The Student Room Group

acne duac HELP

So I’ve been having trouble with spots for at least 5 years, I was on Epiduo until recently but I felt that my skin was just resisting it and the product became normal to my skin, which caused flare ups. I decided to go to the GP and they prescribed me DUAC, which was a miracle, it cleared up EVERYTHING in 3 weeks and stayed that way for a couple weeks until I started to break out again and the cream wasn’t working. I went back and they said that the bacteria had become resistant which sucks and I was so upset because I thought I had finally found something that cleared up everything and actually works. Then I was trying out zineryt which gave me more spots, especially on my forehead, literally like hundreds of small bumps so now I’m back to 0. I’m using something called acnecide currently which is like Epiduo but stronger and it has calmed my forehead spots down and made them much better, but my cheeks&nose& neck is full of spots. I just feel like I can’t find a cure for me and it’s really affecting me since I hate the way it looks. Is it worth going back on DUAC even though the bacteria is resistant, I haven’t used it in 2 months so maybe there’s hope that it will work again in cycles???
Anyone please help, share your experiences with DUAC or any of the products and what I should do?
Hey, I know your pain. Had terrible acne as a kid. Was prescribed DUAC myself and it worked great, until, you guessed it, the bacteria became resistant. After many years, the item which finally worked was Hibiscrub. My doctor told me to wash my face with it daily and it would kill the cause of the acne itself. I would finish by using an oil-free moisturiser like Clean & Clear by J&J.

Been pretty much acne-free for over 5 years now.
Reply 2
Original post by EmperorNino
Hey, I know your pain. Had terrible acne as a kid. Was prescribed DUAC myself and it worked great, until, you guessed it, the bacteria became resistant. After many years, the item which finally worked was Hibiscrub. My doctor told me to wash my face with it daily and it would kill the cause of the acne itself. I would finish by using an oil-free moisturiser like Clean & Clear by J&J.

that's great to hear, lucky you, just searched it up and its used mainly for bacterial but I think mine is more hormonal based, thanks though!
Did you use anything else while on Epiduo? Usually Benzoyl Peroxide is used in combination with an antibiotic to reduce resistance. I was going to suggest you keep up with the Zineryt (if you'd been using it for fewer than 6 weeks) but actually, given that Epiduo worked well for you for a while, it might be an idea to add a Retin A instead...Differin. If you use Differin with Acnecide, the extra boost of the benzoyl peroxide from the acnecide along with the original benefits you saw from the retinol in the epiduo might do it. Good luck! I'd give that some time but if it doesn't work, you could add in Zineryt...and only apply the differin a few times a week based on tolerance...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ellipses
Did you use anything else while on Epiduo? Usually Benzoyl Peroxide is used in combination with an antibiotic to reduce resistance. I was going to suggest you keep up with the Zineryt (if you'd been using it for fewer than 6 weeks) but actually, given that Epiduo worked well for you for a while, it might be an idea to add a Retin A instead...Differin. If you use Differin with Acnecide, the extra boost of the benzoyl peroxide from the acnecide along with the original benefits you saw from the retinol in the epiduo might do it. Good luck! I'd give that some time but if it doesn't work, you could add in Zineryt...and only apply the differin a few times a week based on tolerance...

no I previously didn't, I only got told to use Epiduo. its weird how I have just come on to TSR to update on my routine and it turns out I am currently using both acnecide and my recently prescribed Differin and it has only been 3 days and so far so good! thanks, sounds like you know what to do!!!
Original post by username4378620
...the bacteria became resistant. After many years, the item which finally worked was Hibiscrub. My doctor told me to wash my face with it daily and it would kill the cause of the acne itself. I would finish by using an oil-free moisturiser like Clean & Clear by J&J.

I thought you'd enjoy the concept of washing your face with hibiscrub. Daily....
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by pinkbluex
So I’ve been having trouble with spots for at least 5 years, I was on Epiduo until recently but I felt that my skin was just resisting it and the product became normal to my skin, which caused flare ups. I decided to go to the GP and they prescribed me DUAC, which was a miracle, it cleared up EVERYTHING in 3 weeks and stayed that way for a couple weeks until I started to break out again and the cream wasn’t working. I went back and they said that the bacteria had become resistant which sucks and I was so upset because I thought I had finally found something that cleared up everything and actually works. Then I was trying out zineryt which gave me more spots, especially on my forehead, literally like hundreds of small bumps so now I’m back to 0. I’m using something called acnecide currently which is like Epiduo but stronger and it has calmed my forehead spots down and made them much better, but my cheeks&nose& neck is full of spots. I just feel like I can’t find a cure for me and it’s really affecting me since I hate the way it looks. Is it worth going back on DUAC even though the bacteria is resistant, I haven’t used it in 2 months so maybe there’s hope that it will work again in cycles???
Anyone please help, share your experiences with DUAC or any of the products and what I should do?

Hey pinkbleux...A friend of mine a while back was going through a quite similar dilemna. Truth is alot of these prescribed treatments given by doctors don't have a LONG-TERM BENEFIT on the skin. A lot of things he was trying via research weren't working either.

I suggested these natural soap bars called Gen Soap bars (gensoap.co.uk); he used the Sweet Orange & Turmeric bar (perfect for acne and blemishes) and after 1 month of using everyday twice-a-day, I could see a MAJOR difference in his skin! He still uses Gen Soap bars to this day and restocks everytime he runs out lol! They are literally life!

They've even got a blog page on their website that keeps you up-to-date with skincare tips that ACTUALLY WORK and even skincare facts/benefits of certain natural ingredients specific to maintaining acne-free skin!

Hope this helps
Reply 7
Hi.. I have been looking forward to get here some info regarding to my atopic eczema.. It is a bit different than acne but.. I found out very useful info and recommendation about DNA test which contains an acne as well.. Have a look on website Chromozoom Derma test. Somebody here mentioned that the test discovered particular protein allergy which turns out into eczema. The test itself gives you an advices how to take a proper care of your skin based on your own genes.. I just decided to give a try.. :yy: Whatever you decided to try I wish you luck to get better soon!

Quick Reply

Latest