The Student Room Group

How to ask to meet up with coursemates without seeming desperate?

Long story short, would it seem desperate if I ask some coursemates to meet up after lectures or go to pub or something?

The people I would want to get to know are already in a sort of group from the start of the year (they always sit together in lectures etc.), so it feels awkward me trying to organise to meet up with them. Although I have spoken to them all a little bit, I don't want to seem needy/desperate asking to meet up.

I just want to have a solid group of coursemates to be mates with (especially as I'm not really mates with my housemates), and I feel if I dont make an effort early on it will be hard to get to know them later on in the course.

I would have naturally gravitated to this group but at the moment I sit with people who I spoke to on the first day in lectures - they're not really the type of people I'd be mates with but I feel bad for 'ditching' them to go and sit with other people.

If you were in that other group, would you find it weird if I asked to meetup? I guess it's still very early in the year...

thanks!
Not really. Most of the time people want to invite the others too but don’t have the courage to say. So I’d say go for it
I think you should give it a go and ask them. The only bad thing they can say is "no" or their "busy".
My advice would be to just give it a shot!

If you think that right now it might be awkward or too forward to ask to go out after class then start small! Just make small conversation during your lectures and if you really feel comfortable with this group then by all means suggest a trip to the pub!

You're right, it is still early on in the year so don't stress too much about it. If these are people you feel that you naturally gravitate to then chances are that you won't have to try too hard. Don't worry about 'ditching' anyone, you can still remain perfectly civil and friendly with them too!

Good luck!!

Zoe :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending