The Student Room Group

Awful tutor reference

Just saw my tutor reference, which has already been submitted to UCAS as I'm applying early for oxford. Its around 2500 characters out of the 4000 limit, and refers to me once by a random name (so is presumably copy&pasted and will show up as plagiarism), and has a fair few spelling and grammar mistakes. The comments from my subject teachers are however very positive. Will this negatively affect my application?
Best practice would have been for the tutor to show you the reference before submitting it. This would enable you to check things like names and spellings, although seriously the school should have done this themselves. They drum the importance of proof-reading into you, and then they don't practice what they themselves preach!

It shouldn't be a problem for your Oxford application, though. It might even get you extra kudos if your own personal statement is flawless.

Don't worry about a plagiarism check either. Stuff shows up identically on a hundred references from a school and nobody bats an eyelid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending