The Student Room Group

Clucking up some A*s! (hopefully)

Scroll to see replies

bahaha i knEW as soon as i saw yiren's side fringe
but she does look so so good with her hair up its unbelievable

and £45 for a stamp? what do they want you to do,, fund the nhs?
Original post by FlawlessChicken
09/02/20

I was wondering whether to update after I finish my last test on Tuesday or to just do one today, but I doubt much is going to happen between now and then so woohoo let's go.

I've finished up basically all my mocks apart from Bio paper 2. So far I'd say I'm quite confident on how it'll all turn out. Hmm maybe I'll a quick summary of each test...

Biology
Paper 1: Apparently most the questions were from the 2019 paper. Mostly just application and hardly any year 2 content. There were stupid amounts of practical questions and those weird questions on how to improve the method/reliability of this experiment, which I hate!

Paper 2: We'll see on Tuesday :s-smilie:

Chemistry
Paper 1 (inorganic): More straight-forward than I thought tbh. I feel like a few of the multiple choice in the beginning were weird but apart from that the questions were just like the ones we did in class. There were no buffers tho .. so I couldn't even show off my Henderson-Hasselbach equation. The year 1 content was fine. Luckily it WAS all in my brain so that's a good sign!

Paper 2 (organic): There were hardly any organic synthesis questions, so all those reaction conditions I memorised were all for nothing. They asked some application questions to do with CFC radical formation and the ozone layer, which took me quite long to get ... and even now I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere. I also missed a 1 mark question on a chromatography calculation. We had to find the Rf value for this amino acid but this little chicken obviously forgot to bring their ruler! I guessed 0.4 but apparently the answer was 0.34 so it wasn't massively off. There was a nice proton NMR question which took ages but fun to do! :h:

Further maths
Most people found Pure easier than Applied but for me it was the other way round.

Paper 1 (pure): First test I did so I can't remember too much. The first question was a proof by induction question with recurrence relations, which I totally messed up. I did all the steps but couldn't do the final proof with the k+1. I never did a question like that before so I definitely need to do a little more practice on it. There was this other question to do with solving simultaneous equations using 3x3 matrices. I never realised that I could've just found the inverse on my calculator so I spent sooo long doing it by hand. Grr I was rushed for time on this paper too so it's just annoying. :redface: There were more questions to do with roots of polynomials and De Moivre's which I spent soo long revising so did fairly quickly. A few of the other questions were 'show that's but I wasn't able to get it in the right form, so hopefully I get method marks!

Paper 2 (mechanics): It was defo harder than stats. They gave us a pulley question which was horrible. It was to do with this ball in some resistive fluid and omg it just confused me a whole load. The worst bit was when the string breaks at which point I kinda gave up and made up a few random equations to do with GPE and KE. There was a 10 marker which I did in 5 minutes which actually saved soo much time. It was a question which stated that after the collision between a particle moving at speed u and a copy of the particle at rest, only 48%/58% (I'm not sure which it was) of the intial KE was kept. Work out the value of e. I was super happy when I got an exact answer of 0.4! The last mechanics question was to do with springs and everything was general.

Paper 2 (stats): Fairly normal questions. Chi-squared tests with contingency tables and a few simple ones. Some distribution questions with poisson, negative binomial and geometric. There was a question to do with a clown and how well he improved at throwing darts and the hypothesis test came back as he didn't improve.... idk I just found it quite funny. There was a question on PGFs and another one on the central limit theorem. Yh so stats was prolly the easiest of all the maths, which isn't that much of a surprise! I'm just glad that maths is over... :wink:

We've had study leave for the past week so we haven't had any lessons. Next week is also free even though I only have 1 exam on Tuesday. So after that I have around 2 weeks until school starts again. With my plan I decided that as soon as I do bio I'm going to start on my EPQ. I really need to motivate myself and I feel like this timetable thing really helped me. So on tuesday I'll make a smol action plan thing where I write down exactly what I need to finish doing on what day.

