The Student Room Group

How likely is a uni offer?

I’m confused- how likely are you to get an offer from a university if you satisfy all the entry requirements? Obviously this ranges hugely depending on the university and course, but what about top uk universities that aren’t oxbridge, Ucl/imperial, or Durham? So like: York, Bath, Lancaster, Nottingham, Bristol. I can’t seem to find any statistics for admissions like there are on the oxford website for these unis. So, let’s say I apply for a semi-competitive course (not medicine or dentistry, but let’s say something like biochemistry) at a top uk uni (like one of the ones I just mentioned). If the entry requirements are AAB/AAA and I have A*AA, am I very likely to get an offer? Is there a big chance I wouldn’t get an offer? Are you pretty much guaranteed an offer if you’re above the standard entry requirements?
I’m mainly asking because I was looking at admissions statistics on the oxford website for courses ( they have the % of people who got an interview and % of successful applicants). I couldn’t find this for other unis and I thought it was really useful to know
Sorry for the huge paragraph and thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Use https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/ to find out the admission statistics based on your predicted grades
Reply 2
Since you are 1-2 grades above, unless you have a bad personal statement, you are almost guaranteed to get an offer

I asked this question to a Nottingham admissions person for Economics at their open day
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m applying to the likes of Nottingham, Lancaster etc. I’ve spoken to Nottingham and Leeds (I’ve asked senior lecturers and admissions staff for their respective politics departments bc that’s what I plan to study) about the types of students they give offers to, what they’ve said is that for them it’s very heavily focused on your grade predictions. Apparently the majority of the time if you’ve got the expected grades or above and your personal statement generally shows you’re passionate about your chosen subject then you’ve basically got a high chance of an offer. They can’t guarantee it of course but they say chances are you’re in if you tick those boxes; if you’re predicted a grade or two above their requirements then I’d assume you’re pretty safe and you’ll get offers from most of your choices if they’re like AAA/AAB. Obviously I can’t speak for biochem specifically (basically the furthest thing from what I want to do lmao) but what I’ve been told is that as long as you meet their grade requirements and your personal statement isn’t a load of rubbish (full of stuff like how you love to go to the cinema in your free time or something else irrelevant), you should be fine. The UCAS grade calculator above is also useful, shows your odds based on data collected over the years. Good luck on your offers, I hope you get to where you want to be :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending