being spread, since the Church was a supporter of the works of Galen.

The Church were also influential in the education of many people. As stated, the Church were in favour of the ideas of Galen and Hippocrates, because they aligned with their religious view that God caused suffering as a result of sin. This hindered change from 1250-1500 because the Church had strong control over the education of surgeons. They had to go to university for 7 years reading the works of Galen and Hippocrates. This meant that even the trained professionals believed in the Four Humours, which meant that there was mostly continuity in the Medieval Period.

Overall, it’s these three factors working together that have contributed to the lack of change from c1250 - c1500.
Reply 110
AQA RE 12 MARK EXAMPLES :smile:

Predestination means that Muslims have no free will to make their own choices
I would argue against the statement, as I believe that Muslims still have free will. Many Shi’a Muslims would support this, as they believe that God knows everything that is going to happen, but he doesn’t decide what people do. This has been interpreted from the Qur’an, as it says that God “doesn’t change the condition of a people.” This suggests that Allah has still given humans free will, but still knows what people are going to do through his omniscience.

On the other hand, some people would argue that this isn’t logically possible. This is because it could be argued that God can’t know people’s future actions without taking away their free will. Sunni Muslims would support this claim, as they believe that God has already determined everything that will happen in the universe, so humans don’t have free will to change it. This is because God has written everyone’s actions in a “Book of Decrees” and, because God created humans, they must act according to his will. Sunni Muslims support this view as it is stated that “Only what God has decreed will happen to us”, suggesting that Allah has determined everything that will happen.

Despite this, I would still argue that Muslims have free will, because it must be acknowledged that Allah is still transcendent, so he is outside of space and isn’t bound to the human perception of time. A temporal God would be able to see the actions of the past, the present, and the future all in a one-dimensional plane, which would still allow Muslims to decide on their actions while still being known by God.

As a result, it is easy to come to the natural conclusion that humans still have free will, because it is not possible for humans to judge his transcendence as it is something that humans are unable to comprehend.

Muhammad has had more impact on Muslims’ lives than any other prophet
I agree with the statement, and many Muslims would support me in saying that Muhammad has had more impact on Muslims’ lives than any other prophet. One reason for this is because Muhammed was the prophet that Jibril revealed the Qur’an to. This is significant because the Qur’an lays the foundation of the beliefs for Muslims, and without Muhammed, Allah’s message wouldn’t be able to be interpreted for humanity. Furthermore, Muhammed is important for Muslims because he acts as a key role model for them. For example, he has acted as a symbol of oppression after conquering Makkah (as stated in the Qur’an), which gives Muslims confidence and hope themselves when they are being persecuted, which is especially important in contemporary society for Muslims.

By contrast, some Muslims might argue that other prophets are more important than Muhammed. For instance, some people would say that Ibrahim has had more influence for Muslims as he is a better role model. Ibrahim refused to worship idols and instead preached that there is only one God, which is important because he paved the way for Islam to be a strictly monotheistic religion, and emphasised the significance of Tawhid. Furthermore, Prophet Adam could be more influential in Muslims’ lives, because he built the Ka’aba. This is crucial for Muslims, as it is a key religious symbol for Islam, and they are able to worship God through Hajj, where they circle the Ka’aba.

In spite of this, I still think that Muhammed is more important because he is described as being the “seal” of prophets in the Qur’an. This means that he is the last prophet to come down on Earth, which is important because it means that his teachings from God are final. This is clearly important because the Qur’an is believed to be the only unaltered historical account, and many beliefs stem from the words of Muhammed.

In conclusion, I think that Muhammed has has the most impact on Muslims’ lives because he is the perfect role model for Muslims, and Muhammed is the prophet that was given the revelation by Jibril. This has ultimately made the most impact on Muslims because most of their beliefs stem from the Qur’an.
Reply 111
ENGLISH LIT: LOVE & RELATIONSHIPS INTROS (TO FORM THE BASIS OF YOUR ESSAYS)
NOTE: Some of these ideas are quite abstract, but they made sense when I was planning for them and when I was writing them in the exams.