Yesterday was a cheat day for my revision stuff. I went out with my cousins to pizza hut which was quite nice. I felt like I was going to lay like 15 eggs afterwards tho. Pizza fills you up sooo quickly it's unreal. I watched a few more eps of Naruto too. I'm at the bit where Naruto summons the big ass toad. Hhhhh I love Jiraiya sooo much :biggrin: (even more so than Kakashi) he's soo hilarious! I've also been watching quite a few anime movies... but this has been more of a daily thing. After I finish up revision I 'treat' myself to an anime movie, which is a really relaxing way to end the day. Hehe maybe it's time for anime review

Spoiler

Moving on swiftly to song of the week because no one needs to endure my inner-weeb.

Spoiler

Hmmm not much other chicken stuff is going on I suppose. My parents are going off to some conference thing a mosque somewhere so I'll be home alone for a bit and I need to convince myself to do some bio revision. Tbh I did a lot of work for paper 1 so this is more of a recap, but nevertheless must be done. I'm not sure how I would've revised for paper 1 even if I knew the questions just because practical questions are stupid, so I'll probably decide on my approach to that today.

I also had my UCL interview which I forgot to talk about. I felt like it went bad-ish. :frown: The questions they asked were quite simple, so I mentioned good points but I'm not sure if I delivered it well. I have this annoying thing where when I realise I'm waffling I do it a whole lot worse and I felt like that's what happened. But meh at this point I'm just praying I get an offer but also don't really care as well!
Cambridge sent me this health assessment thing which I need to go to the GP to fill out. Apparently it costs £45 for a hospital stamp which is sooooo dumb because it requires no effort what so ever it's quite a lot of money.... like wtf do you need that for? :angry:
I'm also apparently going to go Sri Lanka this year after sooooo long! :h: I kinda can't wait but it'll be after exams obviously so there's a lot to worry about before that. I get to meet my grandpa after sooo long so it's going to be soo funny when I have to speak to him because I totally forgot how to speak Tamil. Alas we can learn.

Ici est ma tagliste! Tell me if you wanna get added or removed

Spoiler

So that's about it for this week. I'll let you guys know how I get on with my EPQ and the last bio test next week. Wishing you guys the best for next week! :heart: Good luck! :pika:

It's great to hear positive things about the mocks! 'your name' is suchhh a good anime i loved it!! can't believe you got two weeks study leave! i didn't even get a day haha!
£45 for a stamp?!! rip off!! lol :tongue:
Good luck for Biology paper 2!
(song of the week is pretty good but i spent a huge portion of this week listening to western pop- you should defo check out Run by Joji and Beautiful Faces by Declan Mckenna, so so so good!!)
ANYWAYYYS, have a good week!!!! <3
Original post by aishaa_26
It's great to hear positive things about the mocks! 'your name' is suchhh a good anime i loved it!! can't believe you got two weeks study leave! i didn't even get a day haha!
(song of the week is pretty good but i spent a huge portion of this week listening to western pop- you should defo check out Run by Joji and Beautiful Faces by Declan Mckenna, so so so good!!)

I saw Declan live yesterday and it was incredible even if we were at the back :lol:

Well it's more like 1 week study leave but with a week holiday on the end. Still more than yours tho ,,, F how tf did you even survive without study leave?
Bio paper 2 was fine too! so it's all good good,but for most questions I felt like I wasn't giving enough points. For 3 markers I'd always get two solid points and the last one was just a meh. Well we'll see when we get it back!
Yeah it's kinda sad but kpop has been quite dry lately... even song of the week wasn't as big as a bop as I wanted it to be. I'll check them out ... coz my spotify playlist has defo got a little boring.
Have a great week too! <3
Original post by imogen28
I saw Declan live yesterday and it was incredible even if we were at the back :lol:

omg lucky!! hope you had fun!! :h:
Well it's more like 1 week study leave but with a week holiday on the end. Still more than yours tho ,,, F how tf did you even survive without study leave?
Bio paper 2 was fine too! so it's all good good,but for most questions I felt like I wasn't giving enough points. For 3 markers I'd always get two solid points and the last one was just a meh. Well we'll see when we get it back!
Yeah it's kinda sad but kpop has been quite dry lately... even song of the week wasn't as big as a bop as I wanted it to be. I'll check them out ... coz my spotify playlist has defo got a little boring.
Have a great week too! <3

It was rough haha but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Hopefully it goes well and you get the grades you're looking for!! :h:
kpop has been a bit dry lol, but im crazy whipped for kard and moonbyul so now that they've released songs, it's keeping me going haha.
it's half term now so that means a lot of studying! good luck!! <3
Still haven’t started
20/02/20

Hehe just 2s and 0s ... kinda cool. N e ways Imma keep this short because I don't have much time. I just didn't want to keep you guys in the dark and considering that almost 2 weeks has past since I made my last update ... yh I thought today was a good day to just talk about what I've been getting up to.

The whole reason why this post ain't going to be long is because I have to finish off this god damn EPQ. I don't regret doing it this late .. but the internal deadline in my head is for this holiday and I'm seriously nowhere close to finishing it off by that time. Call it bad time management or being lazy ... it's probably both those things but I just feel kinda sick of it. This passed week has been nothing but just typing out random useless stuff about why I decided to choose xyz to do and then talking about my aims and objectives ... just blurgh ... eww I hate it. My fingers are actively losing blood flow for the past week and it's just not looking good.

The whole project is due on the 16th of March so hopefully I should finish it by then.... it's just so much of a hassle + I have an interview coming up so it's all just getting out of hand. Sksksk let song of the week be Hug by seventeen because rn I just feel like I'm not doing anything useful and I'm wasting everyone's time! and I just want a hug from one person but they're soo far away :frown:

Meh I don't even want to reread all of this ... I probably made soo many mistakes and you probably don't have a clue on what I am actually talking about but ... ahh idc and I didn't wanna tag anyone coz no one really needs to read this. I guess its more of a way to stop my stress for a sec ....

Sorry for such a random update but dw I should complete this demon of a project by the end of next week. I just need to do my research and then my actual dissertation. Wish me luck! and to anyone else in the situation ... good luck tooo!
20/02/20

Hehe just 2s and 0s ... kinda cool. N e ways Imma keep this short because I don't have much time. I just didn't want to keep you guys in the dark and considering that almost 2 weeks has past since I made my last update ... yh I thought today was a good day to just talk about what I've been getting up to.

The whole reason why this post ain't going to be long is because I have to finish off this god damn EPQ. I don't regret doing it this late .. but the internal deadline in my head is for this holiday and I'm seriously nowhere close to finishing it off by that time. Call it bad time management or being lazy ... it's probably both those things but I just feel kinda sick of it. This passed week has been nothing but just typing out random useless stuff about why I decided to choose xyz to do and then talking about my aims and objectives ... just blurgh ... eww I hate it. My fingers are actively losing blood flow for the past week and it's just not looking good.

The whole project is due on the 16th of March so hopefully I should finish it by then.... it's just so much of a hassle + I have an interview coming up so it's all just getting out of hand. Sksksk let song of the week be Hug by seventeen because rn I just feel like I'm not doing anything useful and I'm wasting everyone's time! and I just want a hug from one person but they're soo far away :frown:

Meh I don't even want to reread all of this ... I probably made soo many mistakes and you probably don't have a clue on what I am actually talking about but ... ahh idc and I didn't wanna tag anyone coz no one really needs to read this. I guess its more of a way to stop my stress for a sec ....

Sorry for such a random update but dw I should complete this demon of a project by the end of next week. I just need to do my research and then my actual dissertation. Wish me luck! and to anyone else in the situation ... good luck tooo!

i know it's not me but i'll give you a hug :jumphug:
keep working hard, and that EPQ will hopefully come to an end hehe.
don't stress a lot and take a lot of breaks! health comes first!!
good luck for the interview and of course, the monstrous EPQ haha.
<3
i know it's not me but i'll give you a hug :jumphug:
keep working hard, and that EPQ will hopefully come to an end hehe.
don't stress a lot and take a lot of breaks! health comes first!!
good luck for the interview and of course, the monstrous EPQ haha.
<3

Awww thanks so much! It really means a lot ... yesterday was a breakdown and a half ... but I guess my sleep reset me. I feel a little better so I should start my EPQ stuff again. Hopefully I can get up to the bit where I start analysing my research. I was probably just dehydrated or something from doing too much work.
Thanks you again and have fun with whatever you're doing! <3
Aaaaa hope you get the EPQ done soon! Do any of your offers take it into account?
Original post by laurawatt
Aaaaa hope you get the EPQ done soon! Do any of your offers take it into account?