Compare how poets present romantic love in ‘Porphyria’s Lover’ and one other poem
Intro: Both Porphyria’s Lover and Farmers Bride present lovers who are deeply obsessive and controlling over their wives, who are both under the possessive control of their lover. However, in Farmer’s Bride, Mew creates the underlying feeling that the speaker isn’t fulfilled by the hollow, artificial love he has forced on his wife, while the speaker in Porphyria’s Lover is disturbingly fulfilled and completed by the sadistic murder of his lover.

Compare how poets present parental love in ‘Walking Away’ and one other poem
Intro: In both ‘Walking Away’ and ‘Mother Any Distance’, the poets explore the difficulties for a parent to separate from their son. The obvious difference is that they are written from differing perspectives: Walking Away is written from the perspective of the parent while Mother Any Distance is written from the son’s viewpoint. However, on deeper analysis, it could be argued that Lewis ends his poem with acceptance, while Armitage ends his poem with an underlying feeling of doubt and insecurity.

Compare how poets present distance in ‘Letters from Yorkshire’ and one other poem
Both ‘Letters from Yorkshire’ and ‘Eden Rock’ present people who are painfully separated from people they admire and care about. They both exemplify the distance through the positive perspectives they hold towards their loved ones. However, by the end of Eden Rock, it can perhaps be argued that the distance between them is growing as the memory fades, while in Letters from Yorkshire, the very thought of the Speaker’s friend strengthens the relationship and shortens, maybe evens closes, the distance between them.

Compare how poets present attitudes towards an older figure in ‘Climbing My Grandfather’ and other poem

Intro: Both poems are about loving relationships between a child and an older figure with a sense of admiration, however in Climbing My Grandfather, there is a sense of closer unity by the end of poem, but in Follower, Heaney presents a child who becomes more distant by the end of the poem.
hi .I have almost the exact same subjects as u, so for revision did u have a timetable and if u did can u tell me what it was and if not then how did u spread your time out for revision. thanks😀😀
omg these are so good ugh its a shame you didnt do power and conflict that wouldve helped me a lot but keep up the good work!!
Hi, I'm a year 11 student and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to revise. On a different note, people usually perceive me as a clever person, and in reality I do excel in certain subjects such as maths. But with almost everything else I struggle immensely. My AP1 (or first assessment points) are coming up in three weeks and I honestly do not know what to do. Please enlighten me on how I can motivate myself, revise better or even complete homework more efficiently.

Yours faithfully,

Kit.
Original post by Kit Nasmyth
Hi, I'm a year 11 student and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to revise. On a different note, people usually perceive me as a clever person, and in reality I do excel in certain subjects such as maths. But with almost everything else I struggle immensely. My AP1 (or first assessment points) are coming up in three weeks and I honestly do not know what to do. Please enlighten me on how I can motivate myself, revise better or even complete homework more efficiently.

Yours faithfully,

Kit.

Hi kit! Nice name btw, revision is more effective when you set yourself small goals to complete, don’t set yourself one big goal but much more smaller goals and I can guarantee you’ll do better when revising
Original post by Pang13
Hi guys! This is definitely not meant to be a brag post, I’m just bored and want to help by answering any questions you guys might have. So ask away :smile:

How did you revise for History
Original post by Pang13

Congratulations. I'd like to achieve highly too but have absolutely no idea how to study or where to start. I have the syllabuses and a few books ... but I don't know how to study effectively. Thanks.
hey, i got all 9s back in 2018 so i'll stick around in this thread to answer some questions too :smile:
how do you become motivated to get a 9 for subjects you aren't doing at A level / don't need ? feels like a lot of effort when a 6 wouldn't be looked upon too differently to a 9 in those circumstances

Quick Reply

Latest