Nope .. well not my cam offer. Still waiting for the UCL offer tho they kinda messed up my references and needed some verification stuff.

I don't regret taking the EPQ but rn I don't know why 'past'-me decided that this was a good idea! Well n it don't matter we still fighting!
Nope .. well not my cam offer. Still waiting for the UCL offer tho they kinda messed up my references and needed some verification stuff.

I don't regret taking the EPQ but rn I don't know why 'past'-me decided that this was a good idea! Well n it don't matter we still fighting!

haha our school makes it compulsory for us to take epq (even if you take 4 a-levels aaa kinda the reason that i dropped chemistry)
best of luck for UCL, it's mid march when they have to get back to you by isn't it? :h:
grr i wish I’d seen this earlier,,,
here have all the hugs!!💕
Original post by laurawatt
haha our school makes it compulsory for us to take epq (even if you take 4 a-levels aaa kinda the reason that i dropped chemistry)
best of luck for UCL, it's mid march when they have to get back to you by isn't it? :h:

whhaaaa compulsory epq .... gross. Idk if you've done yours or not ... but my advice (if I actually have the right to even give advice) would be to not leave everything till the last minute and do it on something you're actually interested about.

Well UCL are meant to give you your outcome 3 weeks after you do your interview. I did mine on the 4th so I should hear back by the 25th ... but with the reference problem it will prolly take longer - we keep waiting I guess.

Original post by mez_merising
grr i wish I’d seen this earlier,,,
here have all the hugs!!💕

I didn't expect anything less from a jumbo dumbo. But yh I've kinda calmed down so je n'ai plus besoin de tes calins .... hmmm I feel like I butchered the french but whatever....
whhaaaa compulsory epq .... gross. Idk if you've done yours or not ... but my advice (if I actually have the right to even give advice) would be to not leave everything till the last minute and do it on something you're actually interested about.

Well UCL are meant to give you your outcome 3 weeks after you do your interview. I did mine on the 4th so I should hear back by the 25th ... but with the reference problem it will prolly take longer - we keep waiting I guess.

Haha isn’t mine isn’t due until next year so err procrastination central over here :rofl:
Yeah mines quite interesting to research about but I just haven’t written much up at the moment :smile:
Best of luck :jumphug:
I didn't expect anything less from a jumbo dumbo. But yh I've kinda calmed down so je n'ai plus besoin de tes calins .... hmmm I feel like I butchered the french but whatever....

hehe je vais quand même te faire des câlins
Fwahhhhhhhhhhhhh I made a whole update just to accidentally click off last second. Grr I hate tsr!
Fwahhhhhhhhhhhhh I made a whole update just to accidentally click off last second. Grr I hate tsr!

This is why I usually type them up on Word documents first lmao.

Damn. I feel your pain though. I know what it's like. :wink:
01/03/20

Let's go take 2 ... to any of you prospective gyg-ers remember to type up your updates on word before you transfer it to tsr, but all it takes is 1 misclick to another link and whoosh your work is gone. N e ways my introduction was something to do with how I was meant to update yesterday on a leap day but now I'll have to wait another 4 years. I'm not even sure if I'm going to still be doing a gyg in 4 years time. Like it's fun and all but I'm pretty sure uni is gonna be tuff and everything is gonna pile up. Maybe I might change to monthly updates with small updates weekly for other stuff. Well I have some good news to tell you guys, so yh let's get straight into it.

So big news is that I've heard back from UCL and I received an offer. It was really nerve-wracking because they updated ucas before sending me and email. So I got an email saying 'there has been an update your application' and that was it. Though there's this slight worry that they've giving me an offer by accident, because everyone else who did their interview on the same day as me haven't heard back yet. The offer is A*AA which is one less than my Cambridge offer so it's decent. Now I just need to get the grades. I also had my Imperial interview the day after I got the offer so it calmed down my nerves a whole lot before I went to the MMI.

Speaking of the Imperial interview, I actually felt like it went a lot better than my UCL and St. George's. All the interviewers and the admissions staff there were all really sweet and it actually felt like they were interested in me when they were asking their questions. The campus also looks really nice and modern so now I'm contemplating what I'll have to do if I get an offer, because then I have to decide between my insurance. Hmmm imma let future me worry about it actually.

Because I haven't updated in so long a lot of things have happened since then. We got back most of our mocks and it was really insightful. Here's what I got I my mocks:

Spoiler

Soo that's all the important stuff let's go to what else happened this week.

Biology

With one of our teachers we went over the exams ... I don't think we finished going over them even though we had 3 lessons ... though I missed a lesson so we might have. With my other teacher we finished off excretion and start ecology. The final chapters. My teacher said that it's mostly just definitions and gcse geography and it has been okay so far. Though case study ptsd might come back to haunt me. :redface:

Chemistry

Same thing as bio ... I missed a lesson with one teacher so I'm not really sure what we're doing with her. With my organic teacher we started optical isomers which has been really fun. My teacher gave us samples of carvone and how they smell different depending on the chirality if them. It's just really cool how something can smell different even though it's practically the same thing. We then did some molymod stuff which is actually the best thing in chemistry. Istg someone needs to buy me a molymod set for my day this year! Hehe I'm such a nerd! :h:

Further Maths

We missed our only mechanics lesson today because of a school ball thing that meant that the period 5 on Friday was cancelled for all sixth form students. It meant that I could leave at lunch coz I had no lessons in the afternoon ... Love myself some free half days! I'm not sure if I told you guys this before, but my stats teacher is pregnant and is going off for maternity leave next week. We'll miss her no doubt .. but one of our old teachers who's actually retired is coming back to replace her, so it's not too bad. We're probably going to finish off FS1 next lesson. We just need to complete the power function and we're done. Somehow even though stats is longer than mechanics we blitzed through it. In pure we did more stuff on differential equations and now all we have left is the boundary conditions and then applying them to problems. I'm kinda happy because now I can say I can do second-order non-homogeneous differential equations and sound like such a smart-ass!

Hmmm non academic stuff has been halted mainly due to me focusing on my EPQ although I did spend some time listening to BTS's new album and started a new anime series, which I'll talk about a bit later. :biggrin: With my EPQ i need to finish off my secondary research, then do my primary research and link sources together. Then I need to plan the dissertation and do the dissertation. Then do the evaluation and make a presentation. It's quite a lot of work but I feel like it's almost barely just manageable. :s-smilie:

N e ways why stress when there's other things to talk about. Here's anime of the week for you fellow weebs.

Spoiler

Song of the week goes to...

Spoiler

Hehe that question thing I used to do has completely just disappeared. Well imma maybe start proper revision after I finish off my EPQ which should be before mid-March. After that I'm going to make a really cool spreadsheet with all the past papers. I feel like that's the thing which I really haven't got the time to do for my mocks. I did't even look at a past-paper question for bio even though I was so adamant that it's the best way to revise. Well it'll all be fine after I finish this dumb EPQ. Another thing I have to do is my DBS for med. For it you need 3 forms of ID to prove who you are as well as where you live. But I only have my birth certificate and passport :s-smilie: - so I'm thinking about getting a provisional driving license or open up a bank account to prove to people where I live.

Ici est ma tagliste: :heart:

Spoiler

Welp that was a good 2 hours of my day just gone like poof! Sorry if there's just massive blocks of text ... formatting this would literally kill me after all the time it's already taken me! Hmm good luck to everyone whatever you're doing! Time to binge-do EPQ work! :pika:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending